GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,255
1 members and 1,254 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-19-2005, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your daughter and to KD!!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erincredible85
Talking CONGRATS!!!

Congrats to you and your daughter oldrusheenowmom. I am actually on my way to a Recruitment Counselor (Rho Gamma, Rho Chi, Gamma Chi...all those fun names) meeting as speak, but I read the first post and couldnt stop. As RC Coordinator and VP of Recruitment for my campus its a huge effort and I am sure the Rho Gams will LOVE a thank you card. I know I personally have spent HUNDREDS of hours on recruitment things and going to conferences (SEPC represent!!!) and typing up documents and making handbooks and coordinating publicity--but none of that even COMPARES with spending time with PNMS and helping them out and having them become devoted greeks of any chapter!

I'm so happy for your daughter. I actually really wanted Gamma Phi Beta at first but they didn't extend me a bid...so I went to Alpha Xi Delta and I am so glad! In the Greek World many times things do work out the right way on their own. No offense to GPB, but AXiD is my home and I wouldn't be the same without them--and who would of thought I didnt put them #1!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
Hehe I keep forgetting that there are people on GC who probably know this stuff too. Hope I'm not sounding rude.
They are the ones being rude, not you. It is so sad that things have not changed, they were asking that question 15 years ago (assuming of course we are talking about the same chapter (the bank?)
Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by aggieAXO
They are the ones being rude, not you. It is so sad that things have not changed, they were asking that question 15 years ago (assuming of course we are talking about the same chapter (the bank?)
This sounds a lot like a sorority at my friend's school. She was telling me how during recruitment one of the sorority's asks questions like "what do your parents do for a living?" "how do you plan on paying your dues?" "are your parents paying them for you?" etc.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by aggieAXO

YES!!!!!!! LOL.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:44 PM

I'd probably have walked out of a party if someone asked what size I wore. I'm far from fat, I just was raised to think it's none of anyone's business.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
This sounds a lot like a sorority at my friend's school. She was telling me how during recruitment one of the sorority's asks questions like "what do your parents do for a living?" "how do you plan on paying your dues?" "are your parents paying them for you?" etc.
I think that the sorority women could be more tactful in trying to determine if someone can afford dues... but I think it is a legit question to bring up. I'd want to make sure the people I'm trying to recruit know that there is a financial obligation and to be able to communicate to me that they can assume this obligation.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I don't post here much, but...

Souldn't it be made clear that dues are part of your expectations? Meaning, it should be said at some pre-rush orientation? In my chapter, we were very upfront--people asked, I had a sheet availble that detailed every expense for the MIT period, and what was and wasn't covered. We also told MIT's our regular chapter dues--it wasn't a secret, and we were forthcoming about the fact that we could arrange payment plans.

Also, asking what somebody's parents do, or how they plan to pay for dues is rude. Maybe the parents aren't paying (mine didn't, but mine were far less than the average NPC) Maybe the student has been saving for all of highschool--who knows, but it's nobody's busisness. As long as the chapter/school can tell you or at least give a range ($1000-15000 per sememster or whatever) then it should be assumed that the PNM in question is prepared for that part of her obligations.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
I think that the sorority women could be more tactful in trying to determine if someone can afford dues... but I think it is a legit question to bring up. I'd want to make sure the people I'm trying to recruit know that there is a financial obligation and to be able to communicate to me that they can assume this obligation.
That's what information sessions and open houses throughout the week are for. If the sorority does its job by correctly informing the PNM what financial responsibilities are, then if she shows back up for pref night, then that sorority should assume that she's going to be able to pay for it somehow - on her own, or with mom and dad's help. They shouldnt be asking questions like that at Pref night. It's rude and tacky.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I never said anything about asking about finances at prefs. And I think dues and obligations should be mentioned at earlier parties. Too many people-- members and PNMs-- get confused when they are shown spreadsheets with dollar signs. And many PNMs with bids have to drop later on because they weren't clear on how much and when they might have to pay for dues.

Last edited by adpiucf; 08-19-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Reminds me of the house on my campus that asked everyong, "So, what does your dad do for a living?" Not mom, just dad. HOW is that at all relevant to whether or not a girl will be at home in your house??? Beats me. I just thought it seemed spoiled and materialistic.

An Alpha Gam told me that someone in another NPC group asked her that.

She replied, "He owns a car wash." She did NOT add that in fact he owned an entire chain of car washes in addition to considerable real estate and other enterprises in southern California.

AGDAlum
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: advice after the cuts

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
There was a sorority at my school which immediately asked your parents' names, as someone ran a Dun & Bradstreet on your family!!

Once enough people complained about it, they started adding the costs to the Recruitment Brochure, and during second rounds, one sister was to explain all obligations to a PNM. That would include the financial end (dues, initiation fees, and a ballpark figure of what a New Member could expect to pay for "goodies"), and whether or not you had to live in the suite, and how long.

Last edited by honeychile; 08-29-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Reminds me of the house on my campus that asked everyong, "So, what does your dad do for a living?" Not mom, just dad.
<sarcasm>Of course it's not mom, just dad. The only possible reason that a married woman would have a job, is if her husband doesn't make enough money. </sarcasm>

Anyway, in terms of costs... GLO membership isn't cheap. Costs should be disclosed up-front to the PNMs, and the PNMs should then decide for themselves whether they can handle the financial obligations. Sororities shouldn't be making that decision for the PNMs by cutting those women who they think can't afford dues.

oldrusheenowmom, congrats to your daughter.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

Anyway, in terms of costs... GLO membership isn't cheap. Costs should be disclosed up-front to the PNMs, and the PNMs should then decide for themselves whether they can handle the financial obligations. Sororities shouldn't be making that decision for the PNMs by cutting those women who they think can't afford dues.
I don't know how other schools do things, but here at Kent State, the 2nd day of recruitment is Philanthropy/Financial Day. Each chapter's VP Finance/Treasurer gives a short presentation about costs, payment plans, extra fees etc. Each PNM is also given a pamphlet with financial information that they are allowed to keep and look over. It's nice for them because there are NO suprises. Girls know exactly what each chapter's dues are. It's nice for us because we know that the girls are aware that joining is a financial responsibility. I think NPC should require this sort of breakdown at all schools.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-29-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 PM

Jocelyn, we did something similar at my school. There was no formal presentation, but each sorority printed up half-sheets with a full breakdown of dues, so PNMs would know exactly what they'd owe for their new-member semester and subsequent semesters. These papers were set out at every round except pref, and PNMs were free to take and keep them (this was the only thing PNMs could take out of the rush rooms). This way, PNMs were fully informed and could decide for themselves whether they could afford dues and how they would get the money (ask mom and dad, get a job, etc).

But at some schools, it's taboo to ask about dues. The implication is "if you have to ask, you can't afford it."