GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,540
1 members and 1,539 guests
oncegreek

Old 03-24-2015, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Some of it does not apply. Some of it does. Other things exclusively apply to BGLOs, such as:

Perception is a very big problem on some campuses with BGLOs. At my alma mater, in particular, a lot of good guys were so turned off by one particular chapter that they either chose to pursue alumni chapters or chose not to be Greek at all.
True. But just looking from the outside in, BGLOs members and surrounding communities seem to have stronger ties to black fraternities and sororities than do white glos. They seldom have little to do with their organizations after graduation. That's one reason why I think Will Farrell made that comment.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2015, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
I feel like he is talking out of both sides of his mouth. One one hand he is saying that greek orgs are exclusionary. Yet on the other had he then says that he enjoyed being in a fraternity? Even if it was an off the cuff remark I would have hoped he would put a bit more thought into what he was saying.
Many of our organizations are exclusionary. We don't exactly have an open-door policy. I enjoy my sorority knowing full well there are entire groups of women who are not allowed entry.

There's discriminatory exclusion and then there's exclusion that is within your right as an organization and many outsiders will frown upon your shenanigans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
The problem is that you seem to dismiss every reaction stronger than your own as a Chicken Little response, whether that's a fair characterization or not.

He said something that caught my eye and that I'm still trying pondering:
I see or hear statements like this fairly often—some variation on "my fraternity wasn't like other fraternities" or "I never thought I'd be in a fraternity, but this chapter was the stereotypical frat." It's almost apologetic: "Don't judge me just because I am/was in a fraternity."

This is the kind of thing where I think public perception is important. How many quality potential members did we fail to recruit because the view they had of a Greek life made them unwilling to really consider it? How do we counter the stereotype of the "standard frat"?

To be fair, who says "I totally saw myself as the sorority girl growing up, and my sorority was definitely a stereotypical sorority?" That instantly reeks of a negative connotation. There are whole chapters who revel in the "standard frat" reputation - if that's what you were looking for and were recruited into, why deny it once you've enjoyed the benefits? Go ahead and get messy drunk with your pledges while running through campus wearing your navy blazers and khakis - see you tomorrow at the crush party with XYZ!

See how I stereotyped the EFF out of the standard frat? That's legit some chapters' experience and they want that. Yes its hazardous to the entirety of greek life, but why deny what you're attracted to in greek life?

My brother asked me if my sorority was typical. I asked him what he thought that meant. "You know, drinking and doing your call, and getting crazy on the weekend." Well yes, those things do happen. But if the next person asks me if my sorority is typical and cites strolling, community service, and sitting around drinking tea... well yes, we do those things too. Some of those things are seen negatively, others, quite positively, or just par for the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspirant View Post
This kind of thing only applies to predominantly white fraternities, not black.
I know members of all D9 orgs that have considered their membership as the "anti-sorority/fraternity," and make a point to conduct themselves as such in recruitment, programming, and in service. Rather, I see many of our chapters take the "more than a sorority/fraternity" route, showing just how much more they are capable of when you've drank all you can drink and pledged all you can pledge.

Last edited by tld221; 03-24-2015 at 10:42 PM.