GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,514
1 members and 2,513 guests
PrettyBoy
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by lovepwrgrl; 12-06-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2007, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

They won't ask you about parties or drinking during rush. And I can almost guarantee you there will be sisters in your sorority that don't drink. So I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes in life, your character is shaped by what you don't do. Jwsteele is right, I wouldn't worry about it either...just be you and hold on to those values and standards that sets you apart from the common folk. Conformity can be boring and frankly unnecessary at times. You just be you and everything will be fine.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that I have never drank but I am not really a party person myself so...its all good. Stay true to yourself and everything else will work itself out.

***I had to edit this post because this child has shown herself to be a complete idiot! She is just looking for trouble and feels the need utilize her time being an a$$ instead. She wants to be a part of Phi Mu----good luck because she will surely need it!***

Last edited by Velocity_14; 12-06-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:53 AM

Every sorority has different types of girls in it. There are some who like to party alot, some who party occasionally, and others who don't really get into that at all.

It's possible to be in a sorority, not really party, and have an enjoyable experience. I was one of those girls who partied occasionally, and only really drank once I was over 21. I still had alot of fun.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I can honestly say that I've had a sister who didn't drink at parties. I've also had sisters who have remained virgins until they were married I know sometimes girls worry about that too(just in case this was an issue you were afraid to bring up)... we had a girl rush the other semester and that was a big issue for her... her blood sister belonged to another organization but she didnt want to belong to that one because that wasnt who she was. If you find the right group of girls they will accept you for who you are. If you are ever put in a position where you feel like you have to compromise your morals or values to be accepted runaway thats not the place for you... your sisters will love you for who you are ... or in this case who you are not. You should go somewhere where you don't have to be anything but yourself.

Depending on your situation you might even be surprised to find that some fraternity boys will respect you on a higher level as well
Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Don't worry about either. You will be encouraged to attend mixers and I encourage you to go. No one should force alcohol on you either. At least that was my experience.

I didn't drink or party much either, but always attended the TGs (Themed Gatherings) with the Fraternities. It was a great way to meet people, and I left it at that.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm in a sorority and I'm not in to partying all the time and I don't drink, and you know what I still have a good time with my sisters. Most sororities don't care if you don't drink, so I wouldn't worry about it at all!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
One of my favorite quotes from a non-Greek friend:

"You were President of your sorority and you don't drink beer???"
Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM

Most people once they get to college adopt the very sensible position of "You don't drink? Cool. More for me."

As long as you don't come off as judgemental towards people who do drink and party, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Most people once they get to college adopt the very sensible position of "You don't drink? Cool. More for me."

As long as you don't come off as judgemental towards people who do drink and party, there shouldn't be a problem.
I didn't drink until I was 21, and since my birthday is in December (the young December), we're talking end of first semester senior year. I had been in my chapter for 6 whole semesters without drinking, and everyone was totally cool with it. I went to most socials and had a good time without alcohol.

There was another a girl in my chapter who did have a judgemental stance towards people who drink and this caused some friction. Weirdly, at dated party, she got really drunk, threw up, and was livid that she had to go to Standards because "she wasn't like that." She withdrew from the chapter.

As long as you're open to being social, ie. going to mixers, you'll have a great social experience with sorority membership with or without alcohol.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

It's possible to be in a sorority, not really party, and have an enjoyable experience. I was one of those girls who partied occasionally, and only really drank once I was over 21. I still had alot of fun.

I was the EXACT same. I just enjoyed going to parties to hang out with my sisters, and meet new people. Although I did eventually drink (but not till after I was 21) I had no need to go drinking every other (or EVERY night of the week)

I mean a sorority is a social experience, so you don't want to shut yourself away, however not shutting yourself away doesn't mean you have to puke your guts out after every party, either.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:02 PM

I do not party or drink either and it really hasnt been an issue for me, it really depends on what organization you join.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
I don't go to parties or drink, so it's really not that bad.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Me thinks it's a troll crawling around. Has another thread going about wanting to join Phi Mu and looking for diversity
Old 12-05-2007, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Troll or truly naive.
Closed Thread