GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,299
2 members and 1,297 guests
g41965

Old 05-19-2013, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Our Alpha ain't recolonizing anytime soon.
Ditto. My friend in the AOII Alpha chapter always talks about how special it is and I'm just sitting here frustrated that we won't be getting ours back

for hope, for strength, for life
Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilyanchored View Post
Ditto. My friend in the AOII Alpha chapter always talks about how special it is and I'm just sitting here frustrated that we won't be getting ours back
Phi Mu will get to join our "no alpha chapters recolonizing" club as well.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry guys. I know it's hard when your founding chapter is at a university that no longer exists. I never thought we'd get to recolonize our Alpha either (since Barnard outlawed Greek life), and it's really only by a technicality that it got to happen. I just hope that any group that can re-establish their Alpha gets that chance.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Phi Mu will get to join our "no alpha chapters recolonizing" club as well.
Add Sigma Kappa to that list. Colby College no longer allows Greek like.

However, we could have added up to 6 single letter chapters this year, as we had six campuses open on which we had a single letter chapter.

ETA: make that 7 single letter chapters...forgot one SMH

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 05-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Sorry guys. I know it's hard when your founding chapter is at a university that no longer exists. I never thought we'd get to recolonize our Alpha either (since Barnard outlawed Greek life), and it's really only by a technicality that it got to happen. I just hope that any group that can re-establish their Alpha gets that chance.
So if Barnard doesn't have Greek life how is the chapter coming back?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Columbia has Greek life and those who attend Barnard can join through them. I think that is how it works anyway. I think AGDee's daughter joined that way.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Are those groups presenting to absorb one of the remaining local sororities?
There are actually 2 more locals at CSU seeking affiliation. http://www.csuohio.edu/studentlife/g...ororities.html

I think SK will be a good fit, there are many SK alum in greater Cleveland.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Almost more frustrating, our Alpha chapter is dormant, but at the last expansion, we didn't get it. Being a small Greek system at a small school, I think it would require a chapter closing to ever get another opportunity. And of course I wouldn't root, even privately, for that to happen. Maybe I should campaign to get a whole truckload of qualified young girls to decide to go to school there to increase need?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Almost more frustrating, our Alpha chapter is dormant, but at the last expansion, we didn't get it. Being a small Greek system at a small school, I think it would require a chapter closing to ever get another opportunity. And of course I wouldn't root, even privately, for that to happen. Maybe I should campaign to get a whole truckload of qualified young girls to decide to go to school there to increase need?

YES! I would love to have our Alpha back!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM

Kappa Sigma installed its colony at Western Oregon University. The new chapter is the first Greek organization at WOU. Congratulations to the new chapter and members.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/arti...ing-fraternity

Alpha Omicron Pi recently reinstalled their chapter at the University of Washington. Congratulations to all the new members.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A couple years ago Barnard voted to completely recognize the sororities at Columbia since many of the Barnard students are members. This allowed student activities money to go to Panhellenic as well. For the groups that have had chapters at Barnard AND Columbia, the question becomes do you recognize a reorganizing chapter as the Barnard chapter or the Columbia chapter. For us, it gave us the opportunity to open Alpha even though it is a hybrid chapter. If Barnard had never voted for recognition, this chapter would have had a new name.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I thought Lombard was gone?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I thought Lombard was gone?
Lombard is gone but our Alpha chapter transferred to Knox College.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa is presenting at Case Western, not Cleveland State, and I believe that is also true for Sigma Sigma Sigma.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Clarification: At the last expansion, we did not even submit. At the prior expansion we did, and were not given the courtesy of a call letting us know another group had been selected. Found out weeks later from the chosen group (who understandably thought we'd already been told), producing quite the awkward moment for both. We may feel that special tie to Knox, but it was pretty clearly not reciprocated at least at the time, so let's not hold out all kinds of fervent hope for a recolonized Alpha. Faint hope, yes. Boo-hoo-why-aren't-we-there, no.