GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,547
1 members and 1,546 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
A member of my alum personally knows an a sister with an all opal SK badge. I'm waiting very impatiently to see it or photos at the very least. I keep suggesting she bring this alum to events and meetings..... and I wouldn't object to her bringing the badge along!
Are you freaking kidding me? I need a photo of this to add to my opal badge collection. Get on it! (please?)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay View Post
Our chapter had a "tradition" of our Guardian angels (yes, this was before those were "outlawed" during Inspiration Week) presenting us with a framed gift the morning of Initiation. It had our pledge pin and our signed pledge card from the pledging ceremony, and then was decorated so that each one is just a little different. Mine is "double matted" inside the frame with maroon and purple felt, has a strand of pearls surrounding the pledge card, and a bunch of (obviously plastic) violets in the upper left hand corner. It's one of my most treasured memories from my collegiate days- in fact, it's sitting on my desk at work right next to me! If I had any clue how to post pictures, I would, but, sorry, I'm a little slow when it comes to technology!
That is so sweet. It's a shame that some of these traditions get banned. . You can just imagine what someone did to provoke that response that ruined it for everyone else.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Are you freaking kidding me? I need a photo of this to add to my opal badge collection. Get on it! (please?)
did you read my description of how I have been near stalking this elderly sister and badge? I'm doing all I can without scaring them. I promise.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
did you read my description of how I have been near stalking this elderly sister and badge? I'm doing all I can without scaring them. I promise.
I know it's going to be a beautiful badge, once you track it down! Our chapter had an all opal badge for the president. It had been donated by an alumna. We had one president who refused to wear it because her grandmother told her it was bad luck to wear opals unless it was your birthstone. The badge was lost when we had a president who did not return to school over the summer nor return the badge. There are quite a few people who wish they knew where this badge was. It was a piece of our chapter's history.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Came across this on that site. What's the story with this? I can understand some shapes being used for different orgs - like the lyre, a triangle, etc. but this seems WAY too close for coincidence? Someone educate me please

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, it's all coming back to me and I thank you

As for your other post, we see these periodically! Not just from our organization, either. A really nice one sold a few months ago and there was another listed in the last few months as well.

Here's the deal: the jeweler (can't tell, can't see the back) owns the "blanks" and that's likely what you're seeing here: made up a badge for a (likely) local organization. It has enough differences from our badge that I don't get too excited about it (e.g. the # of pearls is different, size of the stars, missing greek letters for year of founding). Could be a local that wanted to affiliate? I'm just guessing. But you get the drift. I'd like to know the dimensions of that badge, just for comparison, as well as the gold content and whether or not those are diamonds. Regardless, it's not ours.

AAMOF... I have a Dyer badge that is not a Theta badge, but Dyer clearly used the Theta blank to make it! It would be a great example of exactly this sort of thing. I picked it up for a ridiculously small amount of money a long time ago. IF I get it together I'll have a photo posted. BUT DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH! (Now that I've said that, I better deliver, huh? I don't want the wrath of sigmagirl and honey to come down on me).

Nice to see some activity in this thread. It's keeping me going until after UofA recruitment ends August 19th).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Belated, but I LOVE those Sigma Kappa badges! The scrollwork is beyond beautiful (though I would always worry about wearing it and having it catch on something...that happens enough with my cheap anchor necklace that to have it happen to something as precious as a badge would be awful).

In other news, my badge finally came in the mail! Non-jeweled and not chased, but tiny and beautiful and all mine

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilyanchored View Post
Belated, but I LOVE those Sigma Kappa badges! The scrollwork is beyond beautiful (though I would always worry about wearing it and having it catch on something...that happens enough with my cheap anchor necklace that to have it happen to something as precious as a badge would be awful).

In other news, my badge finally came in the mail! Non-jeweled and not chased, but tiny and beautiful and all mine
Thanks! I haven't had issues with them catching. Let's see your new badge!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Came across this on that site. What's the story with this? I can understand some shapes being used for different orgs - like the lyre, a triangle, etc. but this seems WAY too close for coincidence? Someone educate me please
I wonder if it's the same shenanigans I noted a few months ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Here's an oddity: A seller on The-Site-That-Must-Not-Named has this badge for sale:

As you can see, this looks just like a Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia badge, except that there is a Δ where the Α should be. Looking carefully, you can also see that the gold line that separates the Δ from the S is just a little thicker than the lines that separate the S from the Φ and the Μ, and it seems to connect completely to the outside gold triangle, while the other two lines do not. Even the seller describes it as a "Mystery Fraternity Pin -- Phi Mu Delta Sinfonia" and notes the similarity to our badge.

What makes it particularly interesting is that the Phi Mu Delta badge is indeed similar to ours already:

(Sidenote: I've always found the similarity between our badge and the ΦΜΔ badge interesting anyway. Both fraternities were founded in New England -- us in 1898 and ΦΜΔ in 1918. The current form of our badge was set in 1910; I haven't been able to determine when or where the ΦΜΔ was designed or adopted.)

I guess I'll never know the story behind this, but I am intrigued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Well, I should remember that when in doubt, Occam's Razor is my friend. It seems the badge did indeed belong to a Sigma chapter (University of Washington) initiate from the 30s. It is a Sinfonian badge. Apparently the enamel was damaged at some point and the jeweler who repaired it did so incorrectly, putting a Delta on it instead of an Alpha. That also explains the difference in the gold line. As a result a seller on That Site now has a "mystery badge" to offer.

So that's it. "Mystery badge" solved.
I did check, and it's a different seller, but still . . . .
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Nothing fancy, but it's mine! I think most girls in my pledge class got pearled ones (4-pearls more than full-pearls), but I was buying mine with my own money and I'm a poor college student with an unpaid internship. I was thinking about chased but I decided I just liked the clean, smooth lines of this one better.

I definitely did a happy dance when I came home from work and it was sitting on my doorstep! Might have scared the dog with my squeals but hey, you only get your first badge once!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:

I definitely did a happy dance when I came home from work and it was sitting on my doorstep! Might have scared the dog with my squeals but hey, you only get your first badge once!
It's beautiful. I am very excited for you. I think many of us remember that feeling!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Nothing fancy, but it's mine! I think most girls in my pledge class got pearled ones (4-pearls more than full-pearls), but I was buying mine with my own money and I'm a poor college student with an unpaid internship. I was thinking about chased but I decided I just liked the clean, smooth lines of this one better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
It's beautiful. I am very excited for you. I think many of us remember that feeling!
It's lovely and shiny and perfect! And yes, I remember how I felt when I first got my badge! I wanted to wear it everyday, but I didn't have enough badge appropriate clothing.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to wear mine everyday, as Delta Gamma allows you to wear yours whenever and many people I know wear theirs on chains as necklaces, but I am paranoid and accident prone and can't imagine anything happening to it! Putting it on though for the first time after I opened it definitely gave me chills. While I know it's been official for a while now, this is the first time I really feel like a full-fledged active! Such a good feeling

Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

AzTheta is correct. In 1941 Sycamore yearbook (page 167) Psi Theta local sorority at Indiana State Teachers College (now Indiana State University) has same badge shape. Don't know which national sorority Psi Theta became when the locals went national in the early 50's.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
AzTheta is correct. In 1941 Sycamore yearbook (page 167) Psi Theta local sorority at Indiana State Teachers College (now Indiana State University) has same badge shape. Don't know which national sorority Psi Theta became when the locals went national in the early 50's.
I'm confused...doesn't it say Theta Tau Eta? How did you get Psi Theta from that???