GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,644
1 members and 1,643 guests
Sarak24034

Old 05-07-2007, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
I paid my own way by pinching pennies. I am not saying I will not assist, but sororities are not mandatory! Books, food, clothing, ect. are.
I was mad at my parents for not helping me pay. I understand priorities but man a sista could've used a little help.
I don't have a daughter but if I did I will be honest and say that in my heart I would want her to be a soRHOr, but I would support her no matter what her decision. My family consisted of only Delta's (2 aunts, godmother, 3 cousins) until one of my cousins took a turn down AKA ave. Although there was some pressure on her to be a Delta, she had to go with what was right for her. Another cousin after her also happily joined AKA. Fast forward to me and to another cousin (who both were being groomed for Delta/AKA by the other family members), we took a stRHOll down SGRho lane. It was the best choice for us. I am grateful that my family accepted our choice and was proud of us. Fast forward again to 2 of my little cousins, (who were being lightly pushed by all of us) and they have both joined Zeta. Everyone must choose their own path. I will be happy for my nieces/cousins/daughter decision although I would prefer SGRHO to be that decision. With that being said, I'm not so sure that I would be supportive of my daughter joining a sorority that is NOT one of the D9.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2007, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeliteful Send a message via Yahoo to skeeliteful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dst4lyfe View Post
Id be mad lol but my sister brought me up this way when wuz 8 my motto was when i grow up i will walk under the crinsom and cream unbrellawuz a del teen through out my middle and high school year and all the . i members became my soror's we would do our stroll through out every were and i want my daughter to be apart of our legcy. even though we have 2 aunts that were aka's and a cussion. we want the gurl in out family to see the Skeee Weeee lightour the OOO--OOPP light but if she pleages anything outside of that we will have some problems there will be no zetas or anthing else in my house lol
This made my head hurt.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncontRHOllable View Post
...I'm not so sure that I would be supportive of my daughter joining a sorority that is NOT one of the D9.
What would you do if she did?

I don't know what I would do after all these years of hard work in my Sorority. But if I had a daughter and she chose anything but a D9 sorority because she wanted to be obstinent against me, then hey, I love her and I would let her pursue her dreams.

However, given my age and my husband, I would not be have any kind of child going any greek organization.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post

I don't know what I would do after all these years of hard work in my Sorority. But if I had a daughter and she chose anything but a D9 sorority because she wanted to be obstinent against me, then hey, I love her and I would let her pursue her dreams.

However, given my age and my husband, I would not be have any kind of child going any greek organization.
Ya'll can borrow one of mine...
Old 05-08-2007, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkies up View Post
Ya'll can borrow one of mine...
I may ceremoniously get my little nephew who needs his butt whooped bigtime! I am really angry about that. My Soror Mom has a Ph.D. in education, is a retired elementary school principal, a mentor teacher/administrator; teaches classes at San Diego State University and all she does now is run after this ~3 year old boy that just lied to me on the phone about not going to bed... Like, I was born yesterday!

I'm tellin' you, that kid gives me lip, he will be lucky to see somethings again...

Old 05-09-2007, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You know, SGRHO is my heart, but I hold all of my D9 sisters in high regard (Dang, now I am smiling thinking about how excited our neos from a reactivated chapter were to be welcomed back on the campus by the AKAs and Deltas on campus and was asked to collaborate with them on some projects...oh the love....)
If my daughter did not want to join one of our illustrious orgs, then I would be offended and hurt. All of our orgs are full of educated, respectable women who serve our communities well. What more could a girl ask for? If she opted for an org outside of the D9, then I guess I would have no choice but to support her although I would definitely have to list my objections to her.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I may ceremoniously get my little nephew who needs his butt whooped bigtime! I am really angry about that. My Soror Mom has a Ph.D. in education, is a retired elementary school principal, a mentor teacher/administrator; teaches classes at San Diego State University and all she does now is run after this ~3 year old boy that just lied to me on the phone about not going to bed... Like, I was born yesterday!

I'm tellin' you, that kid gives me lip, he will be lucky to see somethings again...
LOL!!!!
Old 05-13-2007, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Soror, I have to tell you that Babyperson SKEE is beautiful. And I know you'll do a good job laying the framework for her, and she will carry it from there.
Your daughter is the most adorable little girl!!!She is going to be an amazing young woman one day!! Wow I see a beautiful future stay close to her!!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Whew! I was just reading this post and got a hot flash at the thought of my niece joining anything else but AKA. Whew, that was scary for a minute. LOL.

I can't even see it but stranger things have happened I guess. LOL.

When I told her that I was an AKA a few years ago when she was about 2 or 3 she replied, "*I'm* an AKA!" I loooooved hearing that little voice say that! Maybe I better start indoctrinating her now at the ripe old age of 7. I can't risk her joining another organization. LOL.

However, I STILL say that she will pay for it HERSELF. If she wants it, let her save up her money and pay for it. She will be a capable woman...I hope.

