GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,329
2 members and 1,327 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to MikeV86
Exclamation How do I choose the right fraternity for me?

Hey my name is Mike and I am about to be graduating from a small trade school, and I am going to be going to a major university or college next and I am trying to figure out how to decide which fraternity is right for me but I am having trouble finding reference material to help me make my decision, I would really like to find a list of existing fraternities I hear that there is one but I can't seem to find out where to attain it. Please help me I greatly appreciate your time and assistance...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-19-2011, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, the first step is finding out which fraternities are at the university that you're going to be going to. The next step is to try and get to know guys from each chapter and what their reputation is around campus.

There's no set rule as far as, "Fraternity X is the best at every college" or "Fraternity X is the jock fraternity at every college." Just because a fraternity is one way at one university doesn't mean that it's like that at another university. The guys in your chapter of the fraternity make all the difference in the world, as they're the ones you're going to be calling brother for the rest of your life.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV86 View Post
Hey my name is Mike and I am about to be graduating from a small trade school, and I am going to be going to a major university or college next and I am trying to figure out how to decide which fraternity is right for me but I am having trouble finding reference material to help me make my decision, I would really like to find a list of existing fraternities I hear that there is one but I can't seem to find out where to attain it. Please help me I greatly appreciate your time and assistance...
You won't know until you actually get to college and actually meet the brothers of each fraternity. Every chapter is different.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you both that's really good advice...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry we can't be more helpful, but it's the best advice we can give. It really just depends.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Every chapter at every campus differs.

Your college should have a Greek Life office or something of the sort that will provide you more information about which fraternities are available.

Then, you find out more about the ones you're interested in in person. It's really about how well you personally connect with the group more than anything else.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
You won't know until you actually get to college and actually meet the brothers of each fraternity. Every chapter is different.
I feel you on this. I was about to say the same thing.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for all the advice it really has been very helpful, any further advice is always welcome as well...
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Does the University you are going to have Spring Rush? Do all the chapters do Spring Rush? Are any chapters on probation, or just got off? These are questions you should ask the Greek Life Office.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't let yourself have anxiety about making the perfect choice. Very often, men join for different reasons than they stay. The History Channel produced a wonderful documentary on fraternities and one of the men interviewed was actor Kevin Costner, a very loyal alumnus of Delta Chi. They asked him how he became a Delta Chi and he talked about gonig through rush - remember, this was a time when rush involved a great deal of alhocol consumption. He said he went from house to house, having a beer at each along the way. He went to sleep on the floor of the Delta Chi house and when he woke up he was wearing a pledge pin.
The interviewer asked him why he stuick with Delta Chi. he smiled and said, "Well, I've never wanted to be too deliberate about choosing my friends, and it all worked out well."
Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Y'all have been the most helpful people I have come across yet thanks for all the advice I will definitely keep all this in mind, I would really like to get the name of that documentary if anyone has it available...
Old 12-20-2011, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

You can order it through The History Channel. It's called Frat Boys and was produced in 2003 by the A&E Television Networks.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Firehouse, I appreciate it...
Old 01-01-2012, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Just get ahold of the greek life office at the school, get signed up for rush, check and see if there's a spring rush, if there is does every chapter participate? They should be able to tell you all the minor details. But essentially, check out the different rush events. Talk to the guys, if you find a group you like you'll know.