GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,567
1 members and 1,566 guests
No Members online

Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^^Designer is Inbal Dror (Turkish.) Love his work.

Zuhair Murad lace gowns:

La Sposa by Pronovias.

The one on the left O.M.G. THAT is AMAZING! ( and I really don't like lace)
BC25, the grandmothers heads usually do
Old 12-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Pronovias:

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS

Here's me and the back of my dress I can't make it bigger so you can see the detail on it, it's actually beaded lace.

Last edited by OHNOITSJESS; 12-13-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

It's gorgeous!

On an unrelated note, not everyone looks good in a strapless, and you'd think that salespeople, moms, maids, etc. would encourage a bride to go with a more flattering look. :-(
Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 PM

^^^^^The average bridal consultant is working on commission. She really doesn't care what you buy as long as she makes that sale. As part of that, she's definitely not going to risk pissing off a bride by suggesting that she try something else (especially if she came in set on that dreadful strapless number that looks terrible on her.)

As far as friends and moms, I have no idea. I love all of my friends too much to let them rock strapless when they look terrible. The most recent friend I had who wore strapless was like 5'8 and a size 6 with toned arms (weight lifter and marathon runner) so she looked great in her ball gown. But they are definitely not for everyone (unless you plan on toning arms!)

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 AM

Double posting, but some great gowns I found doing some client-related research:

Lusan Mandongus:

Katie Halfpenny (UK)

Mira Zwillinger:

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Double posting, but some great gowns I found doing some client-related research:

Lusan Mandongus:

Oh. My. Goodness.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

There is no Mira Zwillinger store on the West coast. Unfair.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-06-2014, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^^^The average bridal consultant is working on commission. She really doesn't care what you buy as long as she makes that sale. As part of that, she's definitely not going to risk pissing off a bride by suggesting that she try something else (especially if she came in set on that dreadful strapless number that looks terrible on her.)

As far as friends and moms, I have no idea. I love all of my friends too much to let them rock strapless when they look terrible. The most recent friend I had who wore strapless was like 5'8 and a size 6 with toned arms (weight lifter and marathon runner) so she looked great in her ball gown. But they are definitely not for everyone (unless you plan on toning arms!)

It's so bad, though. Besides its being strapless, the silhouette isn't the most flattering.

Last edited by Munchkin03; 01-06-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: strapless dresses

I'm not a fan of telling a woman that she shouldn't be wearing a certain style of dress because of her body. I pretty much tried on strapless dresses because the cap sleeved ones that I liked awful on me. There's also the complicating factor of finding a bra to go with the keyhole/open back that is common with cap-sleeved dresses.
Just my thoughts.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Re: strapless dresses

I'm not a fan of telling a woman that she shouldn't be wearing a certain style of dress because of her body. I pretty much tried on strapless dresses because the cap sleeved ones that I liked awful on me. There's also the complicating factor of finding a bra to go with the keyhole/open back that is common with cap-sleeved dresses.
Just my thoughts.
Not every body type can wear every gown--there's nothing wrong with that. Despite the fact that I'm pretty fit, there are certain items of clothing by certain designers that look terrible on me. I'm aware of it, and I'd hope that someone would stop me if I wasn't.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
It's gorgeous!

On an unrelated note, not everyone looks good in a strapless, and you'd think that salespeople, moms, maids, etc. would encourage a bride to go with a more flattering look. :-(
I agree with you 100% on this and that's why when I went dress shopping, I got really annoyed fast. It is so hard to find a wedding dress that isn't strapless. I'm small but, my arms aren't nearly as toned as I'd like them to be and I didn't want to wear strapless alone in Upstate, NY for my wedding. I ended up buying a chiffon 3/4 sleeve jacket in ivory that looked stunning with my dress. I probably could have pulled off just strapless but, I wanted to also be more conservative looking for when I was in the church. It all came together beautifully. There needs to be more options out there for brides and bridesmaids. Thankfully, my bridesmaids had the same cover-up in navy blue to match their dresses. It all looked great.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Not every body type can wear every gown--there's nothing wrong with that. Despite the fact that I'm pretty fit, there are certain items of clothing by certain designers that look terrible on me. I'm aware of it, and I'd hope that someone would stop me if I wasn't.
^^Example: I am 5'0 and hovering at 100 lbs. When I am looking for formalwear, I cannot do floor length. It makes me look like a child wearing mom's formalwear (even when altered.) I also cannot do ball gowns. My arms are toned, but I am too short. It looks like the gown is eating me. I can't do A-lines or any sort of shape that is not form-fitting as it appears that said garment is going to swallow me or that I am pregnant. I'm not mad at all when my friends are like "how about something else?" because I know that those styles tend to not flatter me as well.

This is not to say that I hate strapless dresses. I just know that everything isn't for everybody.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-06-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I agree with you 100% on this and that's why when I went dress shopping, I got really annoyed fast. It is so hard to find a wedding dress that isn't strapless. I'm small but, my arms aren't nearly as toned as I'd like them to be and I didn't want to wear strapless alone in Upstate, NY for my wedding. I ended up buying a chiffon 3/4 sleeve jacket in ivory that looked stunning with my dress. I probably could have pulled off just strapless but, I wanted to also be more conservative looking for when I was in the church. It all came together beautifully. There needs to be more options out there for brides and bridesmaids. Thankfully, my bridesmaids had the same cover-up in navy blue to match their dresses. It all looked great.

I found that starting in Fall 2013, bridal market/runway week has been FULL of really great sleeved options. There are a lot of great jackets and boleros out there to add on, too (like you had.)

Big tip: the average designer will add straps, sleeves, or custom make a bolero for you if you cannot find something (just ask the store/retailer to contact them!).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-06-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^Example: I am 5'0 and hovering at 100 lbs. When I am looking for formalwear, I cannot do floor length. It makes me look like a child wearing mom's formalwear (even when altered.) I also cannot do ball gowns. My arms are toned, but I am too short. It looks like the gown is eating me. I can't do A-lines or any sort of shape that is not form-fitting as it appears that said garment is going to swallow me or that I am pregnant. I'm not mad at all when my friends are like "how about something else?" because I know that those styles tend to not flatter me as well.

This is not to say that I hate strapless dresses. I just know that everything isn't for everybody.

I definitely understand now what y'all are saying here
I am just entrenched in the wedding bubble now and getting real tired of people asking if I will be adding straps on my dress because I am full busted. I do wish that some of the cap sleeved gowns had worked, because it would be less money in alterations, but it just wasn't in the cards for me.