GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 2,011
0 members and 2,011 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2017, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
And those of us who have been in involved beyond college know that no NPC organization is going to close a chapter at Indiana University without very good reasons. It is a huge financial hit to lose a chapter of that size. It can be a reputational hit to not be on a campus like IU. There are thousands of upset alumnae when a chapter of this caliber is closed. The risks have to outweigh the benefits for a chapter to be closed and the benefits of chapters at IU are huge.

Without having any idea what led to the closing, I know it had to be major.
Especially since the chapter would have been celebrating their 100th anniversary this year.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's pretty much what I said in the first sentence There seemed to be posts that were expressing incredulity that parents even had an emotion about it. I'm not sure why it would be surprising as we are living in the Helicopter Age.
I almost mentioned the helicopter age, then chose not to. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

And also the age of people thinking that the legal system exists to validate their feelings.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I really cannot believe that:

1. People actually think the members don't know why this happened.

2. Parents are involved.

I was in the meeting with the Executive Board at convention when the decision was made to close my own chapter (numbers, not risk management reasons). It is an experience I would never wish on anyone.

The thought that Tri Delta would close a chapter like IU on a whim without making the process exceedingly clear to the members over many months is ludicrous. Only someone with their head in the sand and in complete denial would think otherwise. For DDD to close down this chapter, it had to be bad and long-term.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

TriDeltaSallie,

You summed this up perfectly! Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hear, hear Sallie!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post

2. Parents are involved.

I was in the meeting with the Executive Board at convention when the decision was made to close my own chapter (numbers, not risk management reasons). It is an experience I would never wish on anyone.

The thought that Tri Delta would close a chapter like IU on a whim without making the process exceedingly clear to the members over many months is ludicrous. Only someone with their head in the sand and in complete denial would think otherwise. For DDD to close down this chapter, it had to be bad and long-term.
I agree entirely.

The question ultimately is: are the collegians holding back, making it seem like they did nothing wrong, so the parents are outraged "for" them... or have the parents gone rogue?

I think it's outrageous that the parents are taking this on and demanding answers, but at least I might understand it a little more if the collegians are shrugging their shoulders and playing dumb.

That being said...

Petition signing and lawyers? Get real.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-17-2017, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post

2. Parents are involved.

Well put, sister!

Regarding the talk of whether or not alumnae should receive an answer regarding what happened from EO, there's nothing saying that alumnae have not been informed. However, this is chapter and organizational business, and details of what happened should not be necessarily spread around. As an alumna of a different chapter (and not a volunteer, etc), it's not my business regarding what lead to this chapter's closure. I trust that my organization took the proper and necessary steps regarding this chapter's closure.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a genuine question/concern for the new members who were not yet initiated (thank goodness) into the organization in question. WHY can't you tell girls during recruitment that a chapter is on probation and/or is at risk of being shut down?

My freshman year, I was a new member of one sorority. This sorority was shut down about halfway into the new member process for a variety of (valid) reasons. My new member class was not yet initiated. It was a crazy time. We had someone from Nationals (I can't remember her title, kind of like a CDC for DG's) living in the house for WEEKS and on the day we were all supposed to be initiated we all got ready, including the lady from Nationals, and she got a call a few moments before initiation from Nationals to shut down initiation because they were about to revoke the sorority's charter. Yes, the chapter was a MESS. But the decision was that last minute. All of us new members were extremely confused. During the recruitment process, NO ONE had told us the chapter was in trouble, because our Pi Chis / Rho Gammas were not allowed to say a word about it. And no, I did not hear any kind of rumor or talk about how this chapter was such a mess. Word just didn't get around at my school like that. Perhaps this school in question is different, and the girls going through recruitment did know the chapter was in trouble. But the fact of the matter is, during recruitment, no one is allowed to say this formally, so how are the girls going through TRULY supposed to know? Having experienced this firsthand, I felt SO cheated. I would not have accepted my bid if I had known that getting shut down was even a remote possibility.

