GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,005
0 members and 1,005 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2002, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up "Jailhouse" Party theme

No, this doesn't involve a real prison... I've actually seen this done at many political events to raise money and etc.
This is how ya do it. Okay, the main jist is that you can have ppl put in 'jail' for like 3-5 dollars. So let's say I want to put Tom Earp in jail. So, I tell the ppl who's throwing this shindig (you) I want him to be in jail and you and your respective posse go and find him at the party 'arrest' him, and them stick him in this streamer-lined 'cell'. So, after I pay the initial fee for that (you've just made about 5 bucks) and if he would like to get out of the cell he has to pay a fee of about 5 bucks and or he can get some friends to set bail for him. (You've just made a total of 10 bucks) This is a lot of fun to set up ppl in the cell (<-- once put Mom's boss in..) You can make bunches-o-bunches of money through this. Heck, tack on some extra buckage to throw in a faculty member and/or a campus rent-a-cop! Think about it, just putting 10 ppl at 5 bucks a charge and bail it's $100 bucks easy Well, hope this idea works for ya'll!!!!

Kayla
Old 10-02-2002, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I did this! I was arrested and arrested people. We dressed up as flappers and went out and arrested prominent people in town such as assistant DAs. Someone donated the use of a limo so we drove around town in style.

People pay to have someone arrested. You get that person's schedule and go find them. They are arrested and have to stay in a jail with a telephone and they call their friends and family in order to raise bail. It is a great way to raise money, and it is a lot of fun!
Old 10-14-2002, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a really great idea for raising funds! I have worked with MDA locally in my hometown with their annual MDA lockup (although I can't remember the official name for it)
Old 01-31-2003, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Great Idea

We did this at my job (MDACC) a few years back. I believe the beneficiary was the United Way, but don't quote me on that.

In addition, the "prisoners" had to use their "one phone call" to get someone to post bail.

We had actual UT police and I think some HPDs and Harris Co Sherriffs do the arresting, to really add to the ambiance.

My boss at the time (MD/PhD in the lab) was a total ogre, so we were cartwheeling when he got his! Fun way to needle someone being a PITA and raise money for a good cause.

If you can get your paperwork thru your Student Activities Office (or whatever you call it) I would recommend this highly!

Adrienne (PNAM-2003)

(Edited to add--I know this is an old thread, but the idea is so good it deserves a bump!!)
Old 01-31-2003, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
This is a really great idea for raising funds! I have worked with MDA locally in my hometown with their annual MDA lockup (although I can't remember the official name for it)
I don't think there is a name for it other than "MDA lock-up." MDA was trying to recruit me to help recruit prisoners and it was presented to me as an "annual lock-up."
Old 04-20-2003, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: "Jailhouse" Party theme

Alpha Phi at my school does this, they call it Jail N' Bail and use it as a philanthropy. They've had one of the top philanthropies on campus for the past few years. They use the Greek presidents and leaders of other campus orgs as the "prisoners," and the presidents set their own bail for their chapter to pay off.

I did it this past fall and it was fun; got to meet presidents of other orgs, and the event itself was set up extremely well.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Jail 'N Bail is a great idea!!

I'll use it for SKEPi.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to goldendelta
We used this theme for our Bachelor Auction one year. We made a "cell" out of black and white streamers. We didn't make as much money as we would have liked, but we had a blast doing it.

Life Loyal
Old 07-17-2003, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
wow my mom and her coworkers do this I think its for the Childrens hospital or something Im not sure but its some charity. shes always been put in jail and puts her friends in jail lol. its funny. a great way to tease someone and raise some good money!

nichole
Old 08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone tried this idea recently? Considering it for an alumni association fundraiser.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Has anyone tried this idea recently? Considering it for an alumni association fundraiser.
My friend's dad is doing the MDA one next week, so they still do it.

Bonus WAL points for bumping a SKEPi thread!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the 90's a charity did this in my town every year. I worked for a large corporation, and two years in a row they came in and grabbed a particular co-worker off the work floor, took him to the headquarters, and he had to call people to pledge enough to bail him out. One year he was assigned to his weekly 4 hours per week of taking irate supervisor calls on that particular afternoon ("shit shift" -- everyone in the department had to take a weekly four-hour shift to get yelled at by customers who wanted to speak to a supervisor to blame for their credit card problems). I had the morning shit shift that day. When he got "arrested" at lunch, no one would take his afternoon shit shift for him, so I had to take the calls all day until he came back at 4:30 p.m. laughing and joking about how much fun they were having at the charity center. He got paid for those 4 1/2 hours, and the next week, he wouldn't work my shit shift for me to make up for the week before. I guess it left a bad taste in my mouth because the charity didn't consider how this prank would affect the jailbird's co-workers. Gracious, it's been 20 years, and I'm still cranky about it. But, I do donate to charity regularly.