GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,729
2 members and 1,727 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Question for Rec Writers from a Rec Writer

Hi -- like a lot of you, I do recs every year for girls going through Panhellenic recruitment; 2011 was my biggest group so far, and almost every PNM went through a huge, mega- competitive recruitment at an SEC school. Everyone received bids and pledged.

I recently found out that one of my 2011 rec girls depledged right before her initiation. I also found out that her recruitment was very difficult, full of disappointments because she was dropped by all of her favorites. The sorority she did pledge was the only pref she was invited to.

She has decided to go through recruitment again Fall 2012 at the same SEC school, and is planning to ask her rec-writers from last year to provide them again. Have any of you done this before -- written two recs for the same girl at the same university?

If you were asked, and decided to do so, did you do anything differently the second time, or did you just provide the rec like normal? I already know my sorority cut her last year. Given how big her university is and the number of PNM's last year, I also wonder if the sororities will be aware that she depledged elsewhere. Do I need to acknowledge it in the rec?

Sorry if these questions sound clueless, but this has never come down my path before. Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think this is one of those things where you should not mention it, and let the sorority read between the lines. If there WERE a good reason she didn't rush as a freshman, you'd be including it, right?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know. I think I'd want my chapter to know that the PNM had dropped prior to initiation. It's salient information. A rec is an alumna's opportunity to give any an all information she has about a PNM to her sisters. If you want to elaborate about the why and wherefores, great, but leaving it out when you know about it is akin to lying.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I don't know. I think I'd want my chapter to know that the PNM had dropped prior to initiation. It's salient information. A rec is an alumna's opportunity to give any an all information she has about a PNM to her sisters. If you want to elaborate about the why and wherefores, great, but leaving it out when you know about it is akin to lying.
So, leaving out some information is akin to lying, but leaving out other information is not?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
So, leaving out some information is akin to lying, but leaving out other information is not?
What are you leaving out?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I have written second recs before. It happens all the time--freshman goes through, doesn't like results, and goes through again mext year, needing recs again. Usually they don't go as far as the eve of initiation, but to me, that signals that the girl didn't just give up on bid day. I don't know the details of the story, of course, but she must have tried to some degree to make it work with the house she pledged. I'm not sure that her actions should only be seen as negative.

In one case, I wrote a second rec for a woman who transferred schools. She got into her first choice sorority at college 1 but did not like the campus even though she loved her house. She did not go through initiation, instead transferring mid year. She then went through recruitment at her new school, and ultimately joined a different house than she had pledged originally at college 1. We decided not to mention any of her past history in the recs.

I don't know that I would necessarily raise the point about her depledging in the rec, as the sororities probably already know or will find out--word does get around fast. It really depends on the facts. If you know for certain she used the house she ultimately walked away from, that's one thing, but if you don't know the circumstances, why raise speculation? Allow her go through and deal with any fall out, as surely being an upperclassman alone will close many doors? In my experience, these girls have had some additional time to swallow their pride and grow up--they go through the second time with a better head on their shoulders..

If in fact she's just shopping around for what she thinks will be a better sorority and experience, she will find out quickly whether her chances have improved or worsened with the other houses. Let her be the one to tell the story, unless you know for certain what happened and why. I would hope, as this young woman, she had taken some time to gain some leadership experience in place of a sorority during the past year, so she has some fodder when rushing as an upperclassman.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

I might. I would have to have a serious conversation with her about the situation and my willingness to write another recommendation would depend on her answers and attitude.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Not a rec writer (yet), just curious, but did she give a reason to why she depledged? I think that would affect what I'd say/how I'd say it, for sure. Although the point may be moot as if the young woman is using all the same rec writers (which I think is odd, personally) someone is bound to mention it, so it might not matter if you do. I'm afraid to ask, but she isn't asking for the same rec writer for the house from which she depledged, is she?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's my deal...she did EXACTLY what most of the posters on GC would ask of her. She went through the whole process and gave it a shot. She went to the pref party she wasn't sure of, she went to bid day when she wasn't thrilled and she gave her pledge class a go at it. She didn't feel it, so she didn't take the vows that we each hold so dear of our organizations.

I don't know her, but I personally don't fault her. I would write the rec, and if it was a glowing one before...it would be the same now (unless her grades changed or something else). Would I mention it in my rec? Not sure. You didn't say how she'd treated her ex-pledge sisters (and you probably don't know) but was she running around the dorm trashing XYZ after she de-pledged, or did she do so gracefully? Those are the types of things I would be concerned about.

I'm sure there are those who don't agree with me, but if she's handled herself with grace and like an adult, I would have no problem writing the rec again.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Here's my deal...she did EXACTLY what most of the posters on GC would ask of her. She went through the whole process and gave it a shot. She went to the pref party she wasn't sure of, she went to bid day when she wasn't thrilled and she gave her pledge class a go at it. She didn't feel it, so she didn't take the vows that we each hold so dear of our organizations.
i agree! However, chances are, if it is a super competitive SEC school and she was cut everywhere - despite having recs - there was a reason - and it will happen again.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the advice! I truly have no problem writing another rec. The first one I did was based on knowing her personally and on her high school history. She's a stellar, high achieving young woman who had a disappointing recruitment -- we all know it happens sometimes. As pointed out, she DID pledge, even though I now know the chapter was far from what she really wanted. I mean, some PNM's flounce off in a huff and never give a sorority a chance.