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncontRHOllable View Post
I was mad at my parents for not helping me pay. I understand priorities but man a sista could've used a little help.
I don't have a daughter but if I did I will be honest and say that in my heart I would want her to be a soRHOr, but I would support her no matter what her decision. My family consisted of only Delta's (2 aunts, godmother, 3 cousins) until one of my cousins took a turn down AKA ave. Although there was some pressure on her to be a Delta, she had to go with what was right for her. Another cousin after her also happily joined AKA. Fast forward to me and to another cousin (who both were being groomed for Delta/AKA by the other family members), we took a stRHOll down SGRho lane. It was the best choice for us. I am grateful that my family accepted our choice and was proud of us. Fast forward again to 2 of my little cousins, (who were being lightly pushed by all of us) and they have both joined Zeta. Everyone must choose their own path. I will be happy for my nieces/cousins/daughter decision although I would prefer SGRHO to be that decision. With that being said, I'm not so sure that I would be supportive of my daughter joining a sorority that is NOT one of the D9.

Last edited by SummerChild; 05-14-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

That wouldn't be a problem for me. My sorority is for women who fall under the "non-traditional student" umbrella, anyway. Besides, I would never let my sorority (or any other organization) rise to such an important level in my life that it became an object of idolatry.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozRochelle View Post
That wouldn't be a problem for me. My sorority is for women who fall under the "non-traditional student" umbrella, anyway. Besides, I would never let my sorority (or any other organization) rise to such an important level in my life that it became an object of idolatry.
Idolatry, never, but I must say that being in the presence of awesome sorors or basking in their legacy is an honor. Hailing from Winston-Salem, NC, AKA's have a proud past, present, and future here. While I don't have any children yet, I do have a wonderful one year old niece. She too will be an AKA, if I have something to say about it! I figure since I am the first in my family to be in a sorority, I get to make the rules!! I also have a little cousin who just told me that she wanted to be a Delta...*faints*...lol... but on the real, I think that women should want to pledge AKA, but if they don't, then it is okay because the ones who want to will, not matter what. As for paying for my niece to be a part of the organization, well, I would love to. That gives me some time, seeing that she just turned one in March!!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akception View Post
Idolatry, never, but I must say that being in the presence of awesome sorors or basking in their legacy is an honor. Hailing from Winston-Salem, NC, AKA's have a proud past, present, and future here. While I don't have any children yet, I do have a wonderful one year old niece. She too will be an AKA, if I have something to say about it! I figure since I am the first in my family to be in a sorority, I get to make the rules!! I also have a little cousin who just told me that she wanted to be a Delta...*faints*...lol... but on the real, I think that women should want to pledge AKA, but if they don't, then it is okay because the ones who want to will, not matter what. As for paying for my niece to be a part of the organization, well, I would love to. That gives me some time, seeing that she just turned one in March!!
I don't see being in another human being's presence as an honor, because to ME that belief, conversely, implies that I am less of a person than they are, and therefore am not worthy to be in their presence. In my mind, that "position" is reserved for God. Don't get me wrong, I deeply respect accomplished black women - and I do have my "she-roes" - but there is a limit to my admiration of them. There's a fine line between admiring and idolizing.

Now, as for "grooming" daughters, neices, cousins, etc for membership in your respective organizations? I say "y'all be scheming!", LOL.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

^^I really think that you are trying to take this thread to a place that it has not gone.

Not only is it an honor to be a part of ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA Sorority, Inc., but it is an honor for me to meet any of my sorors and an honor to be in their presence as we do the work of our organization.

As far as children joining another organization, I can't even conceive of that. Of course, that's because I can not conceive of having children at this point in time. I do have a cousin that is interested in being Greek, and I advised her to research all of the organizations and find the one that fits her. I know that I only want women (family, friend, or other) who really want it to pursue membership in my organization; and that desire has to stem from them not from my choice for them.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
As far as children joining another organization, I can't even conceive of that. Of course, that's because I can not conceive of having children at this point in time. I do have a cousin that is interested in being Greek, and I advised her to research all of the organizations and find the one that fits her. I know that I only want women (family, friend, or other) who really want it to pursue membership in my organization; and that desire has to stem from them not from my choice for them.
^^^
I concur 1908%

Out of my box:

Bottomline, one must be attending a 4 year accredited college/university, have at least a 3.0 GPA, done some community service--preferably with our respective chapters located on their campus and have letters of recommendations. That's AKA1908.com

If a child is legacy or family member influenced, then they are turning their papers in early...

That is what heritage is all about.

Now, if my fictitious daughter did not want to do what I ask for membership in my sorority and actually did what she was told for another organization, I would let her go and be a part of that. Because that is what she wanted. That would not be what I wanted for her, but as an adult, she made a decision and I am just happy that at least she is making one...

But, I would not blindly allow her to do so by feeding this child to the wolves.

Most young girls like imitating what their mother does. Most. I know I did and look at me now...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
^^I really think that you are trying to take this thread to a place that it has not gone.

Not only is it an honor to be a part of ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA Sorority, Inc., but it is an honor for me to meet any of my sorors and an honor to be in their presence as we do the work of our organization.

I honestly wasn't trying to take this thread anywhere, LOL. If I was, trust me, I'm bold enough to say so. I simply answered the question and gave my general opinion like everyone else. I just happen to have a different viewpoint, that's all. Blame my parents.

As I replied earlier, I wouldn't have a problem with my daughter (if/when I have one) joining another organization. None whatsoever, because my org is for non-traditional/adult women, and has a minimum age of 24 to join. So, unless she detoured from "the plan", for which her father and I would have groomed her, and became a non-traditional, she wouldn't be eligible to join my organization, anyway. However, if I was a member of a traditional GLO, a new family tradition would be welcomed. I might do some urging, but I wouldn't put a lot of pressure on her... I don't think, LOLOL.