GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,397
0 members and 1,397 guests
No Members online

Old 05-05-2007, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

What Are You Reading?

Right now I am reading "Sarum" by Edward Rutherfurd. It is an historical novel of England, specifically Salisbury Plain from the Stone Age through present times. Really good.

I read another of his novels "London" last year, and it follows the same format, following the history of London from pre-Roman times until present.

What's on your reading list? No textbooks! Only leisure!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ziasha07 Send a message via Yahoo to ziasha07
Memoirs of a Geisha, for the 5th or 6th time

Tge Diary of A Crush Trilogy (How High School )

The Bible
Spring 2009 #5 1000 Words Spring 2010 Beta Class

*Miss Nikon* Colors so vivid, you pose like *click, click*
Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziasha07 View Post
Memoirs of a Geisha, for the 5th or 6th time

Tge Diary of A Crush Trilogy (How High School )

The Bible

I LOVE "Memoirs of a Geisha"! I read it about 3 times now. But the movie was SOOOOOO disappointing to me. Did you see it?

"crush " trilogy probably a little young for my geezerly behind...

And I love my Bible.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Reading Now:

The Last Amazon
People of the Wolf
Eric (Audiobook) by Terry Pratchett

Just Finished:
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Fairest (Set in the same world as Ella Enchanted)
The Virgin's Lover
Old 05-05-2007, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
I LOVE "Memoirs of a Geisha"! I read it about 3 times now. But the movie was SOOOOOO disappointing to me. Did you see it?

And I love my Bible.
You should read Geisha, A Life. It's the real biographical story of the woman who spoke to the author of memoirs. She was promised anonymity but he revealed who she was, so she decided to set the story straight. She was basically shunned because she talked to this guy, and he changed things around.

For example, as a geiko (the Kyoto district word for geisha) her virginity was not sold, it was more of a coming out event. Prostitutes had their viriginity sold, but not geisha. They use the same word (mitsuage i think) which means something like "catch," like what a fisherman brings in, but it is not the same thing.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Reading Now:

The Last Amazon
People of the Wolf
Eric (Audiobook) by Terry Pratchett

Just Finished:
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Fairest (Set in the same world as Ella Enchanted)
The Virgin's Lover

Never heard of those. Are they historical fiction? ( it sounds as though they are) I am such a sucker for that genre!
Old 05-05-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And I love my Bible.

Yeah, the movie definetly fell short in my book. I expected more scenes, more eloquent kimonos. They barely skimmed the sections of her life. I know the movie was two hours as it was but I wouldn't have been upset if it was three or three and a half.

"Crush" most definetly. Not sure how old you are but its for the 14-24 ish type crowd.

Quote:
You should read Geisha, A Life. It's the real biographical story of the woman who spoke to the author of memoirs. She was promised anonymity but he revealed who she was, so she decided to set the story straight. She was basically shunned because she talked to this guy, and he changed things around.

For example, as a geiko (the Kyoto district word for geisha) her virginity was not sold, it was more of a coming out event. Prostitutes had their viriginity sold, but not geisha. They use the same word (mitsuage i think) which means something like "catch," like what a fisherman brings in, but it is not the same thing.
Really? I will definetly have to look into that!

Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Right, Misuage was more like the purchasing of a geisha's sole companionship. Although I do believe it entailed the rights to her virginity as well. Of course my knowledge comes from "Memoirs of a Geisha" so I will read the book you recommended. It sounds eye-opening! Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Never heard of those. Are they historical fiction? ( it sounds as though they are) I am such a sucker for that genre!
Ha, some are yes.
The Last Amazon is by Stephen Pressfield, I got hooked on him after reading Gates of Fire (based on Thermopolye) after watching 300
People of the Wolf is written by a paleontologist/archaeologist and is about, so far, the precursors to the Inuit being pressured to move south.
The Virgin's Lover is by Phillipa Gregory and she writes a lot of Tudor historical fiction. I've read a bunch by her including The Other Boleyn Girl (Mary Boleyn), and The Constant Princess (Catherine of Aragon). This one's about Queen Elizabeth I.
Fairest, fantasy fiction
And World War Z is written as if it were true, by Max Brooks (Mel Brooks' son) and is awesome. I'm still a little freaked out admittedly. He also wrote The Zombie Survival Guide which I need to read once I'm not spooked by moaning noises. I'll just say this, there are zombies in the ocean too. And they're still roaming around down there to occasionally surface and/or grab the occasional diver. And that's just a tiny bit.

Quote:

Really? I will definetly have to look into that!
Yes, I was really pissed at the Memoirs guy after reading that book, and the real one was way better.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I have read "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "The Constant Princess". I love Phillipa Gregory.

Do you have Showtime? The new series "The Tudors" is amazing. Well, of course Jonothan Rhys-Meyers is a hottie, who, self-admittedly bears NO resemblance to H8, it is a really juicy, beautifully done foray into the early years of H8's rule, specifically his break with the Church and Anne Boleyn.

I am an anglophile and make no excuses.....
Old 05-05-2007, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have read "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "The Constant Princess". I love Phillipa Gregory.

Do you have Showtime? The new series "The Tudors" is amazing. Well, of course Jonothan Rhys-Meyers is a hottie, who, self-admittedly bears NO resemblance to H8, it is a really juicy, beautifully done foray into the early years of H8's rule, specifically his break with the Church and Anne Boleyn.

I am an anglophile and make no excuses.....
Ha. I love historical fiction as well! I though I was the only loser. I loved Masterpiece Theatre's show on H8 and his wives. "The Other Boelyn Girl" will be on the top of my summer reading list along with the geisha book.

Oh have you heard of a book called "Darkside Zodiac"?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you ever read "Descent of Woman" by Elaine Morgan? Now I am a Christian, but a free-thinking one, and it delves into the alternative theories of evolution, using the role of women as the basis for it's main query "are we naked apes or hairy porpoises?"

ALSO, have you read anything my Steven J.Gould? He is an evolutionary biologist with several titles, including "The Flamingo's Smile".
Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
Right now I'm reading The Pact by Jodi Picoult. VERY sad, but I'm enjoying it!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ha. I love historical fiction as well! I though I was the only loser. I loved Masterpiece Theatre's show on H8 and his wives. "The Other Boelyn Girl" will be on the top of my summer reading list along with the geisha book.

Oh have you heard of a book called "Darkside Zodiac"?

Honey, I am HUGE history geek with emphasis on British history! LOL! Lay down your hand and I will still be the geekiest!

PBS had a series about the six wives of H8 a year or two ago, but I missed it...in any case, "The Tudors" on Showtime is HAWT!!!!!

Also, I am a huge fan of Eleanor of Aquitaine (gotta love those Angevins and the Plantegents!) ....the remake of "The Lion In Winter" with Glenn Close as Eleanor is perfection. But a better portrayal of her in a fictional biography is "The Book of Eleanor" by Pamela Kaufman. Lovely.

Are the geek police coming??? My husband said he heard sirens!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbear80 View Post
Right now I'm reading The Pact by Jodi Picoult. VERY sad, but I'm enjoying it!

That book broke my heart....."My Sister's Keeper" (is that the right title? is equally as tragic....she writes so well!