GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,833
1 members and 1,832 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-07-2010, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Informal Recruitment.....

So I just went to an informal event at a house at my school and I LOVED it. The only problem is there were literally 30 other girls there! I feel like they probably only have a few spots open and there are so many girls they can pick. Would it be inappropriate to email the informal recruitment chair and just be like, "Thanks for inviting me to your event the other day, I really loved your house." Like I want to stand out in any way possible! Also, if there is a house I'm interested in, would it be inappropriate to email them and just ask if they have any room in their house?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
So I just went to an informal event at a house at my school and I LOVED it. The only problem is there were literally 30 other girls there! I feel like they probably only have a few spots open and there are so many girls they can pick. Would it be inappropriate to email the informal recruitment chair and just be like, "Thanks for inviting me to your event the other day, I really loved your house." Like I want to stand out in any way possible! Also, if there is a house I'm interested in, would it be inappropriate to email them and just ask if they have any room in their house?
I think an email or something saying "Thanks for inviting me" wouldn't be bad.

However, I wouldn't email a chapter and ASK if they have spots open. If a chapter has spots that they want to fill, they'll likely hold informal. Whether it will be advertised or invite-only is up to them.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

totally agree with ksuviolet. "thanks for inviting me to your event the other day. i really enjoyed meeting everyone and had a great time.", would be appropriate.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay well here's what I said...

Hi xxxx,

I just wanted to thank you for inviting me to your informal event last night. I had a great time and I loved meeting everyone in your house!

Thanks a lot,

xxxxx

I really hope that was okay and didn't make me look too eager or anything lol
Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:

Hi xxxx,

I just wanted to thank you for inviting me to your informal event last night. I had a great time and I loved meeting everyone in your house!

Thanks a lot,

xxxxx

I sent every chapter a hand written thank you card when I was invited to their house for a meal (for the chapter I stayed overnight in during a campus visit, I sent them a floral arrangement of their flowers) because a) that's how I was raised b) hand written cards are memorable c) the whole chapter may know about it and that can't hurt to have something positive to remember you by. I thanked them for their hospitality, commented on something (the food item was delicious, etc.) and said I was looking forward to seeing them on campus in the future.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Hi xxxx,

Thanks a lot,

xxxxx

that sounds fine. good luck!!

and vandalsquirrel, lovely manners. any southern mama would be proud of you!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I sent every chapter a hand written thank you card when I was invited to their house for a meal (for the chapter I stayed overnight in during a campus visit, I sent them a floral arrangement of their flowers) because a) that's how I was raised b) hand written cards are memorable c) the whole chapter may know about it and that can't hurt to have something positive to remember you by. I thanked them for their hospitality, commented on something (the food item was delicious, etc.) and said I was looking forward to seeing them on campus in the future.
^ This is beautiful. I am very similar. After sending my resume's out to alumnae I know, I sent hand written thank you cards to them. And with in a couple of weeks I had recieved invitations to dinners, lunches, football games(to watch their sons), and teas, from 9 of the 15 women i sent my resume to. Handwritten Thank You notes always see genuine.

Last edited by txchrissy; 01-09-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: alumnae
Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice!! They invited me back for coffee next week...that note must have worked. I'm very excited.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

So I just had coffee with this house today and...I feel like I might not get asked back. I tried to be outgoing and smile a lot but there were two other girls informaling along with three girls in the house, and it was hard to say as much as I would have liked. I have no idea how many spots this house has open, but I know they are asking different groups of girls to other informal things, like my friend is going to dinner at their house tomorrow night. Does anyone know how houses pick girls during informal? Like is it always the most outgoing girls? And would it be too much to send the informal chair another note that is like, "I loved getting coffee with you all, you guys are so sweet."
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Does anyone know how houses pick girls during informal? Like is it always the most outgoing girls?
No one here will be able to tell you how any of the chapters determine who gets asked back. Just be yourself!

@~/~~~~
Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

But would sending another note be too much?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But would sending another note be too much?
I don't think there is anything wrong with Thank you notes. I think expressing your interest is fine. Just make sure you come across as interested but not desperate.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 AM

I would drop a quick email, not a handwritten note.

And every chapter (not to mention every sister) is looking for different things. It's possible the sorority members were wishing the other girls at coffee today would STFU and let you get a word in edgewise.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright well I sent this chapter a quick email the night after the informal coffee event, they still haven't contacted me at all or anything..I know they email you whether or not they ask you back.. is there anything else I can do to help my chances? It's been like 4 days...uggh
Old 01-16-2010, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Alright well I sent this chapter a quick email the night after the informal coffee event, they still haven't contacted me at all or anything..I know they email you whether or not they ask you back.. is there anything else I can do to help my chances? It's been like 4 days...uggh
NO. Thank you notes are polite. Anything beyond that teeters on creepy/desperate.

Sorry, you just gotta wait it out.