GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,158
0 members and 1,158 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2018, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Monmouth University suspends all fraternities and sororities indefinitely

https://www.app.com/story/news/educa...ly/1210161002/

Quote:
Monmouth University has suspended all fraternities and sororities until further notice, citing the Greek community's inadequate response to "serious conduct violations," the Asbury Park Press has learned.

All non-educational activities sponsored by Monmouth's seven fraternities and nine sororities have been canceled, including pledging and recruitment efforts, parties, and community service events.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-06-2018, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm confused by this article and hope someone who knows the situation better can clarify. What does the situation at Penn State have to do with this university? Beta does not appear to have a chapter at Monmouth and the university is not in Pennsylvania, so I don't see how the two are related.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
I'm confused by this article and hope someone who knows the situation better can clarify. What does the situation at Penn State have to do with this university? Beta does not appear to have a chapter at Monmouth and the university is not in Pennsylvania, so I don't see how the two are related.
You should read the whole article. There have been incidents on the Monmouth campus and meetings with the Greeks and administration going back to last school year.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
It's a Search Engine Optimization tactic - just a way to make the story rise higher in search results to get more clicks.

As for the article story:

- It's another article which takes only the perspectives of the administration into account (no mention of how similar community suspensions have proven ineffective - UCF has done two in four years and still has extreme issues no matter which policies they put into place)

- A troubling element is that the housing is unrecognized, so any activities taking place during the suspension are more likely to be kept secret, increasing the chance of danger or that a dangerous incident will not be promptly reported

- To say that the students must come up with a decision because "top-down mandates don't work," but then to turn down the student's decision because it does not meet criteria set at the top is contradictory at best.

I really have a hard time understanding the method behind some administration's actions, but nonetheless here's hoping that the students at Monmouth stay safe throughout the suspension.
Instagram
FraternityMan.com
Old 09-06-2018, 04:13 PM

Also apparently the Piazzas are from NJ so that lends local interest.

I can’t think of anything that’s going to lay a bigger goose egg than this kind of action by a university president who’s been in office just a little over a year, at a school where the administration has zero control over the housing the Greeks are in.

And lol at cancelling parties at off campus houses, although with this generation that suffers from social media diarrhea it might actually work.