GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,774
0 members and 1,774 guests
No Members online

Old 01-15-2008, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Sigma Sigma Closes Missouri State U. Chapter

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...48/1007/NEWS01

Excerpts from article:

The Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority at Missouri State University has been closed after allegations it allowed hazing, underage drinking, drinking games and failed to register a social event last year.
The sorority had its charter suspended for four years . . . .
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Just FYI, for anyone else who is like me and can't remember which is which, this used to be Southwest Missouri State U.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:47 PM

This chapter is an unfortunate loss for Sigma, however all chapters must follow our social event, alcohol, and hazing policies accordingly. Hopefully they can return at some point in the future.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, this is amazing for a SSS Chapter and almost unheard of in thier fine Sorority!

It seems as though The New Missouri State University (SWMO) has have problems with hazing or other violations, usually Fraternities!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This chapter is an unfortunate loss for Sigma, however all chapters must follow our social event, alcohol, and hazing policies accordingly. Hopefully they can return at some point in the future.
I echo Jocelyn's comments. While it is wonderful to have a chapter with such a rich history, there can be no allowances for behavior that does not comply with the policies of the sorority. I hope that this chapter is able to return in the future as well. I am sure there are many women who could gain a positive sorority experience through Tri Sigma at this school when done safely as many women have done before them for 50 years.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

It is always sad to lose a chapter, but I have nothing but respect for Sigma Sigma Sigma and their high standards.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM

http://www.sigmasigmasigma.org/files...e_01_09_08.doc

Here is a link to the announcement on Sigma Sigma Sigma's website.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
It is always sad to lose a chapter, but I have nothing but respect for Sigma Sigma Sigma and their high standards.
I agree.

Another news article gives a few more details on the background:

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...17/1007/NEWS01
Old 01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Beautiful house. It's a shame some of the members who are quoted are defensive, instead of realizing exactly what their actions have cost them, MSU, and Tri Sigma. I hope actives of all GLOs are paying attention - what seems like minor fun to you might have severe consequences.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Are all the houses there built like that? (Obviously this question is for someone familiar with the school.) Everytime I've seen pics of our house(s) there, they look more like a big family house than the traditional type house like SSS has.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It's probably more stupidity than a lack of love for Tri Sig. These women probably won't even admit to themselves that they were wrong, whether they are too stupid, too embarrassed or to arrogant to see what they did was wrong. It is a shame when an entire group gets to be judged by the actions of a few. Hopefully this will teach other women who have thought of trying the same things that it's not in the best interest of themselves or their organizations to even atttempt to get away with it! I'm sure TriSig will be back stronger than ever when their suspension is over.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
It is a shame when an entire group gets to be judged by the actions of a few.
That's the saddest part to me. They took a class of 63 women this fall, and because of this, these girls won't get to experience life as a collegiate sister of Tri Sigma. Then there are the girls who lived there who may not have participated in or facilitated the hazing that don't have anywhere to live now.This statement stands out to me:

"It wasn't like they had to jump off a cliff," she said. "It was all in good fun."

Maybe she doesn't know this, but EVERY HAZING INCIDENT starts as "in good fun" until something happens. HQ's standpoint is "What if something had happened to one of those girls during any of that stuff? Then everyone would be in REAL trouble then." I am glad that Sigma takes hazing as seriously as it does, it makes us better in the end.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-16-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to a sorority with a long history at the school, but that Bartlett girl needs to shut her trap. Everything that she says makes Tri Sigma sound worse.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, they rarely realize that talking to the press is not a good idea. Losing your chapter is nothing compared to some of the legal trouble we've read about here. Blaming the "greek rules" rather than the law is an interesting take on it also. But, she is a sophomore with a lot of living to do.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
I'm sorry to hear that this happened to a sorority with a long history at the school, but that Bartlett girl needs to shut her trap. Everything that she says makes Tri Sigma sound worse.
Agreed. If you check out the second link that was posted one of hte sisters wrote a huge reply to the article that make me go .

Patriae Multae Spes Una