Also, I'm actually FB friends with her and do recall, last fall, that she often posted pictures of herself with pledge sisters, promoted some things the sorority was involved with...I do honestly think she tried to make it work, but ultimately, it just was not the right fit. Again, we all know that does happen sometimes.

Despite last year's disappointing recruitment, she thinks her odds will be better Fall 2012 because she has met a lot of women in other sororities. (At an SEC school? I worry since her favorites have already dropped her once and she'll be a sophomore.) She was also a legacy to the one she did pledge -- and feels like she got dropped by her favorites because they all thought she would go with her legacy no matter what. (Could be, could not be -- again, it's an SEC school).

I don't want to not acknowledge the depledging because I imagine at least some girls in my sorority already know, and given that I did write a rec last year, certainly don't want to appear as though I'm trying to sneak one by them! At the same time, I don't want it to work against her -- I do think she'd be an amazing sister in the right house for her. How to word it is what I'm wrestling with. State it, explain why I don't believe it should be viewed as a negative mark (given that she did try to make it work), then go into all she has to offer?

As for how she left her past chapter, I really don't know -- but can only imagine it was done as graciously as possible. I've never seen anything in this girl's demeanor to make me think she would handle it any other way.

Just curious what other people's experiences may have been with this, and if there is a kind of unspoken Panhellenic protocol to this type of situation. Thanks again! As always, the insight has been great!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you should mention it. The chapter probably already knows. This would be your chance to ask them to give her another look (if that's what you want).
It would be great if you could talk with her in person. You can warn her of what she's up against, but assure her that you'll do what you can and encourage her. She'll probably be grateful for it!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I think if she's kept her grades high, has been involved on campus, made friends, hasn't shot herself in the foot for one reason or another, and you still think she's a great gal, why not? If you like her enough to really try to help, you could say she went through but really wasn't prepared for all of it (stress, number of people, the process, whatever), gave her one option a true shot but still didn't feel it, and this year after getting to know some girls and being familiar with the school, she feels like she's in a much better position to put her best foot forward. I don't think there's any reason to feel like she doesn't deserve another chance.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think if she's kept her grades high, has been involved on campus, made friends, hasn't shot herself in the foot for one reason or another, and you still think she's a great gal, why not? If you like her enough to really try to help, you could say she went through but really wasn't prepared for all of it (stress, number of people, the process, whatever), gave her one option a true shot but still didn't feel it, and this year after getting to know some girls and being familiar with the school, she feels like she's in a much better position to put her best foot forward. I don't think there's any reason to feel like she doesn't deserve another chance.
I think I would ask to have coffee/lunch with her and discuss things with her. Obviously I don't know her, but I really appreciate she tried it out. This is going off the assumptions you posted about her fb page. However, I'd try to meet up with her and really see what happened. Not trying to be a gossip, but if it was just because she didn't feel comfortable or if she had trouble finding friends in the chapter, I'd be worried about her going through recruitment again. As I have gathered from GC, SEC chapters aren't exactly small so if it was not connecting to people it might be a red flag.

I know KD has certain requirements for members such as GPA but also being involved outside KD. I'd probably also see if she was involved and kept up with the other requirements similarly to what DubaiSis mentioned. Kind of like seeing if she could add on another activity or if she would be adding on many parts for one activity.

As for putting on that it is her second time going through recruitment... Unless she took actual roles in her pledge class such as sisterhood chair, I wouldn't mention the actual chapter. They might already know that (they would at my school, not necessarily at an SEC) Well in the meeting with her I'd ask what she wants from a sorority and potentially what was missing from her last chapter. I might include that.
Something along the lines of:
Suzie PNM is really interested in finding sisterhood that will last her beyond her college years. A place where similar interest are shared blah blah blah.
She went through recruitment in Fall 2011 and saw potential/promise/opportunities in XYZ. (some way of saying that she is really interested in the chapter so they might give a second look at a sophomore) She would be a great addition to the chapter. blah blah blah

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-03-2012, 12:54 AM

If this is a super competitive SEC school - i.e. the kind where sororities are looking for reasons to cut girls, not because they're meanies but because RFM forces them to - disclosing that she pledged before (at a sorority that might not be considered the best) and then dropped is an easy reason to say "whew. Let's can her so we can try and get the zillion other girls we really love and have no second thoughts about."

Also, you might want to think about how your writing a second rec for her will reflect on anyone else you write a rec for - what it will do to your credibility.

Personally, I would decline. I just don't see this coming out well, for you or for her. If she's gotten to know sorority women as friends, not just acquaintances, I think it would be better for one of them to hook her up with a rec (if it's required for pledging).