GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,197
1 members and 1,196 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADSigMel
Sticky situation...

I'm the National President of my sorority, and one of my pledge sisters (who is in grad school and still hangs out with the active sisters back at our chapter) called me the other day. Apparently, one of our members from a few pledge classes ago, who disaffiliated last month, is now exhibiting some interest in joining another sorority on campus (not NPC or NPHC). My pledge sister who called me about it knows this because she happened to see the ex-sister in question (along with another disaffiliated sister) signing this other sorority's sign-up sheet at the school's organization fair.

I am not familiar with the other sorority or its procedures, but I assume that someone who has already been initiated into another sorority would not be eligible to join. My question is, should I (or the President of the college chapter of my sorority) contact the other sorority to advise them that these two women have already been initiated into another sorority? If so, should they contact the chapter or should they contact nationals of the other sorority? Or should we do nothing at all and just mind our own business? Personally, if we had a girl coming through rush who had been (unbeknownst to us) initiated into another sorority, I would want someone from that other sorority to let us know before we offered her a bid, since we don't accept members who have been initiated into other sororities.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

If the other sorority is not NPC, then I doubt if they have such stipulations about the women to which they give bids. If they really like her, they will most likely still offer her a bid. However, I would definitely contact the sorority's president, so they are aware of the situation.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:15 PM

MYOB.

If this is something that's against their policies, the onus is on THEM to find out the information.

Sure it's shady and sleazy - especially if the sorority they're joining is a sorority that runs like yours. It's particularly shady & sleazy to do it on the same campus. But signing a sign-up sheet isn't joining. Or they might not care if their members have been/are in other sororities. Many service sororities permit double membership.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ Now that's what I call a sticky situation!

Seriously, not your problem. Don't worry about it. I think as a national president you would have more serious issues to consider. Let the chapter handle it. If it is a local sorority she is rushing, she isn't held to any double-pledging issues unless that local has such a stipulation.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADSigMel
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I was just wondering, because I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, social GLOs do prohibit double membership, like mine does.

I would really rather have the chapter not get involved with other groups' affairs, as it could easily just look like we had it in for our ex-members (which we don't in the slightest). But then, I don't want it to later look like we were *hiding* from them the fact that some of their new members were our old members.

Is the general consensus to mind our own business?
Old 09-03-2006, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say, yes, but if you want to, send a notice around to the campuses where you have chapters-- to both your chapters and the Greek Advisers/Campus Panhellenic with a reminder of your membership policies regarding "repledging" once you have initiated and dropped. Encourage enforcement of this policy. The local members can then take action.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with MYOB in this case too.

The local should have access to college records where they can verify status on potential pledges. If they do not, then it is up to them to find another way to make sure any rules they have about a second affiliation are not violated.

Your intentions are pure, but nothing you do in this situation is going to benefit you or your sorority. And, if you do intervene and this person (or the local chapter) takes offense- then you could have angry people to deal with, and who knows where that could go? Who knows what rumors this person might spread about your GLO that she saw fit to leave.

There is no way to know the motives of someone I have never met, but on the face of it- I find it rather unusual that someone would deactivate from one GLO and then try to join another. There could be very good reasons, and it could be a perfectly acceptable scenario for the local GLO- but all you know is that you are looking from the outside at a very unusual circumstance, and at a situation where you have nothing to gain for yourself or your chapter- but potentially something to lose.

Hope this helps. And FWIW I think it is to your credit that you want to do the right thing by that other organization. Your motives strike me as pure. But in the end, the local needs to do their own research if there is a potential issue.