GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,483
0 members and 2,483 guests
No Members online

Old 12-13-2004, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Test Files

I have just been elected as the VP Intellectual Development for my chapter. One of the things I'd really like to do is keep an updated test file. All of the other chapters at my school have one updated that they use regularly. I think having an updated test file could be advantageous in trying to raise our chapter GPA. I have sifted through the contents of the current test files and found they contain lots of stuff from the '80s and early '90s. It seems like the last time it was really used was 3-4 years ago (based on the most recent material in the files). I am curious: how long do you leave materials in the files? Do you keep notes, or only old tests and quizzes? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-13-2004, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what it's like at your school, but I personally I'd feel a little iffy about keeping a test file. Some teachers collect tests so they can recycle questions. While on one hand having a test file could help raise your chapters GPA, if the test file was found it might raise a few eyebrows about if cheating was potentially going on. I personally keep all of my notes, books, tests, etc for my major. What might be better is if you keep a record of what sisters took what classes with which profs. That way if sisters need to look at anything or get recommendationsa they know who to turn to.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
We have a few old tests, but I mean OLD. Like, back when AU was still on quarters old, so you can't really figure out which ones go to what class. There's only like 3 or 4 anyway, and all from teachers that have long since retired/gone to another school. Mostly we just have old textbooks (it's not like the field of math changes all that drastically) and notes.

As far as keeping "test files", I can't say I wholehearedly agree with it. Even looking at tests from almost a decade ago kinda made me squeamish about the whole "is it cheating?" issue. I think the best thing is just keeping old notes and texts.

One word of advice though: ORGANIZE IT! I hated trying to find stuff for Cal II and finding biology and sociology in the math file.

Last edited by bekibug; 12-14-2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
I don't know what it's like at your school, but I personally I'd feel a little iffy about keeping a test file. Some teachers collect tests so they can recycle questions. While on one hand having a test file could help raise your chapters GPA, if the test file was found it might raise a few eyebrows about if cheating was potentially going on.
Test files are not cheating. They are used to help you understand how a certain professor tests and the type of questions he/she asks. If the prof keeps giving the exact same test year after year, that's their stupidity.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I was also VP-Intellectual Development (then called "Scholarship VP") and also kept up files. What I did was each time someone gave me there test files when finished, I compared them to the old archives. As the tests became newer with newer questions, the older tests were trashed.

It kept the files up-to-date and I only had to go through the files 2 times a year!
Old 12-14-2004, 01:04 AM

Our Education Director (same concept as VP Intellectual Dev.) is squeamish about test files as well. As a result, we don't have them. Even though we don't, it's not hard out of 60 women to find someone who is taking or has taken something you're taking and get notes or whatever might be helpful to you in the class.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Test Files

If the tests are returned to the students aren't they in the public domain? We had a test file and it helped out in 2 or three classes.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

If the teacher gives them back, then there is nothing wrong with putting together a koofer file. Some teachers even keep them on hand and if you ask they will let you see them before tests. Old tests can be good study aides.

Though I guess you should check with your school's policy. I know that there was a story recently where a chapter at JMU was found to have old tests in a file in there house and this was against the honor code at their school or something.

I think it depends on the class as to what you keep. I had some classes where we didnt have "tests" neccessarily, but certain assignments. Just ask people to turn in anything that would deem useful in that respect at the end of each semester. Also, I think anything over five years would be a little outdated, teachers change. At the end of each semester have girls turn in stuff then spend some time at the beginning updating things.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pink and green
My school is very big on the honor code, and the rule regarding test files at our school is that they may be used unless the professor specifies otherwise.

My accounting professor, for example, included in the syllabus that he would provide us with old tests but it was an honor code violation to seek out other tests than those he gave us. However, my econ professor made no such mention, so a test file would be fair game.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
Do test files actually help students?

In my major, teachers usually do use the same exam for a couple of years..but most of them keep the exams.