GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,276
2 members and 1,274 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 10-11-2019, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

New SEC Coalition

Early this summer, a coalition was formed between senior student affairs officers at SEC school and the NIC. The group is collaborating to adopt current best practices and nest-best practices for member organizations of SEC campuses. The hope is to eventually do this same thing with NPC, NPHC, NMGC, NALFO and NAPA--according to Dr. Daniel J. Pugh, VP of Student Affairs at Texas A&M.

Here is a copy of the press release which will drop tomorrow. It was sent to all active greek members today.

Southeastern Conference Senior Student Affairs Officers and Executive Directors/Chief Executive Officers of the North American Interfraternity Conference Partner on Coalition

At Power 5 Conference, organizations commit to collaborating on the wellbeing of fraternities

COLLEGE STATION, Oct. 8, 2019 – A coalition has formed between senior student affairs officers of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) schools and the executive officers of the North American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) member organizations on SEC campuses. The group will collaborate to adopt current best practices and develop next-best practices to enhance the fraternity experiences on member campuses.

The representative members of the coalition affirm the importance of the fraternity experience in the academic success and personal development of individual students. Additionally, they are committed to developing lifetime allegiances to both alma mater and member organizations.

“Fraternity and sorority life in the Southeastern Conference is an integral part of a vibrant climate on the 14 SEC campuses,” said Dr. Danny Pugh, vice president for student affairs at Texas A&M University. “The senior student affairs officers of the SEC came together in February of 2018 to affirm our commitment to these students and organizations. Our goals are to further develop best practices within the conference and to engage the collective student leaders of these organizations to meet current and future challenges. Our most recent work with the North American Interfraternity Conference presents a new opportunity to positively advance these organizations for the foreseeable future.”

With more than 100,000 students combined in fraternities and sororities, SEC chapters and individual members make significant, constructive impact in their communities. Specifically, research shows that academic performance, retention, philanthropy, campus leadership, and alumni involvement is enhanced through engagement in fraternal membership. Nationally, approximately one in 10 fraternity and sorority members attend SEC institutions.

“Our recent collaboration with NIC reflects our commitment to enhancing the fraternal experiences on our respective campuses,” said Dr. Brandi Hephner LaBanc, vice chancellor for student affairs at the University of Mississippi. “Our campus communities have worked tirelessly, but independently, to strengthen fraternity and sorority programs. With nearly one in 10 fraternity and sorority members attending an SEC institution, we are optimistic that this approach will provide a support structure to strengthen the experience for all of our students while also creating future best practices for universities across the nation. ”

Leadership within SEC and NIC organizations have committed to open and transparent communication within the collective group as well as individual member institutions and member organizations, while recognizing the unique attributes of each organization.

“Strong relationships move the needle for positive advancement which is why our members are thrilled to partner with the SEC to better serve the conference’s alumni and students,” said Judson Horras, NIC president and CEO. “We hope this partnership can be a catalyst for more collaboration among higher education and our member fraternities.”

The group has committed to equal and timely communication through annual meetings and strategic planning and will support the annual SEC Fraternity & Sorority Student Leader Best Practice Summit each year. The inaugural summit is planned for January 2020.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

What jumped out to me was that 1 in 10 fraternity and sorority members attend an SEC school.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

What did I just read? I think they used this for the press release: https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

Can someone explain to me in standard English what this business is supposed to be about? Apparently the SEC schools want to proactively reinvent cross functional quality vectors to actualize Greek Life experiences?

True and Constant
Old 10-12-2019, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a bit puzzled as to what this will actually mean. The “best practices” and “second best practices” had me scratching me head. My thought is that this is just a PR move.