GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,329
0 members and 2,329 guests
No Members online

Old 06-14-2008, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

JJD - I question the purity of intent of the initial poster, that's all.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2009, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool A PHI A as 1st black intercollegiate greek lettered fraternity

These are the facts. On December 4th, 1906 Alpha Phi Alpha was founded as the first intercollegiate greek lettered fraternity created for and by black men. We have never maintained that some local greek lettered club or society did not exist somewhere prior to this date, even though scant documentation exists to support this assertion. Let me use Dr. Kimborough's "Black Greek 101" to provide insight to our claims.

Page 30 "Black Greek 101" Charles F. Potter, chapter historian for Gamma Phi states in the 1923 issue of The Forcean(The Wilberforce University yearbook) "Until a few years ago the activities of the organization(Gamma Phi) were merely local; but there are now other chapters doing splendid work ,but the Alpha chapter at Wilberforce is the leader." Gamma Phi started in May of 1905 with only one chapter at Wilberforce University and apparently did not move beyond local status until the 1920's based on the quote of Mr. Potter. Dr. Kimborough's research indicates that from the early 1920's until 1930 no more than four(4) Gamma Phi chapters can be said to exist --- and that around 1947 the entire organization ceased to exist. What is clear and not disputed is that Gamma Phi by the direct quoted accounts of it's own historian did not predate Alpha Phi Alpha as the first intercollegiate fraternity founded for and by black men. Gamma Phi, like countless other early BGLO's started as nothing more than a local grouping, and in fact, continued as such for almost another 20 years before establishing a few other chapters --- and then disappearing altogether leaving little or no documentation of what it truly was. All greek lettered groups are not fraternities( was Gamma Phi a literary club, a glee club, men's social club? We don't know.) Clearly, all fraternities are not(or were not founded as) intercollegiate or national in scope or intent.

Alpha Kappa Nu (1903) club formed at Indiana University provides no documented evidence that it was a fraternity --- as opposed to a study group, debate society, literary club, social club, etc. --- some documents suggest Alpha Kappa Nu was actually a club of Bloomington, Ind. citizens who held meetings on the University campus during it's brief 14 months of existence. But, it is not a matter of debate that Alpha Kappa Nu(whatever it may have been) was never an intercollegiate fraternity. It was a short lived local greek lettered club. (Page 23 Black Greek 101)

Sigma Pi Phi (1904) Has never claimed to be a collegiate or intercollegiate fraternity in any sense( it was not founded on any university or college campus, has no chapter or boules on such campuses, and has never initiated members through any collegiate structure.) Sigma Pi Phi wisely and rightly acknowledges Alpha Phi Alpha's well documented claim to be the first national intercollegiate greek letter fraternity founded for and by black men.

I chose to use the source that elusiveflip cited to bring some depth to this thread, as a proud brother of Alpha Phi Alpha since June 20th, 1970 (Theta) I am hoping to put an end to the debate as to who was "first of all". To date no one can provide documented evidence that any intercollegiate fraternity founded for and by black men predated the vision of our Jewel Founders.

Last edited by Stokley06; 04-13-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Well Stated

I always appreciate a well-documented assertion.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokley06 View Post
These are the facts. On December 4th, 1906 Alpha Phi Alpha was founded as the first intercollegiate greek lettered fraternity created for and by black men. We have never maintained that some local greek lettered club or society did not exist somewhere prior to this date, even though scant documentation exists to support this assertion. Let me use Dr. Kimborough's "Black Greek 101" to provide insight to our claims.

Page 30 "Black Greek 101" Charles F. Potter, chapter historian for Gamma Phi states in the 1923 issue of The Forcean(The Wilberforce University yearbook) "Until a few years ago the activities of the organization(Gamma Phi) were merely local; but there are now other chapters doing splendid work ,but the Alpha chapter at Wilberforce is the leader." Gamma Phi started in May of 1905 with only one chapter at Wilberforce University and apparently did not move beyond local status until the 1920's based on the quote of Mr. Potter. Dr. Kimborough's research indicates that from the early 1920's until 1930 no more than four(4) Gamma Phi chapters can be said to exist --- and that around 1947 the entire organization ceased to exist. What is clear and not disputed is that Gamma Phi by the direct quoted accounts of it's own historian did not predate Alpha Phi Alpha as the first intercollegiate fraternity founded for and by black men. Gamma Phi, like countless other early BGLO's started as nothing more than a local grouping, and in fact, continued as such for almost another 20 years before establishing a few other chapters --- and then disappearing altogether leaving little or no documentation of what it truly was. All greek lettered groups are not fraternities( was Gamma Phi a literary club, a glee club, men's social club? We don't know.) Clearly, all fraternities are not(or were not founded as) intercollegiate or national in scope or intent.

