GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,707
1 members and 1,706 guests
indygphib

Old 04-05-2017, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello, displeased to begin with this........

Hello,
I am a new member of a fraternity, a freshman, and have realized I want to continue my studies elsewhere. I entered the fraternity very optimistic, I asked members about where the chapter stood in grades and involvement on campus. I was lead on to believe were the best in grades on campus and seemed involved because our president that semester had been the only member heavily involved on campus. All that being said besides a select few good friends I made, everyone in the chapter is very standoff-ish and is not involved only ever wanting to drink and never attend events involving the entire greek community. Not to mention an entire older class did not make our grade requirements this semester. Overall the entire environment of the chapter is very un-healthy and when I transfer I want a fresh start. It has also come to light to me that the my fraternity is on my new campus and has a similar if not the exact same reputation. Following a release from my current fraternity and possibly explaining my situation to a new fraternity I may rush at my new school would I be considered to be given a bid?
Thank you,
I would like to apologize in advance because I know this is a very sour topic.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Generally speaking, if you were initiated, you are stuck in the fraternity you initiated in. If not, you can pledge elsewhere.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-06-2017, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezelou View Post
Hello,
I am a new member of a fraternity, a freshman, and have realized I want to continue my studies elsewhere. I entered the fraternity very optimistic, I asked members about where the chapter stood in grades and involvement on campus. I was lead on to believe were the best in grades on campus and seemed involved because our president that semester had been the only member heavily involved on campus. All that being said besides a select few good friends I made, everyone in the chapter is very standoff-ish and is not involved only ever wanting to drink and never attend events involving the entire greek community. Not to mention an entire older class did not make our grade requirements this semester. Overall the entire environment of the chapter is very un-healthy and when I transfer I want a fresh start. It has also come to light to me that the my fraternity is on my new campus and has a similar if not the exact same reputation. Following a release from my current fraternity and possibly explaining my situation to a new fraternity I may rush at my new school would I be considered to be given a bid?
Thank you,
I would like to apologize in advance because I know this is a very sour topic.
So you are planning to resign your membership from your fraternity? Since you really won't be able to pledge another fraternity, can you not affiliating with the chapter at your new school, but retain your membership as an alum?
Old 04-06-2017, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Whatever you do, don't explain the situation with your former chapter. It may not come across the way you intended, sounding more complaining than deceived. You don't have to affiliate with the chapter at your new school. You could get involved in non-Greek orgs that would enhance your major, resume', and life.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

If I go to a new school after being released who would stop me from joining a new fraternity? In every thread and forum I've been too no one has been specific as too what happens if you go to a new school after being in a former fraternity and attempting to join a new one.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Most organizations do not allow dual membership, or joining a different fraternity after you've resigned from a former one. You would be breaking the rule/policy, and there are lots of ways a new fraternity might find out. Social media posts, someone from your current chapter alerts the chapter at your new school and tells them you've transferred, someone knows someone who knew you were in a fraternity at your current school, every fraternity has membership databases and the new fraternity checks with your current fraternity after hearing a rumor or being told you were a member of another group, etc., etc. So, you might get away with it, or it could come back to bite you if at any point it's determined you were already initiated into another group. This could happen down the road when someone from your current group sees social media pictures of you in your new letters. Then, your new fraternity might terminate your membership because you were dishonest and joined knowing that you were already initiated into another fraternity.

I can sympathize with your situation, because it sounds like you've got some legitimate reasons to have buyer's remorse, but the rules are designed to prevent exactly what you're trying to do.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Whatever you do, don't explain the situation with your former chapter. It may not come across the way you intended, sounding more complaining than deceived. You don't have to affiliate with the chapter at your new school. You could get involved in non-Greek orgs that would enhance your major, resume', and life.
This is good advice. I'd add: if you wear anything with your fraternity's letters at your new school or if your car still has letters/crest, you will definitely be approached by members of your fraternity at that campus. So be prepared. I would, however, suggest that you try not to prejudge them. You never know * * * you may like them and they may make it a little easier to be at a new campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezelou View Post
All that being said besides a select few good friends I made, everyone in the chapter is very standoff-ish and is not involved only ever wanting to drink and never attend events involving the entire greek community. Not to mention an entire older class did not make our grade requirements this semester.
Unfortunately, you describe many fraternity chapters at many universities.

Last edited by PhilTau; 04-06-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I definitely do not want to hide what I was apart of. I found another thread on here where they were talking about how NIC allows former members to join new fraternities, as long as the new fraternity does not have specific rules barring such action. i also read that generally speaking most fraternities that allow re-instatement of former member back into there fraternities allow former members of other fraternities.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Well then, there you go! Good luck.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for the insight, much appreciated!