GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,169
2 members and 2,167 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 03-02-2016, 07:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I also note that the majority of schools where recs are a must are located in the South. Every rec I've ever written has been for a PNM going to a southern school. Just pondering if there's any significance there.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I also note that the majority of schools where recs are a must are located in the South. Every rec I've ever written has been for a PNM going to a southern school. Just pondering if there's any significance there.
I'm not an expert on how competitive rush is everywhere, but with SEC schools, it's VERY competitive with sometimes almost a 1,000 girls going through and my guess is that you have to make yourself stand out in a good way. I didn't go to an SEC uni, but know many who did and went through rush. Holy cow. I don't know how they survived. lol
Old 03-02-2016, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
To be clear, recs are not the only thing that make NPC groups structurally racist, it's just the most obvious and easiest to talk about.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Agreed
Old 03-03-2016, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if the schools that have formal recruitment for men also suggest/require recs?
Old 03-03-2016, 04:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
Does anyone know if the schools that have formal recruitment for men also suggest/require recs?

I can't imagine that they would (in the traditional NPC sense) only because there are so few schools participating in formal that it would seem crazy to require recs.

But I could be wrong.....?

@~/~~~~
Old 03-03-2016, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

IFC has formal recruitment in January at my daughter's school (W&L). It used to be the same week as sorority recruitment, but this year it was a week later. I haven't heard of anyone getting recs, but fraternities have the fall to figure out who's on their radar...to the point where formal recruitment is just a formality (pardon the pun).
Old 03-03-2016, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm advisor to a fraternity chapter at a small Midwestern school, and you're correct, recs are a rarity. But actually, when we do get one, the guys are usually happy about it because it shows interest in the chapter in addition to being a heads up on a possible new brother. Our Headquarters, of course, asks that we take legacies seriously and afford them every courtesy. But we don't have the sorority legacy hierarchy of only daughters, sisters, etc.
And--most of our recs come via email or simply a "heads up" at homecoming: "wanted to let you guys know that my nephew, so and so, just moved onto campus as a freshman."
We also actually get more non-legacy recs: neighbors, brothers of girlfriends, high school friends, etc.One aspect of recs I DO enjoy is explaining from a graduate's perspective how important it is the be respectful of anyone who takes enough time to recommend a young man and then encouraging an officer to send a thank-you note and then a follow-up following rush. Also, reminded the guys to be positive and courteous to the young man, even if it seems evident he would not be a good fit.
So from an advisor's perspective, recs can be used as a teaching tool of sorts; so many young people today are ignorant of the social skills and obligations those of us who are older grew up with.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

For whatever it's worth, Huffington Post published an article (more op ed) about it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jared-..._9384976.html?
Old 03-08-2016, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought this was a remarkably astute article. I especially liked the term Default Conservatism. I have for some time differentiated between social or fiscal conservatism and the "we don't want change" conservatism. Now I have a term for it.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I don't mind NPC/IFC. I joined a sorority to get my Mrs. Degree. I didn't even bother going to classes or hanging out with the sisters. I just hung out with our "brother" fraternity. Them white boys were loaded! ...well at least their families were.
LOL. I think I went to school with you....