GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,785
0 members and 1,785 guests
No Members online

Old 10-30-2000, 07:38 PM

Question Biggest chapter?

What's the largest amount of members you've ever heard of in a collegiate chapter? Either your org or another one.
Old 10-31-2000, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
The ADPi chapter here at FSU had over 200 members last year. I've heard of ZTA chapters in TX have that many members or more - chapters get really huge in the South because Greek life is so much a tradition here.
Old 10-31-2000, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard that quota has been over 70 several times in the past 20 years at LSU so their chapters must be humongous.
Old 10-31-2000, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation:
I've heard that quota has been over 70 several times in the past 20 years at LSU so their chapters must be humongous.
I distinctly remember that Chi Omega at LSU had a pledge class of 75 last year (because I was thinking - gee, why couldn't it have been 76 - they were my favorite group)

Old 10-31-2000, 09:32 AM
kuu_kuu

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorgrrl:
I distinctly remember that Chi Omega at LSU had a pledge class of 75 last year (because I was thinking - gee, why couldn't it have been 76 - they were my favorite group)
A pledge class of 76? Eek!
That is nearly all of the sorority girls at U of Toronto, spread over 7 chapters! I guess the popularity of going Greek is a regional thing!

Old 10-31-2000, 10:10 AM

Last recruitment, the quota was 71 at the University of Central Florida.
Old 10-31-2000, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Question

Has anybody here been in one of the really big chapters? Is it hard to feel like sisters with so many? We thought our chapter was big with about 125!
Old 10-31-2000, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought having more than 40 was big! We couldn't have more than 50 initiated members at one time at our school. I went to a really small school though.
Old 10-31-2000, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

And even with quota being so big here, many girls don't get bids at all...

I think Chi-Os pledge class was unusually big. Last year quota was around 65 or 70 I think. All chapters but one (ZTA) made quota. I don't know what quota was this year, but I don't think that Zeta made it again.
Old 10-31-2000, 03:32 PM
tridelt girl

wow...

I could never imagine initiating 70+ girls...

that must take all freakin day

and I thought it took long to initiate our 23 girls last year (at quota)...

Old 10-31-2000, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My pledge class was pretty average for my sorority. There were 6 women in my pledge class, including myself. That was pretty good considering it was informal rush. It is very rare to have more than 10 pledges or new members (as they call them now)rushing ANY sorority on our campus. Sometimes a sorority outweighed another, like we had only 4 in formal rush one time, while another sorority had like 15 or more (I can't remember). We always did better during informal rush. But that's ok, I'm not even sure how well my sorority's rush does now, last I heard, we were really getting up there in numbers (over 30 initiated). I really treasured my time with my pledge class. We had a great time and grew very close. I know how hard it was for the 6 of us to plan events, I can't imagine planning for 20 or more! That would be a mess! For those of you in big chapters, how did you accomplish this? How did your relationships grow between sisters?
Old 10-31-2000, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
At my small southern school, we had 4 sororities. Campus total per group was always set at around 90, quota for Rush at around 27. Zeta never made quota at Rush, but the others usually did. There were never really any COB events except for Zeta, and I only remember informal spring Rush once- Phi Mu and Zeta each took in about 4 members each that time. We thought we had large chapters until we visited some houses at Ole Miss and Tuscaloosa. I had friends in houses that had 150 and up members.
Old 10-31-2000, 11:45 PM
ecbbp890

Smile

there were about 70 in my pledge class (the biggest ever) which was every houses's quota. Only two houses out of six didn't make quota the year I rushed. And there are about 160 girls in my entire sorority which is about normal at my medium sized private school.
Old 11-01-2000, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah... i thought having 120 girls in a house with 35 being quota during rush week was a lot.. having a house with over 200 women.. wow....
Old 11-03-2000, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Those of you from large (over 100 member) chapters,

How close do you feel to your chapter? Are there any benefits or disadvantages to being in a large chapter you'd be willing to share with us? What does your chapter do to build closeness (obviously not looking for secret stuff here, just more of the social aspect) among such a large group?

Thanks! (Most of our chapters are 65 members or less, so I'm just curious.)