I understand that if girls are told a chapter is in trouble during recruitment, it will hurt their numbers greatly, and not many girls ( although there still may be some who won't care) will choose to accept bids from chapters in trouble. My response to this is- okay, so you're going to screw over these girls? I definitely got screwed over, just so my former chapter could "try to get back on their feet." Basically, my new member class was "used" to try to salvage what was left of the chapter. That is SO unfair for new members to be introduced into a failing chapter and having the burden of "fixing" it. When our charter was revoked, Nationals indeed told us that they had hoped our new member class would fix things. Oh, how nice, thank you for making my freshman year hell! It really was hell for me. I was absolutely humiliated when the chapter was pulled, seeing all my other friends getting initiated into their sororities. It is not something that new members take lightly and I feel for these former tri delt new members.

I was lucky enough to find another organization that accepted me despite my past. But it was not easy. And at first, it was a bit awkward having to fit in, being known as "the girl who WAS an XYZ, but is NOW an ABC." There is also awkwardness with bigs: my former big did NOT want me to be in another sorority and ceased all communication with me. Now, I am over it, but at the beginning, it sucked.

Just wanted to give this perspective. I really wish Nationals of my original sorority had not used my new member class like that. I really really think girls should be informed of any probation a chapter is on, because at least at my school, no one was allowed to discuss it during recruitment, and the sorority in question kept it extremely hush-hush. It was also not posted on our school's greek life website, as I understand it is posted on some school's websites. Once I was in the sorority, yes I knew they were on probation (a little too little too late), however every member told us it was "no big deal" and "nothing would happen"... yet we were shut down.

I am interested to see what you all think, or if anyone has been in similar circumstances. Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Deltagrandma, thank you for sharing that story. What a really terrible thing to do to you and the other young women about to be initiated. I am glad that it worked out for you in the end. I can't imagine what you went through.

It is a very difficult situation. I have no answers.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry you had this experience. While I certainly don't know the particulars for your chapter, I do know that some chapters are shut down for behaviour THAT term so they may not have even been on some sort of status prior to that event. Each case is different and should be considered independent of others.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 PM

WOW. What would have happened if the phone would have been busy and the rep from nationals wouldn't have gotten the call in time? You all would have been initiated, and that would REALLY have sucked! (Although I would hope in such circumstances the sorority would release women and let them pledge elsewhere.)

My chapter was closed halfway through a pledge period. The night the girls accepted their bids, the active sisters were very honest with them and told them they were on probation for numbers and could possibly close, and they would release them if that was something they didn't want to take on. They all decided to stay. I'm really proud of my sisters for doing that.

The kind of probation is a big factor. If a chapter's on probation for risk management issues, I believe rushees should definitely know that, just for their own safety's sake. deltagrandma's situation, though, sounds like it was more numbers based. The fact is, if you're hoping a pledge class will "save" the chapter, you might as well hope for Santa Claus. Chapters very rarely get turned around during formal rush, they get turned around the other 360 days of the year.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

97.5% of the time that a chapter is on probation, they do not close. So if a chapter is on probation and they are committed to turning things around (particularly if it's risk management, scholarship or finance related), telling everybody in advance could really just kill the chapter for no reason. When it's for numbers, I don't think people are ever surprised. It's clear that they have 8 or 12 members when the other chapters on their campus have 100.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
https://www.wthr.com/article/iu-soro...eep-house-open

on going saga .. Judge gave a reprieve on the eviction until a hearing on 4/13.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

While not a complete closure, the Kappa chapter of Delta Delta Delta at the University of Nebraska - Lincoln has terminated a group of members. I believe campus total is somewhere around 170 this semester but am unsure of how many members the Kappa chapter had.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/c...2e8fe7daa.html
Old 04-29-2017, 10:45 AM

I started reading this article and was ready to say "ugh, I hate membership reviews like this, they just tear a chapter and friendships apart."

But if the rest of the article is to be believed, it sounds as though this chapter was torn apart to begin with.