GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 975
0 members and 975 guests
No Members online

Old 09-08-2020, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I’ve got a friend whose daughter is a freshman at Grove City College in Pennsylvania. They report one positive Covid-19 case. How is that possible? One? I don’t believe it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I’ve got a friend whose daughter is a freshman at Grove City College in Pennsylvania. They report one positive Covid-19 case. How is that possible? One? I don’t believe it.
I totally believe it.

GCC is the crown jewel of conservative Christian colleges. They take zero federal funding so they can do whatever they want.

The one case must be the affirmative action student, ie the Democrat.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
My son is a freshman in college and all of his classes are virtual, however he is in a dorm. He just called me freaking out because he missed one of the posted assignments for a class- it was on a tab that he didn't see. The university has said over and over that the professors are working with students if they have issues. So my son emailed the professor. Professor was sorry/not sorry. its a zero.

The kids were given no guidance on how to use the systems. Different professors are using different systems (some are canvas, some are McGraw-Hill).

I told him to chalk it up to a learning experience and he will have plenty of points he can get to make up for one zero. (and told him to feel free to email his advisor the response from the professor).

Its an odd time for sure.
Have him email the department chair, if he feels the need. The advisor is either another professor (peer) or a professional advisor who can't really do anything. Emailing the chair bucks it up the hierarchy to someone with the responsibility to gently remind the professor of the expectations.

Signed,
A Department Chair
Old 09-09-2020, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Have him email the department chair, if he feels the need. The advisor is either another professor (peer) or a professional advisor who can't really do anything. Emailing the chair bucks it up the hierarchy to someone with the responsibility to gently remind the professor of the expectations.

Signed,
A Department Chair
Thank you! I suggested that as well, but I refuse to helicopter and do it for him, so we will see what he does or doesn't do! It's a learning experience for everyone.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 09-09-2020, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

You definitely don't want to do it for him -- that would not be well-received, lol. If it's negligible points, I would chalk it up to a learning experience. My son did the exact same thing this week -- he missed an online quiz that was posted on Sunday and his professor stated in the syllabus that you have to check Blackboard every day because quizzes are posted for 24 hours and she won't re-post them. I suggested emailing his professor, just to let her know he was still figuring everything out and didn't intentionally blow off the quiz. Between hybrid, synchronous and asynchronous online, and some face-to-face, the schedules can be challenging to figure out.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

This is all very helpful to me since I’m going back to school online in January. And I tend to miss things like that all the time!
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas Tech
https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/10/texas...y-coronavirus/

Miami (OH) University
https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/10/covid...y-coronavirus/

SMDH
Old 09-11-2020, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

An update on the situation at IU

https://www.idsnews.com/article/2020...IN5VyspAEY3h9E
Old 09-11-2020, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

California State Universities to remain online for the 2021 Spring term. Also my son who has started his first semester our local community college received notice today that his spring semester will also be online. It's possible that any California private universities on the semester system might consider doing the same for the spring term. As noted in the article, no word yet on the UC campuses.

https://edsource.org/2020/csu-chance...ng-term/639954

Quote:
In May, CSU became the first university system in the country to announce that most classes would be held online to limit the coronavirus spread. In July, White told a U.S. House of Representatives subcommittee that he anticipated CSU classes remaining virtual for the entire 2020-21 academic year. His announcement on Thursday makes him the first university leader in California to limit nearly all courses to online for the spring term. Nationally, he’s among the university leaders to make such an early decision which affects the nation’s largest public university system of about 500,000 students and staff.
“This decision is the only responsible one available to us at this time,” White said. “And it is the only one that supports our twin North Stars of safeguarding the health, safety and well-being of our faculty, staff, students and communities, as well as enabling degree progression for the largest number of students.”
A spokesperson for the 10-campus University of California system said it does not have an update for 2021.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Temple University students move out amid COVID-19 concerns

https://abcnews.go.com/US/temple-uni...e_hero_related

Quote:
Many students at Temple University headed back home this weekend, less than a month after they moved into their dorms, as COVID-19 concerns forced the school to switch almost all of its fall semester classes online.

Between Aug. 10 and Aug. 28, 333 coronavirus cases were confirmed on campus, according to Temple's COVID-19 tracker. The positivity rate increased from 0.71% to 10.12% during that period, according to the Philadelphia school's data.

On Sept. 3, school officials announced that due to the rising cases, it was going to shift all "non-essential" fall semester classes, roughly 95% of all courses, to online only. It gave students who lived on campus the option to leave by Sept. 13 with a full refund of their housing and meal plan charges.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-14-2020, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan State is open and just quarantined 23 Fraternity and Sorority Houses. https://nbc25news.com/news/local/fra...-to-quarantine
Old 09-15-2020, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

UW-Madison Faculty Senate votes to cancel spring break, approves new academic calendar

https://www.wbay.com/2020/09/14/uw-m...-spring-break/

Quote:
MADISON, Wis. (WMTV/AP) - UW-Madison’s Faculty Senate voted in favor of canceling the university’s 2021 spring break on Monday afternoon.

Instead of a week-long break, the university will give students off three additional days.

In the proposal, the 2021 spring semester will start a week later than usual, with classes set to begin on January 25 instead of January 19. Instead of spring break from March 27 to April 4, UW-Madison would give students off March 27 as well as April 2 and 3.

In the proposal document, school officials said this was being proposed “amid concerns that a typical spring break, when many travel far and wide, would result in an unmanageable outbreak of COVID-19.”

@~/~~~~