Alpha Kappa Nu (1903) club formed at Indiana University provides no documented evidence that it was a fraternity --- as opposed to a study group, debate society, literary club, social club, etc. --- some documents suggest Alpha Kappa Nu was actually a club of Bloomington, Ind. citizens who held meetings on the University campus during it's brief 14 months of existence. But, it is not a matter of debate that Alpha Kappa Nu(whatever it may have been) was never an intercollegiate fraternity. It was a short lived local greek lettered club. (Page 23 Black Greek 101)

Sigma Pi Phi (1904) Has never claimed to be a collegiate or intercollegiate fraternity in any sense( it was not founded on any university or college campus, has no chapter or boules on such campuses, and has never initiated members through any collegiate structure.) Sigma Pi Phi wisely and rightly acknowledges Alpha Phi Alpha's well documented claim to be the first national intercollegiate greek letter fraternity founded for and by black men.

I chose to use the source that elusiveflip cited to bring some depth to this thread, as a proud brother of Alpha Phi Alpha since June 20th, 1970 (Theta) I am hoping to put an end to the debate as to who was "first of all". To date no one can provide documented evidence that any intercollegiate fraternity founded for and by black men predated the vision of our Jewel Founders.

There Goes An Alpha Man...couldn't have said it better myself

simply we call ourselves the first INTERCOLLEGIATE FRATERNITY FOR BLACK MALES, meaning a fraternity, incorporated in April of 1907, which was constantly, for years multiple times a year, chartering other chapters on some of the greatest institutions of higher learning in the country and outside the country. Cornell, Howard, Univ of Chicago, Boston University, Columbia, Princeton, Yale, etc. To compare these two is an insult.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi11an View Post

simply we call ourselves the first INTERCOLLEGIATE FRATERNITY FOR BLACK MALES, meaning a fraternity, incorporated in April of 1907, which was constantly, for years multiple times a year, chartering other chapters on some of the greatest institutions of higher learning in the country and outside the country. Cornell, Howard, Univ of Chicago, Boston University, Columbia, Princeton, Yale, etc. To compare these two is an insult.
????
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you Brother!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokley06 View Post

Old 12-24-2009, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi11an View Post

I believe this is a reference to the letter of incorporation filed with the New York Secretary of State, dated April 11th, 1907, by Jewel Robert Harold Ogle. However, incorporation is not really at the core of this thread. Once the decision was taken that the fraternity would "grant charters to bodies that meet with their (Alpha Chapter's) distinct approval." and was actuated by Jewels Eugene Kinkle Jones and Nathaniel Allison Murray by "making" Beta Chapter at Howard University on December 20th, 1907 Alpha Phi Alpha became by original vision, and in fact, intercollegiate.

Last edited by Stokley06; 12-25-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

stokley06 i think you shut it down with that.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuice View Post
stokley06 i think you shut it down with that.

Peace,

Indeed the thread has officially been CLOSED with that response. Lol. Although if the OP had comprehended anything he read it wouldn't have gone this far. He wants to know why the founders of APhiA claimed to be "First of All"? Well, as far as the founders knew back then...THEY WERE. Duh! But thank you Stokley for helping the OP out with the "semantics" he was apparently so caught up in.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous_Kamal View Post
Peace,

Indeed the thread has officially been CLOSED with that response.
Actually, it's not officially closed unless and until a mod locks it.

But congrats on officially resurrecting it.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Actually, it's not officially closed unless and until a mod locks it.

But congrats on officially resurrecting it.

Peace,

And we have another with SEMANTICS. Lol.

Oh and you're welcome.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Peace,

And we have another with SEMANTICS. Lol.

Oh and you're welcome.

Who are you?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't see a reason to close the thread. For the most part, Brothers know the history while others just have questions. Knowledge is power!!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
I don't see a reason to close the thread. For the most part, Brothers know the history while others just have questions. Knowledge is power!!!!

Peace,

Ok it seems that I might have misled some with my statement. When I said the thread was officially "closed" I merely meant that Stokely "Shut it down", "Ended the discussion", "Wrapped up the debate", etc. Lol. Unfortunately, some of you took that to mean something else. I'm well aware that a thread isn't closed (or for semantics LOCKED) until a mod does so. And furthermore, I don't see how I could have "resurrected" it since the post most previous to mine was only a couple weeks old. At any rate, I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my comment. It was merely an expression that's been used on numerous messageboards. Sorry if it went over some people's heads. And I leave as I came....IMHOTEP.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the reply - others have suggested that the thread should be closed. If I misunderstood your support to close the thread, then yes it went over my head.
Quote:
Peace,

Ok it seems that I might have misled some with my statement. When I said the thread was officially "closed" I merely meant that Stokely "Shut it down", "Ended the discussion", "Wrapped up the debate", etc. Lol. Unfortunately, some of you took that to mean something else. I'm well aware that a thread isn't closed (or for semantics LOCKED) until a mod does so. And furthermore, I don't see how I could have "resurrected" it since the post most previous to mine was only a couple weeks old. At any rate, I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my comment. It was merely an expression that's been used on numerous messageboards. Sorry if it went over some people's heads. And I leave as I came....IMHOTEP.