GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,177
0 members and 1,177 guests
No Members online

Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 PM
GC Member

I counted anywhere from 38-40 in DDD's Tumblr pic, but I couldn't be sure.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
DPhiE: 43? (Counted heads. Not totally sure.)
ETA: AOPi: 35? (Counted heads in a Facebook pic. Looks like several people were cut off so I'm not sure if this is the full class.)

Last edited by Sister Havana; 01-22-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
DPhiE: 43? (Counted heads. Not totally sure.)
ETA: AOPi: 35? (Counted heads in a Facebook pic. Looks like several people were cut off so I'm not sure if this is the full class.)
That would be about 20 fewer than AOII has ever taken at IU so I don't think this number is accurate.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
That would be about 20 fewer than AOII has ever taken at IU so I don't think this number is accurate.
That number is not correct. I haven't been given authorization to release the number but we made quota plus.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm happy to report that my daughter received a bid from SDT and is thrilled out of her mind!

FWIW I've been following the blog about IU on the NPC site. Someone there claims that next year IU will go to total quota. (Don't know where she got that information.) And a former PHC member reported that *all* chapters increased their quotas this year - which seems to have happened - and that *all* chapters are allowing seniors to live out. So maybe, just maybe, change is coming to IU.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I would believe none of the above. It appears based on the comparison of numbers that some took same, a few actually took less, and the majority took a few to around 10% more. That is in no way allowing all seniors to live out. When it comes to IU, babysteps should be considered major victories. And rumors at IU, well, I just wouldn't trust em.

Congratulations to your daughter finding her sorority home!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:21 PM

I think a lot of chapters have allowed live outs for a while. There's a difference between allowing and compelling someone to do so.

Congrats to your daughter!!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think a lot of chapters have allowed live outs for a while. There's a difference between allowing and compelling someone to do so.

Congrats to your daughter!!
A friend's daughter is in a chapter at IU and they opened up their live out policy for the first time ever this year. Only 7 seniors to be wanted to live out, so that didn't help their quota much. One chapters allows live outs on a case by case basis: student teaching, clinicals, internships, study abroad, etc.

At at IU any change in monumental.

Dubai sis is correct, there are a handful of chapters who did not take more women than last year and there were a couple of chapters who took less than 40. But many chapters did take 50+ which is wonderful! Keep up the good work ladies.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM

While I do fervently hope that IU goes to Panhellenic Quota/Total, I wish that NPC would take down the blog. So many of the posts are about situations that are NOT unique to IU, but the parents think they are. It is awful that some PNMs attend 3 pref parties and end up bidless. That absolutely needs to be rectified and I feel terrible for those young women. However, so many posts are about daughters wailing that they didn't like their choices after a certain round and how cruel that is. Parents field those crying phone calls at EVERY recruitment, and that has little, if anything to do with bed rush. In every recruitment many, many young women (most) have to experience the sting of rejection and choose to accept their remaining choices or not. That is not particular to the "cruel" and "inhumane" system at IU. And the mother initiating a campaign to "demand" that the dean require every chapter to take 10 additional members is ridiculous. While 10 members wouldn't hurt any chapter, the dean is not part of MS. It shows parents not understanding the ins and outs of Greek Life. I don't think that forum is accomplishing anything with regard to change at IU - it is just prolonging the healing process for the parents and young women involved.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
While I do fervently hope that IU goes to Panhellenic Quota/Total, I wish that NPC would take down the blog. So many of the posts are about situations that are NOT unique to IU, but the parents think they are.
I agree that the page is pretty awful. It shows that so few of those parents understand the changes that they are demanding. They really have no clue what is required of their daughters to get a bid IF IU does go to total/ quota; ie, she can still be cut entirely before pref, must list ALL pref houses that she attends on the MRABA in order to be assured a bid, signing that MRABA binds her to a bid for the year, etc.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 PM

There was a poster or two that posted that she transferred to a different Big 10 school that uses quota/total, rushed as a sophomore, and got a bid to the house that was her favorite since open house. Well, that is not particularly common, and it is misleading those upset parents to believe that using Q/T means their daughters would have gotten a SPECIFiC bid (meaning, to a favorite chapter), not just A bid. As in, Even as a sophomore I was able to get a bid to my top chapter at a Q/T campus!

There is some good information in the blog, but it is overshadowed by the melodrama, incorrect information, and ugliness.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ that blog has also been heavily edited in the past few days. Some of the parents, one in particular was absolutely vile in relating the comments her PNM daughter made about an unhoused chapter that her "DD" didn't want, making fun of appearances, a particular disability that evidently clearly identified not only the glo, but the active, and several other parents (evidently alums, some from IU) rightly called her out and tried to explain that if you drop out, don't list everything, treat the actives with disdain, have attitudes, etc, things might not turn out well, and all of that has been edited out with some platitudes and calls for petitions and letters to the dean left. It is not helpful, and spreads a lot of mis perceptions, as several of you have pointed out.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:46 PM

You know how we talk about Godwin-ing a thread? We need to think of a similar term for IU threads when someone wonders why the currently unhoused groups don't take 300 person pledge classes.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Oh good Lord some of those comments. "You're being rejected by 1,000 women!"

On a good note - it seems like all three of the unhoused sororities are really thriving! I am very happy to see that. For IU especially, it's huge. It really speaks volumes about both the initial colonization teams and the women who are part of these chapters.

Last edited by Sister Havana; 01-24-2015 at 03:24 AM.