GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,271
0 members and 1,271 guests
No Members online

Old 02-03-2019, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Spring Recruitment Chances/Advice?

delete

Last edited by rj74; 02-04-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj74 View Post
I am a sophomore participating in informal recruitment in need of advice!!

I previously participated in formal, but was cut from every house after the first round. I knew this was a possibility because of my GPA- 2.4, at the time- but I wanted to try anyway, I had fun and I thought all of my conversations went really well so it wasn’t a bad experience overall, even though it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to.

My GPA is now a 2.9 since I changed majors and got a 4.0 last semester. I know that a 2.9 is still not steller by any means, but i think it is more realistic and it shows a lot of improvement that I got all A’s last semester
So, i know my grades are still a detriment. But I think I have a chance at this one particular house.

So far, I have been to two parties and two of the actives, one of whom is the recruiting chair, asked me out to lunch. I also think them inviting me to lunch is a really good sign, although I don’t know if they do that to everyone? But they can’t possibly have time to do that to everyone, can they? I was invited to a third party later this week. i am thinking this might be the last event because we are also supposed to find out if we got a bid or not by later this week.

When I signed up, I was unclear on if invitations would be a formality for all girls who signed up, or if they would would only invite the girls they are interested. since there are some houses that are participating in spring recruitment that i haven't gotten any invitations from, they appear to all be exclusive, but maybe each house does things differently?

My positives other than my grades are that i am outgoing, I am involved in a lot of other activities around campus, and I present myself/dress well. Every aspect besides my grades is a positive for me, but I am aware of how much grades matter and that it’s a real possibility my grades could overshadow all of that.

Basically, I’m confused if all of their invites are just a formality, or if they are taking me seriously.

I’m obviously very nervous about how this whole thing is going. I just don’t want to get my hopes up only to be disappointed again. I want to be in a Greek organization, and I know that, being in my fourth semester, this is my last realistic chance. But I don’t even know how realistic this chance is.

Does it sound like I have a shot? Also, do you have any other spring recruitment advice? It's hard to find stuff on the internet because most of the stuff is for formal recruitment. What would a later spring recruitment entail? does spring recruitment typically have an event that is kind of like a pref night?

QFP

You are way overthinking things. Go to the events. Make some friends. Stop obsessing. If they offer you a bid, they offer you a bid. If they don't, they don't.

True and Constant
Old 02-03-2019, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
QFP

You are way overthinking things. Go to the events. Make some friends. Stop obsessing. If they offer you a bid, they offer you a bid. If they don't, they don't.
Probably so, and i know it's out of my control. But i just wanted to see what other people's thoughts were and if it seemed like the sorority was interested or if they were just being polite. Like i said, i don't want to get my hopes up, so i want to know in all honesty how realistic my chances are.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, but our crystal balls are out being polished!! We have no way to tell you what might happen. A lot will depend on how many spots they have available, the other women who are interested in pledging and who knows who. Those are completely out of your control. Put on a smile and remember that you did your best.

Last edited by thetalady; 02-04-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

There’s no guarantee that anyone can give you, but I don’t think they’d waste their time if they had no interest. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj74 View Post
Probably so, and i know it's out of my control. But i just wanted to see what other people's thoughts were and if it seemed like the sorority was interested or if they were just being polite. Like i said, i don't want to get my hopes up, so i want to know in all honesty how realistic my chances are.

We understand. We've all been there and have learned that worrying about things you can't control are a pointless exercise. My advice, and it applies to life in general, is to put your best foot forward and let the chips fall where they may. It's like dating, you went on one date and get invited for a second. You can't sit at home and obsess over whether your date *really* wanted to go out with you twice or if s/he is just pulling your leg. You simply go and try and make the connection.

If the chapters are inviting you, then by all means keep attending! However, none of us here on the internet are able to tell you how interested a chapter might be in you compared to the other women who are also attending events. Just go with confidence and see how it plays out. Please let us know how it turns out, ok? Best wishes as you finish out your week.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 02-04-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank y'all for the support! I'm happy to be able to tell y'all that I accepted a bid from Kappa Alpha Theta today!!
Old 02-07-2019, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!! So glad it worked out!!
Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, my soon-to-be sister. Please keep us updated as you go through your next few years. It’s always fun to see how you will grow in the chapter. Twin stars to you!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Wonderful news and I am glad everything worked out! Wishing you many happy memories with Kappa Alpha Theta.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATS on your Theta bid! So often these threads end on a sad note, but you reached out, persevered, and now have found your home.
Don’t forget to share your journey with other PNMs to encourage them as well; paying it forward gives you a wonderful feeling.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, what a surprise!! Welcome to Theta sisterhood!!! Congratulations and have fun!!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank y'all so much! Being in my fourth semester and having already gone through recruitment once (at a very large, competitive university), I thought that Greek life was just not going to be in the cards for me. But I think having gone through that rejection the first time around makes it me that much more honored and thankful. It feels absolutely surreal! I am also the first in my family to ever go Greek so I think that's pretty cool as well. (and to think I hesitated going to that first party because I was afraid of being rejected again- I'm so glad I got over myself and went!!)