GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,344
0 members and 1,344 guests
No Members online

Old 03-21-2012, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
Lane swerve here....

I looked at some of the UT Chapter web sites. And some of the chapters have SWIMMING POOLS!!!

Holy shit...makes it sound like a resort. In my day, a few of the fraternities had them but not sororities.

And Alpha Delta Pi has kitchenettes connecting rooms in addition to a swimming pool.

Okay, I loved my college days, wouldn't change it for the world. But, I swear I would have traded my tiny closet room and sleeping porch for a pool and kitchenette ANY DAY!

THOSE SOUTHERN TEXAS BELLES HAVE IT GOOD.

Makes my days look like CAMPING...and that was just <mumbles>nearly enty years go.

...End of lane swerve...
This made me want to go look for house pics, and I can't stop laughing at this unfortunate grammar error I found on one of the chapter's sites:

"Every two weeks we host a Mexican Guest Lunch where each member can bring a guest to the house for lunch"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Another question! I have a foreign name that is not long or particularly hard to say, but is not something anybody would've heard before.

Would it hurt that I don't have a "normal" name? I really don't want to go by a different name, but realistically speaking, am I going to be at a significant disadvantage because of it? I'm a sophomore, so recruitment will already be a challenge and I really wouldn't be opposed to going by a cute American name for a week if it would help me get a bid.

Last edited by TexasToast; 03-21-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I would edit this ASAP. You may have just given yourself away.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasToast View Post
Another question! I have a foreign name that is not long or particularly hard to say, but is not something anybody would've heard before.

Would it hurt that I don't have a "normal" name? I really don't want to go by a different name, but realistically speaking, am I going to be at a significant disadvantage because of it? I'm a sophomore, so recruitment will already be a challenge and I really wouldn't be opposed to going by a cute American name for a week if it would help me get a bid.
I really wouldn't recommend a name change just for recruitment.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I really wouldn't recommend a name change just for recruitment.
In total agreement. There are all types of problems that can arise from this.

When I was a collegian years ago, a young woman came through rush who had an extremely unusual name. I can't remember how she spelled it, but after all these years I remember that it was pronounced like the phrase 'silly canary' because that's what she'd added to all her pre-recruitment forms and even her name tag. It made her memorable in a positive way and took a lot of stress off the sorority members who would be meeting her and unable to pronounce her name otherwise. It also provided a conversation topic. Perhaps you can come up with a similar tactic with your name.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

The name "issue" seems a critical part of the fun the sorority members have in preparation! How DO you pronounce that girl's name? Whoever gets her, make sure you ask her how to say her name! Believe me, you will be discussed if you have a weird name. And discussion is good. The US is not compromised of Smiths and Joneses so own your name. It's also a good conversation tool. What is its ethnic heritage? Have you visited there? Do you have relatives there? You can see how just your last name can kick start a whole string of questions that can lead on to more interesting topics.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
On the flip side, I remember women with the same name coming through, i.e. there were two Suzie Smiths almost every year. Having a duplicate name is much worse than having a unique one.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Don't get me going about the 2 girls with the same name who came through rush 1 year and both went to the same pref but 1 got a bid there and the other didn't. The wrong one was handed a bid. What a mess.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
This made me want to go look for house pics, and I can't stop laughing at this unfortunate grammar error I found on one of the chapter's sites:

"Every two weeks we host a Mexican Guest Lunch where each member can bring a guest to the house for lunch"
Yes, some of them have swimming pools. Some also still have sleeping porches so its a big mix. If I remember correctly, most require that you must live in the house as a sophomore - but that would certainly be something to ask about.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Most houses encourage the girls to live in house after the freshman year, but the reality is most houses don't have enough room for everyone, so those rooms are usually given out based on some type of point system.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 AM

As far as the name things, that happens everywhere - anyone who went to college in Pennsylvania has run across some corkers of German/Italian/Slavic names. (Including myself in this one.)
Old 03-22-2012, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
The name "issue" seems a critical part of the fun the sorority members have in preparation! How DO you pronounce that girl's name? Whoever gets her, make sure you ask her how to say her name! Believe me, you will be discussed if you have a weird name. And discussion is good. The US is not compromised of Smiths and Joneses so own your name. It's also a good conversation tool. What is its ethnic heritage? Have you visited there? Do you have relatives there? You can see how just your last name can kick start a whole string of questions that can lead on to more interesting topics.
I didn't even think of that! I guess it really could be a positive! Thank you all for being so helpful, especially you DubaiSis. Now I just have to cross my fingers I get a bid come August!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad to help.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I'll admit to practicing a PNM's name if I knew she was coming in that round. You never want to be the one who butchers it.

And yes, it's a welcomed break from all the Katies, Brittanys, and Jessicas.

My fave was when you were like "which Katie?" and someone answers "you know, the one with the blonde hair." That really narrows it down.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I am sure that I along with my sisters are not only ones who did this.
We would look at the names of all the girls and see if there were funny names or odd names. It didn't matter if we could pronounce them or not, we just looked.
At the time, Effie and Heddie were considered "odd." I think that we also had an October come through. Not hard names to pronounce, just different. Well, to us, they were.