GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,404
2 members and 1,402 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 11-01-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Resigning from a Job

I just was hired for another job and I start 11.17.

Currently I am in a job that has been troublesome. I have been mislead by the company as well as getting an ulcer from the amount of stress that came with this job. As well as many other issues that arrose. So today I gave my 1 manager my 2 weeks notice, I stated that my effective 11-12-2003 I will no longer be working there. 2 questions

1- do you think that was enough notice, because I need some time to get things together for the new job, and needed some days off? I still have to tell the head manager.

2- I found out I have about 2 days of sick time, if I don't use it I lose my sick time, and will not get paid for it, is it wrong of me to take a "sick" day before I leave.

The company has treated me very poorly it's a LONG story but I was just curious to see what other thought about this.

thanks
Old 11-01-2003, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
My opinion is if the company has treated you poorly they are not entitled to anything. I applaude you for being the bigger person and giving them two weeks notice. I once had a job where the company treated me like crap. They didn't give me hours and when they did it would be a ridiculously short shift maybe once every 2 weeks if I was lucky. I fianlly had enough and I quit on the spot. I went in one day and handed the manager my letter of resignation and and told him I quit effectivly immediatly. But the way I see it, it's a 2 way street, if they don't treat me fairly I don't have to treat them fairly.
I personally don't think it's wrong to take any of your sick days and I definitly think 2 weeks is enough...that's the minimum (and if I were you I wouldn't have even done that).
But it seems that your a better person that I, and you shpuld probably leave on a high note.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

You absolutely did the right thing by giving two weeks notice. Despite how poorly you were treated by the company, you can be assured that you're leaving with your integrity intact.

To answer your questions:

1- do you think that was enough notice, because I need some time to get things together for the new job, and needed some days off? I still have to tell the head manager.

Two weeks notice is sufficient, though for any employer who has to recruit to replace a position it's not enough! When I interview candidates who are currently employed and offer to start in less than two weeks, I immediately begin to question their work ethic.

If you need extra time, it's better to put off your start date as with the new company, as you are doing, for a couple of days if it won't jeopardize your employment.

2- I found out I have about 2 days of sick time, if I don't use it I lose my sick time, and will not get paid for it, is it wrong of me to take a "sick" day before I leave.

Sick time is not yours unless you are sick. Therefore, it's not yours to lose. My company has a policy that once an employee has given notice, no sick or vacation time can be taken. Check with your HR department to see if there is a similar policy for your company.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 11-01-2003, 10:43 AM

I think that's plenty of notice. Companies don't give you any notice when they fire you or lay you off, right? Two weeks' notice is standard professional courtesy. You've given a little less than that, but I think that's fine.

Taking your sick time, I feel, would be unethical (unless you are actually sick).

Remember that you may need your current employer for a reference someday, and even if not, you never know who's in your managers' network.

BTW, I suggest you use any benefits you are still entitled to from your old job. If you have health insurance, now's a good time to go to the doctor, dentist, eye doctor, etc. - especially if you won't have insurance at your new job right away. If you have tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, wellness benefits, etc. - use them.

Good luck with the new job!
Old 11-01-2003, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Thank you all so much for the answers.

I am not a 100% what I am going to do at this point. Today my head manager call into and told me that she had heard some bad news that I was leaving. I agreed and stated that this new job was more in my field. She wished me luck, I offered that I still wanted to meet with her, she just told me to put my resignation in her mailbox, because she's just too busy to meet with me.

I AM FUMING i know that this job does not think favorably of me nor do they truely like me, but honestly HOW RUDE come on upper management i gave you 2 weeks you could at least give me 5 minutes to meet face to face. I mean it's not my fault that she's running a failing department when 6 of us are leaving in November, 2 left in October and September, and out of the 6 person training class I had there is 1 left.

UGH

I am def taking some "sick" days this week.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Re: Resigning from a Job

Whether 2 weeks is sufficient depends on the company and the job. Your employee handbook or policy manual should tell you what is expected (and the job market suck as it is right now, screwing up a potential reference is not a good idea). My current position requires 90 days. My previous position, 30 days. If you give less than the required notice, it may affect whether or not you are paid for accumulated vacation time and whether they'll give you a good reference. Voluntarily leaving a position without notice is potentially more professionally damaging than a layoff (and yes, I've been through that too.. came back from a vacation to find out that my job had been eliminated while I was gone)

Sick time is insurance. It is not like vacation, that you are entitled to use. It would be unethical to take it after you've put in notice unless you really are sick. Even then, you may not be paid for it. Every company I've worked for specifically stated that no benefit time (vacation/personal/ sick/ holiday) could be used after you'd put in notice. Again, check your policy manual or you could be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Is your manager being callous for the way your resignation is being handled? Perhaps but you don't need to be equally callous. IF you are part of a mass exodus (and it sounds like you are), you don't know what garbage your manager is being handed. She is the middle man and is not the best one to do an exit interview with anyway. Your HR department is better qualified to do an exit interview that will be handled professionally.

The other caution I would give you (or others in similar positions), is to figure out and practice with friends how you will handle future interviews when the subject of why you left this job comes up (and it will). Come across too bitter or angry and second interviews may be few. No one wants, or needs to hear dirty laundry. To simply say "it wasn't a good fit" and focus on what you could do for that other company would be better than saying it gave you an ulcer from too much stress.

Good luck... I hope your next job is a more positive experience
Old 11-14-2003, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hey kiddo! Long time, no talk to!

Two weeks notice is standard. Anyway, if they treated you that poorly, then you shouldn't allow yourself to feel bad even if you were to have given them less notice. You deserve better anyway. Good luck with your new job!