GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,520
0 members and 1,520 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Multi-cultural Paraphernalia in the NPHC

Hi SoRHOrs and Friends:

Since all of the NPHC organizations have non-AA members, do you think that our paraphernalia should reflect this diversity? Do you think it undermines the fact that these organizations were founded to advance the cause of African Americans?

Some people think that people of other cultures who join NPHC organizations should know what they are in for and what comes with the territory, meaning that they joined a predominantly AA organization. I think that if any Greek organization, NPHC or not, accepts people of different cultures, they must be prepared to be sensitive to the needs of the membership. I think sometimes that means having some available paraphernalia with different colored faces than/with AAs.

What do you think?
Old 01-02-2002, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror TRSimons,

That's a very good question that really needs to be addressed! I do see a lot of sorors from other cultural backgrounds just wearing the nalia with AA faces, etc. We really need to get input from these sorors and members of the other bglos to see what they think! I hope that one of them will respond to your post!

However, I think that a lot of AA members of our organizations will be concerned that we are trying to change the rich history of the Divine 9!

Serioussigma22

Great topic soror!
Old 01-02-2002, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SeriousSigma22
We really need to get input from these sorors and members of the other bglos to see what they think!

I agree...

"Bound by ties of love and Sisterhood"
Old 01-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, this is a very good topic. I'm not sure how I feel about this. All I ask is that no matter who you are, you respect my sorority, her founders, and what she stands for. I do agree with soror SeriousSigma22 in that we should get the opinons(sp?) of the non-AA members just to see how they feel and what their expectations were/are.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Well....

Most of the sorors who I have talked to/heard from were basically like, they knew what they were getting into and respected the heritage and work that Sigma does in the community, but they wouldn't mind seeing themselves reflected in the paraphernalia every now and then. I would always welcome more comments from other multi-cultural soRHOrs/sisterfriends though.

TRSimon
Old 01-03-2002, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry NO!!!!!

[B] i dont think the para should reflect the faces of non AA because the BGLO (key letter being B) were not created for non AA
Old 01-04-2002, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyKitty Send a message via Yahoo to PrettyKitty
This is an interesting question. I don't know If I am as angry as Champion, but I would tend to feel that the para should reflect the majority of the members. I, however am one to get upset if I see some para which I feel does not reflect what I think Zeta represents or looking like an "ate up" kit kat....JMO
Old 01-04-2002, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I tend to agree w/ the majority here - that the para should not be changed.

In addition to that, we should acknowledge that if we do change how we are portrayed, then it means they have changed us. Meaning that a minority has come into the org and significantly altered the foundation. We cannot let that happen! Our collective history is too important. We can embrace non-AA as our soror/frat but they knew coming in what we were all about -- uplifting the Black community.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PrettyKitty
This is an interesting question. I don't know If I am as angry as Champion, but I would tend to feel that the para should reflect the majority of the members. I, however am one to get upset if I see some para which I feel does not reflect what I think Zeta represents or looking like an "ate up" kit kat....JMO
Ditto Soror
Old 01-08-2002, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I dont think we should change anything about our paraphernalia because its obvious that our sorhors and also members that belong other organizations have chosen to accept the principles of that organization, not whats on the 'nalia. If they have truly chosen to love and embrace the groundwork that our founders (or any other organizations' founders) laid, it wont matter in the first place.They knew that it was BGLO before they became members.

Lots of rhoyal blue love and golden wishes,
Just my .22 cents

1Alluring
Old 01-08-2002, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror 1Alluring,

You are making a very valid point! It's not like any of our non -AA sorors joined the sisterhood with blinders on! They knew from day one that this is a sorority founded by Seven African American women.

Serioussigma22
Old 01-09-2002, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

A different perspective...

I think when you're in a majority situation, it's very easy to overlook how a little representation can go a long way toward making a person feel welcome in any situation, be it as a member of a sorority, or a valued customer.

Long story short - I live in a city where Black people are less than 1% of the population. As a result, finding cosmetics that are suitable for darker skins has been a challenge. I sent letters of complaint to the managers of several stores where I shop, and one of the stores went a LONG way toward not only carrying ethnic makeup, but ethnic hair care products- something I'd never even asked for.

Seeing yourself reflected among the majority is a very affirming feeling. You go from feeling completely invisible (and unwelcome) to feeling like you exist, you're welcome, and you're a valuable part of the community. Think of how important Sigma Gamma Rho must have been to the seven sisters at Butler University. They started something that would make them feel at home in unfamiliar territory. I don't think it's that far a leap to suggest that including some representation of the increasing diversity in all of our organizations would have a similar beneficial outcome. I don't think anyone has suggested that Sigma Gamma Rho (or Zeta Phi Beta, for that matter) completely divorce themselves from their history, but what purpose does it serve for us to be as xenophobic as the larger society?
Old 01-09-2002, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorors and Sisterfriends,

It's not about overlooking our non-AA sorors and frat brothers, however, its about being careful how we as members of our perspective BGLOs present and preserve our rich history. Most of the T-shirts I wear have my seven founders' faces plastered all over the gear or I wear shirts and jackets with just the Greek letters, the chapter that I'm a member of, and my line name; because I pledged during the Spring of 83, displayed on my gear. I don't know how we could incorporate their reflection on our wear with out changing or distorting the rich history of the perspective BGLOs.

Saying it 22 ways!

Serioussigma22
Old 01-09-2002, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeriousSigma22
It's not about overlooking our non-AA sorors and frat brothers, however, its about being careful how we as members of our perspective BGLOs present and preserve our rich history. Most of the T-shirts I wear have my seven founders' faces plastered all over the gear or I wear shirts and jackets with just the Greek letters, the chapter that I'm a member of, and my line name; because I pledged during the Spring of 83, displayed on my gear. I don't know how we could incorporate their reflection on our wear with out changing or distorting the rich history of the perspective BGLOs.
I didn't take the original question to mean that you should change how the founders look - that wouldn't make much sense at all. However, what if someone came out with a T-Shirt, or wall hanging that showed the myriad ethnicities that exist within your sisterhood? What if Sigma Gamma Rho HQ decided to print promotional materials with different ethnicities represented alongside their African American sisters? Do you feel that this would somehow change the 80 plus years of history that Sigma Gamma Rho has heralded?

History is one thing - you can't dispute the facts of an organization's inception and infancy. But history isn't stagnant, and it never stops being written. You can adapt how an organization represents itself to meet the changing needs of society; just think of how in years past non-Whites were never used in advertising, but now seeing them has become a commonplace occurrence.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink Must be a Vancouver thang.

Quote:
Originally posted by SoTrue1920

I didn't take the original question to mean that you should change how the founders look - that wouldn't make much sense at all. However, what if someone came out with a T-Shirt, or wall hanging that showed the myriad ethnicities that exist within your sisterhood? What if Sigma Gamma Rho HQ decided to print promotional materials with different ethnicities represented alongside their African American sisters? Do you feel that this would somehow change the 80 plus years of history that Sigma Gamma Rho has heralded?

Thanks, SoTrue. That's exactly what I meant, and a representative of approximately 3% of the population out here, I am feeling you on the makeup thing, but at least we have Sally's so I can get my hair hooked-up.