GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,260
1 members and 1,259 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2019, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking for Rec Letters

Hi Everyone!
My name is Lauren and I will be rushing a sophomore at The University of Texas!

Last edited by lobrien98; 07-30-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Lauren, the idea is to have women who know you write recs. Or women who know women who know you. We don't know what your character is like!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I am just looking for women to get in contact with to learn more about those sororities I come from a family that doesn't have experience with formal recruitment and I just wanted to ask everyone I can! But thank you for the advice, I will try and reach out more locally!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Also to add if you do a google search you might find some previous posts on how to go about getting rec letters. Best of luck at Texas.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you! I will definitely read more about it
Old 07-30-2019, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

lobrien98, go check out the sororities subreddit. There's some info there about rush and recs. In this forum, there's a boatload of info on obtaining recs in the recruitment forum.

Best of luck to you!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-30-2019, 04:58 PM

Get in touch with your local ALUMNAE PANHELLENIC.

They are literally working all spring to help girls get them.

Disclaimer: it may be too late as many of them have JUNE deadlines, but it can't hurt to ask.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Get in touch with your local ALUMNAE PANHELLENIC.
They are literally working all spring to help girls get them.
Disclaimer: it may be too late as many of them have JUNE deadlines, but it can't hurt to ask.
Texas may have an alumnae panhellenic at every road crossing, but they are quite rare elsewhere. A lot of them don't want to do anything with recs, and won't help PNMs.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Ask your teachers, coaches,employers, friends, friends' parents, SS teachers, etc. And when you find one, ask if she knows members of the other groups you needs recs for. Greek women know other Greek wome
Old 08-01-2019, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobrien98 View Post
Hi Everyone!
My name is Lauren and I will be rushing a sophomore at The University of Texas!
Texas rush starts in 18 days. If you do not have recs for over half the chapters in campus (OR if you were not a 4.0 GPA freshman on Texas Pom and multiple freshmen leadership roles), I would highly recommend withdrawing from rush. Most chapters follow a “once cut, always cut” rule so if you don’t have a rec, they’re going to cut you and never consider you for membership ever again.

You need to put your best foot forward. If you can’t, I would strongly reconsider fall formal rush and wait for COB opportunities or junior year.

I recommend posting to your Facebook and tagging your mom / grandmas saying you have decided to go through sorority recruitment at UT this month and are seeking recommendation letters from alumnae from the following chapters: (and then list all the UT chapters you don’t have a rec from yet). Ask people to DM you if they’re able to help!

You never know who you might know that is Greek. A friend’s mother, a former teacher, a neighbor, your mom’s best friend from childhood. Cast a wide net quickly and see what you can find this week. Do you have ANY friends on campus who are in a sorority?

Hopefully you have your high school and freshman year transcripts, rush resume, & headshot ready to go in case you find women you know to help. And please don’t forget a hand written thank you note!
Old 08-01-2019, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes! I went to high school in Austin and I have know around 1-3 people in almost all the houses! I have pretty good GPA considering I just transferred from another college and I also found out about my admission to UT very late in June so I have been hurrying to find the last two recommendation letters but I also think that I have made a lot of progress in the last 5 weeks! Rushing as a sophomore I know that UT has a quota for each house and I am hoping for the best outcome I know Texas rush is very competitive but I am trying to stay confident about my chances! Thanks for all the advice!!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

I am so glad you are almost done with your recs! Rushing as a sophomore at Texas is doable. Just be open to any of the amazing chapters there.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobrien98 View Post
Yes! I went to high school in Austin and I have know around 1-3 people in almost all the houses! I have pretty good GPA considering I just transferred from another college and I also found out about my admission to UT very late in June so I have been hurrying to find the last two recommendation letters but I also think that I have made a lot of progress in the last 5 weeks! Rushing as a sophomore I know that UT has a quota for each house and I am hoping for the best outcome I know Texas rush is very competitive but I am trying to stay confident about my chances! Thanks for all the advice!!
You’re in good shape then! Have you thought about asking the girls you know in those last 2 chapters who wrote their recs? (Or have your mom call their moms to get around “silence”)

Good luck!