GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,440
2 members and 2,438 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-17-2011, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Is 32 too old rush as a transfer?

I'm currently about to transfer to a 4 year school out of state. I know might be too old for most greek systems. I couldn't go college in my 20s mainly because I was working 40 hours or more, but I've been going to school full time for the last 3 years. I looked up campus life at 3/4 main schools I got into San Diego State, UCLA, U of Arizona, and Arizona State, what I discovered is that those schools have a heavy greek community. I wouldn't have consider it if that wasn't the case. But since I'm moving to a whole new area and looking to make new friends shouldn't I apply? My brother who is in a fraternity @UCLA currently said it they had a couple of older guys join, it is rare but it does happen. He could put in a good word for me. I know I sound crazy asking but I do want to get more involved in college life with my final two years. I just looking for some insight on how to approach this. Any advice would be great.

Last edited by Vallista; 04-17-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

What the hell would you have in common with a bunch of 18-22 year olds?

It sounds like you are trying to relive your youth to make up for what you missed out on by taking a non-traditional route.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

He could maybe try a service organization or go to a school that has more older non traditional students.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Assuming this is something you think you really want, then you should go for it just like any other prospective rushee would. As you already know, there are people who have done it before. There are people who are on GC who are of a nontraditional undergraduate age who are active members of their GLO.

This is really up to you. Just be prepared to be rejected if the organizations don't find anything in common with you. If you don't make it into a social fraternity, there will be other options for you depending on your school.

And kudos to you for pursuing your education.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

^ I agree. Go for it, but don't be surprised if you're passed over in favor of someone who is closer to typical age. I know we had a 40-something woman go through informal once, and personally I just found it creepy; she was old enough to be the mother of the other PNMs.

There are always other options for getting involved on campus; don't pidgeonhole yourself into thinking a social fraternity is the only way you can do that. Consider service and professional organizations -- they might be a better fit.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

ok cool, I know it will be an uphill battle and that is ok. At least I know going in. My main concern it a school like San Diego State from what I'm hearing is Commuter school. And making friends can be hard for out state students. Then again I'm a social person that has always adapted in new environments.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
What the hell would you have in common with a bunch of 18-22 year olds?

It sounds like you are trying to relive your youth to make up for what you missed out on by taking a non-traditional route.

lol I wish that was the case. I figured since most fraternities do more than just drinking like community service, that is something I can get myself involved in. As for the age gap, I go to a community college where there is high school and young adult who all think I'm in my 20s til I tell them my age. Even my professors don't think I'm 32. It is weird but has never stopped me from being social. I do get your point.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessamy View Post
He could maybe try a service organization or go to a school that has more older non traditional students.
the schools I'm considering are base off my major, since only there are only number of schools that do offer it, there are all major schools. Which sucks but 3 out of 4 then I got into. I'm just waiting to hear back from UCLA. My brother that goes to UCLA has been telling me that social life at UCLA is very clickish. It's not like Washington State or U of Washington where they have more of an open social atmosphere.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not going to happen at Arizona. Our Greek system is very traditional. There are a lot of clubs and activities you can try to get involved.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Definitely get involved in whatever school you end up at's organization for non-traditional students. You'll meet a lot of people through that who will all be in the same boat you are.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallista View Post
I'm currently about to transfer to a 4 year school out of state. I know might be too old for most greek systems. I couldn't go college in my 20s mainly because I was working 40 hours or more, but I've been going to school full time for the last 3 years. I looked up campus life at 3/4 main schools I got into San Diego State, UCLA, U of Arizona, and Arizona State, what I discovered is that those schools have a heavy greek community. I wouldn't have consider it if that wasn't the case. But since I'm moving to a whole new area and looking to make new friends shouldn't I apply? My brother who is in a fraternity @UCLA currently said it they had a couple of older guys join, it is rare but it does happen. He could put in a good word for me. I know I sound crazy asking but I do want to get more involved in college life with my final two years. I just looking for some insight on how to approach this. Any advice would be great.

Def go for it. just be prepared for the word "No" if and when it comes.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
With the disclaimer that I don't know much about the schools listed:

If you do go through fraternity rush, you may want to target groups that are newer or more in a building phase. They could be more open to a non-traditional student and the experiences that you bring to the table.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
With the disclaimer that I don't know much about the schools listed:

If you do go through fraternity rush, you may want to target groups that are newer or more in a building phase. They could be more open to a non-traditional student and the experiences that you bring to the table.
Speaking of which, didn't Phi Delta Theta just open back up at UCLA? I wish you best of luck with fraternity rush!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

It's all about the fit. The question is: can you, as a 32yo, fit in with people who are more than 10yr younger than you?