GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 01-31-2018, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Bill would ban fraternities, sororities at Tennessee's state colleges & universities

"Fraternities and sororities would be banned at Tennessee's state colleges and universities under a newly filed bill.

The legislation, HB 2042, would, however, allow professional fraternities that promote "the interests of a particular profession" and honor societies.

All other fraternities and sororities "shall not be recognized or otherwise permitted to associate with, or operate on the campus of, any state institution of higher education," according to the measure.

The bill's sponsor is Rep. John DeBerry, D-Memphis, a graduate of Freed-Hardeman University and the University of Memphis. "

Read more at link

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...medium=twitter
Old 01-31-2018, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I doubt that bill will get very far.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:56 AM

Idiotic. Someone must need a "think of the children" issue to hang his reelection campaign on.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Unconstitutional AF.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-31-2018, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Unconstitutional AF.
Right?

And if you're going to ban any organizations from an entire state, I could think of a few more that might be SLIGHTLY worse and would easily take precedence over Greek organizations.

at this bill.

Just for a second, though, imagine if this passed (or was close to passing). Think of how many pissed off people DeBerry would be facing.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Between my experience having interned for a congressman from Tennessee on Capitol Hill and having lived in Tennessee for a period of time, I can confidently say this bill will be received poorly by the majority of people in Tennessee. Greek unity is strong in Tennessee, and many influential people in the community (politicians included) are Greek. Maybe this would pass somewhere with a lot less Greek presence, but even then I doubt it's constitutional (first amendment right to peacefully assemble?).
Old 01-31-2018, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
Between my experience having interned for a congressman from Tennessee on Capitol Hill and having lived in Tennessee for a period of time, I can confidently say this bill will be received poorly by the majority of people in Tennessee. Greek unity is strong in Tennessee, and many influential people in the community (politicians included) are Greek. Maybe this would pass somewhere with a lot less Greek presence, but even then I doubt it's constitutional (first amendment right to peacefully assemble?).
This was my first thought: on top of everyone else, how many politicians are Greek? This guy will be fighting an uphill battle.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-31-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

It's not like he is the first person to think of this. A lot of people believe GLOs should be banned for various reasons because once FSL is eradicated, 19-22 year olds will no longer do stupid things. It's a very noble goal.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-31-2018, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's not like he is the first person to think of this. A lot of people believe GLOs should be banned for various reasons because once FSL is eradicated, 19-22 year olds will no longer do stupid things. It's a very noble goal.
At the rate greek life, in general, is going, we may end up eradicating ourselves.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 02-01-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

They should ban athletics while they're at it, and also raise the age of college freshmen to, idk, maybe 30?