GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293

Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I also wanted to say that it complicates the issue because there are always girls who say " I didn't have any recs and I did great!" when really they just didnt know they had a rec because a friend of their mom or a teacher or the local alum group sent in a rec for them
Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
I also wanted to say that it complicates the issue because there are always girls who say " I didn't have any recs and I did great!" when really they just didnt know they had a rec because a friend of their mom or a teacher or the local alum group sent in a rec for them
Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes! This happens all the time and the clueless, over confident PNM thinks that she was so super special that she got into fabulous ABC without a rec., when in actuality her kindergarten teacher/ballet instructor/choir director sent in a rec., unbeknownst to the PNM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatordeltapgh View Post
The whole "I thought recs where only extra credit" whine makes me crazy on the PNMs/mamma's part. Even if recs were only extra credit in some alternate universe that was not the SEC, wouldn't you WANT any and all extra credit?

I am sure most young women (or their parents) put in a ton of effort with their college applications. Why put in less effort now when you are making a choice that will last a lifetime? Ask a few questions! Learn the current lay of the land! Secure your darn recs!

(steps off soap box)
I really don't think you can equate choosing a college with sorority recruitment. At the heart of it, all NPC orgs provide pretty comparable experiences.

As I said, the advice from Auburn PH is dumb (not to mention unfairly classist and whatnot), but let's keep it in perspective.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

My sweet daughter was invited back to 9 of her top 12 for the philanthropy round. She is extremely excited! Keep praying for decent weather, please!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Which is how joining a sorority might help. Please remind DD that just because she has not met any engineering students in the sororities does not mean each chapter does not have at least one member studying engineering (probably more). If she feels comfortable to do so, she might ask her rush hostesses at each sorority if they have any members who are engineering majors. Maybe the member would take that as a clue to introduce DD to said eng. major.

I hope that she sees recruitment through to the end. It is tiring and emotional and hot and sweaty, but it is worth it.
Good advice!! I was also an engineering major and now I am a professor. I know many women who have combined challenging majors with sorority membership. The older members were very supportive and helpful my first year.

Classes had started when I went through recruitment, and I had an engineering classmate who was paired up with me during 2 rounds at her chapter. I'm pretty sure I was her "rush crush," because she gave me the saddest look in class when I didn't return to her house for pref (this was back in the day when we did decline "extra" invites -- I was invited to 4 chapters for pref, but we could only go to 2). After the second round, I'd realized that the conversations tended to fall flat after the rusher asked "what's your major?" Many people are intimidated by science, and they would generally say something like, "Wow," then change the subject. It made me feel weird and nerdy. Gamma Phi Beta became my solid favorite due to what they did at the start of the 3rd round. Three sisters I hadn't met yet greeted me in the entryway, and said, "are you an engineering major?" I thought, uh oh, but one of the other sisters said, "Sarah thought she saw you in the building! So are we!" They made me feel special, and I knew I didn't have to be worried that my major was a turn-off. That was the "aha moment" for me, and I knew I'd found my home. I can't promise this will happen for your daughter, but I'd encourage her to stick it out. What she is feeling right now is natural and not unusual.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 08-12-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

D has a full schedule, but lost 2 favorites. She's feeling more rested and relaxed today. She has really been looking forward to this round. I'm hoping she can move forward without worrying about the why's of what she didn't get.

And in case you're interested to know - she was kept by the one where she didn't have a rec.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^
Where she did not obtain a rec ahead of time....
She may have one and not know until bid day

I just dont want girls to think more or less about any one group because they got invited back and they did not have a rec. They might have one they did not know about

Last edited by HQWest; 08-12-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
^^^
Where she did not obtain a rec ahead of time....
She may have one and not know until bid day
Exactly!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, you never know what recs or letters of support might be lurking in the background.

After I pledged and found out you had to have a rec to receive a bid, said, "but I didn't HAVE one!". "Oh yes you did", and then the actives named two women, one a teacher at my HS, and the other, the mom of one of my male friends, both alums of the chapter who at that time, wrote the recs for all the girls from my HS. Didn't even know they were sorority women.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I really don't think you can equate choosing a college with sorority recruitment. At the heart of it, all NPC orgs provide pretty comparable experiences.

As I said, the advice from Auburn PH is dumb (not to mention unfairly classist and whatnot), but let's keep it in perspective.
I wasn't trying to paint with that wide of a brush. I am just perplexed as to why one would put in all this effort to get to ABC U and then pump the breaks.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone for all the encouraging messages about engineering and sororities.

My daughter was asked back to 6 houses. While most girls would be disappointed to not have a full schedule, my daughter is excited to be only 6 houses away to her new home!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

In the end you can only join one aumom. And I think the initial cuts are the easiest to handle. How attached could you really get after 20 minutes? These schedules sound exhausting to me too!
Old 08-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post

Well, no. I certainly didn't have the experience that an NPC member at Auburn has, and vice versa. Not better or worse, but certainly they might feel they were in another world if they came to my campus.

But I've said many times that I don't get these people from Georgia who send their kids to Harvard and make sure to get a new, warmer wardrobe because it's kind of a given the climate will be different there, but think rush will be the same (and vice versa). I'm sure there are southerners who have ended up at Penn State with "game day dresses" and been a little surprised.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, no. I certainly didn't have the experience that an NPC member at Auburn has, and vice versa. Not better or worse, but certainly they might feel they were in another world if they came to my campus.
I meant across the NPC groups at the same campus. My point here is that the women who don't have recs likely get placed, if they maximize options and so on, and getting placed in a WRC is not really that different, in the long-run, from having a perfect recruitment.

It doesn't excuse bad advice from the PH, but I also don't think the PNM from a small town in Minnesota should lose sleep over not having a rec to all seventeen groups.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

My DD has a full schedule for round 2 but only received invitations from 6 of her top 12. We are from out of state, I was not in a sorority and we unfortunately believed what we read on the Panhellenic website about recs. She did have a few but I wish we would have sought out advice on this website and had a rec from each sorority. Although one top sorority that she had two recs from dropped her but they were in her bottom 5 so she was not upset by that.
She is going into this with an open mind. Last night she said everyone was so sweet and all of the sororities seemed very similar and like they would be great.
There were only a few she felt like the forced conversations were awkward but that's to be expected I suppose.
I'm going to be purchasing some wine for myself to make it through this week...