GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,350
2 members and 2,348 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe...

I can't believe that I have actually scheduled my LASIK procedure. I started wearing glasses in third grade and have terrible vision. Switched to contacts in junior high and wore them almost constantly until a few months ago when my eyes decided the just would not wear them anymore.

I am a big ol' fraidy cat, and all of the eye problems that I have had over the last couple of years probably contributes to that. However, I am getting excited about the prospect of actually being able to see without having to wear glasses, go swimming and not have to deal with contacts or glasses, etc. I can't imagine what it will be like.

I have a pre-op appointment next Monday and assuming all goes well, will probably have the surgery next Thursday. Can't wait!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 AM

I had mine done in October. I may need to go for a slight adjustment in a few months, but I'm still very happy with the results. I went from -5.00 and -4.75 to -0.50 and -0.25....so its very slight, but just enough that I want glasses for driving at night. Probably for when I play sports too. But at each of my appointments, my eyes have changed slightly. So they told me to wait until I hit the year mark and make a decision from there.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4Me View Post
I can't believe that I have actually scheduled my LASIK procedure. I started wearing glasses in third grade and have terrible vision. Switched to contacts in junior high and wore them almost constantly until a few months ago when my eyes decided the just would not wear them anymore.

I am a big ol' fraidy cat, and all of the eye problems that I have had over the last couple of years probably contributes to that. However, I am getting excited about the prospect of actually being able to see without having to wear glasses, go swimming and not have to deal with contacts or glasses, etc. I can't imagine what it will be like.

I have a pre-op appointment next Monday and assuming all goes well, will probably have the surgery next Thursday. Can't wait!
Good luck! I'm sure it will go well!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I had my lasik eye surgery yesterday! It went well and my sight measured at 20/20 in the doctor's office this morning. I'm still wearing the goggles, so I haven't been able to fully appreciate that I'm seeing without glasses. I had to get up during the night with one oft kids last night and fumbled around looking for my glasses, until I realized that I could see. I've always heard about people having that experience, it's funny that it happened to me the first night.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad it went well for you!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been wearing glasses since I was in 4th grade. I have never worn contacts because I have very sensitive eyes and glasses were good protection for my previous work environments.

I am farsighted...+3.75 in one eye and +3.50 in the other eye. My eyes really became an issue last July. Two years ago I was a +2.75 and a +2.50. I woke up one day and it seemed like my eyes completely changed over night. I thought about having surgery but haven't seen much about surgery for people that are farsighted. My Mom has pretty much the same vision that I do...actually I think my prescription is stronger. She had her surgery done way back in the day and she only had one eye corrected so she could see near. Initially she said it took a while to adjust but said eventually the dominant eye took over to see what she needed to, near or far. She said it was great for a while but it wore off and she is back to wearing glasses and contacts. She only wears one contact to have the same effect that the surgery initially had.

Anyone here have corrective surgery for farsightedness??
Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Jen, I had custom WaveFront IntraLasik. I don't know what PRK and SBK are, so I don't know how similar it is. I was very worried about side effects, not ending up with crisp vision, and that sort of thing, but a year later, I am so happy that I had it done. My vision was instantly better--I didn't realize that I would see results immediately! It wasn't perfect right after the procedure, but I could actually read the doctor's diploma on the wall, which I couldn't do just a few minutes prior.

I was concerned for the first few weeks that I didn't have clear vision in one of my eyes; it seemed mildly blurry sometime, enough that I couldn't read small street signs in one eye, but could in the other. The doctor said that was most likely due to dryness, and it has improved. My eyes tended to be dry before I had lasik, anyway, and they still tend to be dry, but they don't really bother me.

Good luck! I hope that you are as pleased with your procedure as I was with mine. Have you scheduled a date, yet?
Old 05-12-2014, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! I'm so happy that you are pleased with the outcome. You are right about the ring--it was really unpleasant.

I still occasionally think about taking out my contacts! I wonder if I wore them so long that it is just ingrained in me.

I'll bet your vision continues to improve. Mine wasn't quite 20/20 at one point (it actually got a little worse after initial improvement) and the doctor said it was likely due to dryness. I did get to 20/20, but even now, my vision isn't quite as crisp if my eyes are dry. It's no big deal, though, just a reminder to put in some drops.