GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,585
0 members and 1,585 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Pi Phi: Canadian sorority

All I knew about Gonzaga University was that it's in Washington and that Bing Crosby was an alumnus. I looked at the website to learn more and found out that though fraternities are not official clubs, there are now two fraternities (Theta Chi and Kappa Sigma) and a colony of Alpha Pi Phi "international sorority." I looked up Alpha Pi Phi -- http://www.alphapiphi.com/ -- and learned it was founded in 2009.

I couldn't find any references to it on GreekChat -- anyone else aware of it? Any members here?

P.S. The APP site says "one of the fastest-growing Canadian sororities" -- are there others?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, there was a sister from that sorority who used to post on Greekchat when Alpha Pi Phi was founded. They were started from some former sisters of a Canadian chapter of Alpha Omicron Pi. Their nickname is "Apple Pie." There are other Canadian local sororities that have popped up over the last 10 years that have expanded to another school or two, but only in Canada.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

When the APP sister posted here, she referred to herself and the sorority as Apple Pie.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=23076&page=4
Old 03-27-2017, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Both their American chapters are at schools that categorically do not recognize Greek life and to some extent deny its existence on campus. Brandeis also has Sigma Delta Tau and a Delta Phi Epsilon chapter that is 20 years old, but Gonzaga has no other sororities. Given that at neither of these schools would the sororities fall under the university's insurance I wonder what they do for that.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

All the NPC groups have their own coverage,not university coverage. I wonder if this group - and those like it - have insurance at all. And since they aren't recognized at the US campuses, they don't have to prove to the U that they have it. Have no idea what Canadian campuses might require.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
All the NPC groups have their own coverage,not university coverage. I wonder if this group - and those like it - have insurance at all. And since they aren't recognized at the US campuses, they don't have to prove to the U that they have it. Have no idea what Canadian campuses might require.
We typically aren't recognised by our institution, we simply fall under the student union like any other student group. While obviously we have our own insurance, the student union doesn't care!

This is an interesting group, for sure....
Old 03-29-2017, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInCanada11 View Post
We typically aren't recognised by our institution, we simply fall under the student union like any other student group. While obviously we have our own insurance, the student union doesn't care!

This is an interesting group, for sure....
Canada is different when it comes to how groups are recognized by the student union rather than the U like in the US. In the US, Alpha Gamma Delta is insured thru the same company that insures the majority of NPC groups.