GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 1,718
1 members and 1,717 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I am tired and cranky so I am going out on a limb that may very well break beneath me. I am in complete agreement with AZTheta. I also want to address a few other posts.

Quote:
I don't know which groups these are (for all I know it could be my own) but my first guess would be that the UT alumnae are in some way more powerful that the national organization. If they weren't the national organization would have stopped it by now.
The local alumnae are VERY strong, their pockets are VERY deep and they would rather die over this tradition than
give it up. UT Panhellenic even passed a rule that basically said a PNMs feet must be on the floor at all times to keep this from happening. Here is the news flash. the chapter does not care, they pay the fine and they move on With that said, they also don't care that they are highly disliked in the UT Greek Community. People make fun of them. People mock them. (Think girls jumping up and down on Halloween because they are going as ABCs) IMO it is the most embarrassing part of UT recruitment. This chapter passes up so many quality girls over this agenda. Their membership selection is almost incestuous from the outside looking in. If Texas Monthly would garner the balls to write another article on UT recruitment the painted picture would look much different. This chapter would go down as entitled women, nice cars, Amex black in their Birkins, below average on the intelligence scale, who are doing their best to get their MRS degrees while keeping daddy wrapped around their Yurman embellished fingers. <rant over>

Last edited by pinapple; 08-24-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

And yet the shallow end of the pool is vast enough that they can maintain their numbers year over year. I'd love to see their RFM numbers and see what their cut percentages are.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And yet the shallow end of the pool is vast enough that they can maintain their numbers year over year. I'd love to see their RFM numbers and see what their cut percentages are.
Why? It really isn't anyone's business but theirs, just as your chapter's isn't anyone's business. We already had this discussion about release numbers and who knows, and why it isn't discussed.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were being mean with that "shallow end" comment.

I'm sticking to my point: It's about being gracious, and having good manners. Practicing what we preach to the PNMs. That's all. We ALL need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. And not cannibalize one another in the process.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-24-2014, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinapple View Post
The local alumnae are VERY strong, their pockets are VERY deep and they would rather die over this tradition than
give it up. UT Panhellenic even passed a rule that basically said a PNMs feet must be on the floor at all times to keep this from happening. Here is the news flash. the chapter does not care, they pay the fine and they move on With that said, they also don't care that they are highly disliked in the UT Greek Community. People make fun of them. People mock them. (Think girls jumping up and down on Halloween because they are going as ABCs) IMO it is the most embarrassing part of UT recruitment. This chapter passes up so many quality girls over this agenda. Their membership selection is almost incestuous from the outside looking in. If Texas Monthly would garner the balls to write another article on UT recruitment the painted picture would look much different. This chapter would go down as entitled women, nice cars, Amex black in their Birkins, below average on the intelligence scale, who are doing their best to get their MRS degrees while keeping daddy wrapped around their Yurman embellished fingers. <rant over>
If this is true (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), then they are digging their own grave. The population of the US is changing and will continue to change. This may have worked for them for the past 50 or more years but it won't work for the next 50. They will eventually become a niche group by not being inclusive. In some ways, from what you and others have said, they already are a niche group. I doubt they are the strongest recruiting chapter at UT and they probably don't care. I do agree with AZTheta though--manners never go out of style.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I'm sticking to my point: It's about being gracious, and having good manners. Practicing what we preach to the PNMs. That's all. We ALL need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. And not cannibalize one another in the process.
I don't know what's fact and what's fiction. To be like "hey, we're gonna have a dance party rather than get to know the PNM's because we already have our list" doesn't seem egregious to me, if all PNM's are treated the same and don't know who is "in" or who is "out" while visiting the party.

It's the stuff about glitter and piggyback rides that sounds bad...obvious signs that some PNM's are wanted and others aren't is rude.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

ok, I'm coming out of lurking. I joined recently because my son is a junior in high school, and wants to go out of state. I know very little about the rush process for men at the two schools we/he are considering.

Also, selfishly, my daughter's favorite camp counselor is a PNM right now, and I was hoping for a glance at her story. She's been wonderfully kind to my daughter.

My daughter,my baby girl. She is still in elementary school. She is fantastic and 100% different than her mom. She is athletic, not girly. She plays sports and I was in chorus.

Dance Party is obnoxious, my own house. I worry about my tomboy daughter. But then I tell ,myself - maybe it's not for her. Maybe she even goes to a non-greek school. I want what's best for her, even if it's not my house.

