GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,679
1 members and 1,678 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't throw away your membership.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a Bible study in your chapter? If not, perhaps you could find a few other sisters who would like to do one together. You can schedule it around chapter events. I really enjoyed mine when I was in college.

I remember how challenging it was to fit it all in - church, family, sorority, campus, academics... But I truly believed God had put me in the sorority He did for a reason. I did devote less time to my church, but I had a ministry in my chapter. That was in many ways far more important than anything I could have done in my local church. I would encourage you to see your sorority membership as a unique opportunity to live out your faith in loving and practical ways with your sorority sisters and not as a hindrance to being at church.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:42 AM

Not trying to derail or turn this into a South vs. North vs. East, etc.; but, is it common for some campuses to schedule initiations, philanthropies, and such on Sundays?

Greeks at my school never scheduled events on Sundays. We did have meetings on Sundays nights, but they started at 7:45 or 8 in order for members like myself to attend evening services. We might have scheduled an IFC rush event on a Sunday afternoon, but it would definately be over by 4 o'clock.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-27-2015, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The only things we had on Sunday were intramurals and they were in the afternoon and we had chapter meetings on Tues. nights. It didn't conflict with typical church times.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Something doesn't sound right here. Let's say there are 36 Sundays in a school year and go from there.

While the chapters with whom I have worked (7-9) have occasionally had Initiation on Sunday morning, they've never regularly had anything else. Initiation is ONE TIME a year, TWO if you take a New Member class both semesters. This leaves 34 Sunday mornings.

If the school is having Bid Day on Sunday, again, this is ONE DAY per year. So now we're down to 33 Sunday mornings free. This would be a Panhellenic decision, so talking with the chapter advisor about your chapter's delegate working on this in your Panhellenic would possibly be a better route to take here.

I can't imagine why a chapter would hold philanthropy events every Sunday morning. Philanthropy events require PEOPLE to give you money or to participate, and it just doesn't mesh with my experience of current college campuses that so many people are out walking campus on Sunday morning to donate to your table, play volleyball in the sand, jump on a trampoline, etc...... So this chapter holds or participates in around 30 philanthropy events each school year?????

Yes, many organizations hold chapter meetings on Sunday evenings, and it can be during the same time as evening services. That does not prevent attending morning services (unless, as we are led to believe, the chapter holds philanthropy events every Sunday morning), attending chapel during the week, Wednesday night services, or weekday Bible studies.

While I know that it can seem like a chapter has something going on "all the time," this is rarely actually the truth, except during Greek Week, Recruitment Week and possibly Homecoming Week. There is a better solution than throwing away a lifetime of sisterhood. *You* (meaning any member of a Greek organization who faces this problem) just have to be willing to look for it.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa62 View Post
I am a junior in college, and I have been in my sorority for a year. Over the spring, I studied abroad (so I was inactive). I love my sorority and everyone in it. I have thought about it a while, and I think that its not for me. I think I want to focus more on spending time with christians and not with people who party and drink and stuff. My chapter never pressures people to do that stuff, but I am trying not to turn into that. How to I drop out? I wrote a letter, and was going to put it into the presidents mailbox with my membership card and badge. What else should I do? Thanks
Quote:
I am in a smaller/medium sized chapter. We have around 100 girls. I guess I should explain more. I used to help out at my church/go to studies/etc multiple times a week. Especially after having meetings and events EVERY sunday, I havent been able to do any of that. It is especially hard with all of the studying I have to do with classes. My reasoning isnt really "I am a christian, so I cant be in a sorority". I guess that I am a follower, and I dont want to morph into the wrong people becuase I am always at the sorority. I have even found myself doing things I would never do, just because the sorority was doing it. Obviously, it is my fault, and not the chapters at all.
Quote:
Thats the thing- almost all sorority events are on sundays for our chapter.
Meetings- every sunday evening (so that rules out any 6 or 7 oclock service)
We dont have a ton on sunday mornings, but we have a lot. Multiple mandatory philanthropy events, bid day, family events, initiation, some ceremonies.

I do love it, but I really dont want to be in it any longer. I feel like I am not in any way satisfied from it, and I have noticed myself becoming someone I dont really want to be.

OP, if you still follow us here on GC has there been a manageable outcome for you regarding your issue?

Would you mind sharing it for future readers of your thread?