GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,419
1 members and 1,418 guests
Titchou

Old 08-01-2015, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

New// Legacy Question & Recruitment Question

Hi guys! I do not have any family members that were in a sorority besides my Aunt and a few cousins. Do they count towards legacies or would they just be considered a stronger recommendation than a recommendation? Err, I don't know if that makes sense.

Also, I have been reading these forums for advice, and what to bring info.. Someone posted about how we "Cannot take bags to the houses during rush". Is that true? Because I have also read tips where they tell PNMs to bring mini deodorants and oil whipes! Just want to know if small cross body purses are allowed.

Thank you
-TurtleLover95
Old 08-01-2015, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacies are considered mother, sister, grandmother. Aunt/cousin wouldn't strengthen recommendation - unless possibly from that particular chapter.

Not sure about ALL schools, but many do allow small cross body bags.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

The legacy policy differs from chapter to chapter. Some chapters consider only mothers and sisters (and steps). Some chapters consider grandmothers. Some chapters consider aunts. You will need to consult the websites of the chapters involved to determine whether or not you would be a legacy.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

The no bag ban is usually bringing into the house. Your recruitment counselors usually stay outside with your bags, which should be a small tote with the items in it. Check you school's web site for a recruitment booklet/information on that or they will tell you at orientation.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
The legacy policy differs from chapter to chapter. Some chapters consider only mothers and sisters (and steps). Some chapters consider grandmothers. Some chapters consider aunts. You will need to consult the websites of the chapters involved to determine whether or not you would be a legacy.
I know what you meant, but to a PNM, the comments above might be a little bit confusing :-)

The definition of a legacy differs from organization to organization. Legacy definition will not differ from chapter to chapter within an organization....
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMom View Post
Legacies are considered mother, sister, grandmother. Aunt/cousin wouldn't strengthen recommendation - unless possibly from that particular chapter.

Not sure about ALL schools, but many do allow small cross body bags.
There actually ARE sororities that consider nieces of members to be legacies. There is no hard and fast rule for EVERY NPC. Some don't count anything beyond daughter and sister.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you guys for all your responses! I am a little confused on some of the events and rules but I am sure I will figure it all out soon enough. Open house begins on the 16th!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter will be going through rush soon as a legacy. I have been told by other sorority sisters that family should not write recs. Is this true? I've also read on this site that chapters may think it is strange that family doesn't write a rec. What is the best thing to do?
Old 08-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, they should write recs!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

The chapter needs to know the PNM is a legacy. Very important! The relative needs to send in a rec.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

But she also needs a rec from a non family member. It is always suspect when a PNM only has a family rec or doesn't have a family rec. So she needs one of both. At least here in the south...
Old 08-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
But she also needs a rec from a non family member. It is always suspect when a PNM only has a family rec or doesn't have a family rec. So she needs one of both. At least here in the south...
True
Old 08-09-2015, 10:55 AM

I just want to state that this thread is bringing up some corkers in the "similar threads" listed below.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

It is best when a legacy has a rec from the family member--but we had a weird situation this year and this is how we addressed it: Daughter is a true legacy to one sorority through paternal grandmother, and while maternal grandmother's sorority does not recognize granddaughters as legacies any more, we were told that grands do get bumped above PNMs with no family connections at all. So--I told both grandmothers a while back that we would need recs/letters of introduction for daughter.

Paternal grandmother has had major health issues and has been increasingly erratic in her behavior. Rather than bother her with sorority stuff during this tough time, we consulted daughter's other rec writers for that sorority, and one of them noted in her letter that grandmother was ill and might be unable to submit a letter. Grandma realized two weeks ago that recruitment was drawing near, sent an email to the chapter's rec chair, and sent us the confirmation response from the house.

My father died in March after a year-long bout with cancer, and Mom/maternal grandmother has had a very tough time dealing with his illness and death. Again, we didn't want to burden her with this, so we contacted daughter's rec writers for that sorority and they both mentioned in their letters why maternal grandmother might not be available for letter of introduction. Mom, however, insisted on doing it, so I helped her draft the letter and she submitted it with daughter's packet.

We'll see how things work out, but we were assured by members of both sororities that having other rec writers who can explain the absence of legacy introductions in such cases is sufficient and appreciated.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

See, that's exactly what I meant. We need to know...otherwise we are left to our own assumptions...and that can be not a good thing...