All that being said - how dare you - "pineapple". Spreading a vicious stereotype about your own fellow alumna? How about Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison? How about the alum on the 14th Court of Appeals? How about me - second career after staying home with my kids and being the wife/mom and needing more? I am now the Director of Development at non-profit - and breaking records. I know I'm not of "below" average intelligence. I own no David Yurman jewrlry.

In fact, having a junior in high school and beginning the college process, I can assure you - NONE OF THE freshman are of below average intelligence. Look it up.

Shame on you - shame.

These girls are in college, hopefully will grow. You - are presumable an adult. You are no -Texas Ex.

As an after point - I don't have an amex black card or a birken bag.
I drive an older Suburban, my dear husband was in a great fraternity at UT, but that's not why I married him.

He's a lawyer, and we do well. Not over the top by any means.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I don't know what's fact and what's fiction. To be like "hey, we're gonna have a dance party rather than get to know the PNM's because we already have our list" doesn't seem egregious to me, if all PNM's are treated the same and don't know who is "in" or who is "out" while visiting the party.

It's the stuff about glitter and piggyback rides that sounds bad...obvious signs that some PNM's are wanted and others aren't is rude.
I think you missed part of 33's post. All of the PNMs are NOT treated equally during a party, and that is the egregious part.

Quote:
They did this because they allegedly already knew who they wanted and took them in another room and didn't want to bother talking to girls they weren't interested in.
The girls that have already been "chosen" are taken into another room to be rushed. The girls in the "dance party" room are the ones that they are not interested in even getting to know. Plenty of PNMs know about this. Can you imagine the pain of being in the dance party room?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

You missed the word "allegedly" in what you quoted. Then proceeded to present hearsay as fact.

This is what I mean by cannibalizing one another.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-24-2014, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All that being said - how dare you - "pineapple". Spreading a vicious stereotype about your own fellow alumna? How about Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison? How about the alum on the 14th Court of Appeals? How about me - second career after staying home with my kids and being the wife/mom and needing more? I am now the Director of Development at non-profit - and breaking records. I know I'm not of "below" average intelligence. I own no David Yurman jewelry.
I was not speaking about you. I was speaking about the current membership in the house. Period. And you don't know me, you don't anything about me. The fact remains that YOUR house is very disliked on this campus. They break the rules and laugh in Panhellenic's face about it. They are beyond rude to the PNMs who have devoted their time to a process that should be inclusive. You might not like what I have to say, but have you considered volunteering your time and getting involved and making the change you would like to see in YOUR house? And maybe below average intelligence was not the right term. For that I apologize. It would have been better to state the fact that "continually ranks in the lower half of the UT Panhellenic Sorority GPAs". That is nothing but fact. But I agree you can't equate GPA with intelligence but it is clear the value toward excellence in grade achievement is not there.

And for reference my screen name is not Pineapple. It is Pinapple. It is a combination of the word Pin (as in a sorority pin) and apple. A pineapple is a fruit.

Last edited by pinapple; 08-24-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are sincere in your apology, I accept. I just will always be impressed by any high school student who currently get accepted into our alma mater. To imply that these kids are anything other than achievers is disingenuous

As for the rest of it, every house has it's issues. I already expressed that I'm nervous my own daughter would be cut - I think that's admitting enough. I had a wonderful experience, that lead me to my husband. I would not change a thing.

All I'm saying is getting into the University of Texas, in 2014, is such an amazing accomplishment. We all bleed burnt orange. I would hope - not only as a Texas Ex. but as a Greek - you could be a bit more kind to these 18/19 year olds. Name calling is just not necessary,
Old 08-24-2014, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

ok. sorry about the name. I was trying to get 2 kids in bed - and quiz an 11th grader on a quiz. I apologize, Plus, I'm not a very competent computer user.

I probably should have waited to reply.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't beat up on Pinapple for quoting known facts.
I don't condone what my sorority does there. I just haven't been able to stop it ...
YET.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Don't beat up on Pinapple for quoting known facts.
I don't condone what my sorority does there. I just haven't been able to stop it ...
YET.
Thanks ChioLu I know what you are talking about and did not hear a word about it this year, does not mean it did not happen.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I think you missed part of 33's post. All of the PNMs are NOT treated equally during a party, and that is the egregious part.

The girls that have already been "chosen" are taken into another room to be rushed. The girls in the "dance party" room are the ones that they are not interested in even getting to know. Plenty of PNMs know about this. Can you imagine the pain of being in the dance party room?
Mea culpa. That is indeed egregiously rude.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Bids are handed out in T-5 hours.....