GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,398
2 members and 2,396 guests
ForeverAOII, Xidelt

Old 08-17-2011, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I cut out for recruitment/sorority life?

Last edited by voguegirl; 08-22-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I revealed too much info, could be detrimental during recruitment.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-17-2011, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

All of us are awkward at times, most of our families are not wealthy. So why would you think you would be released? Your grades are fine, your activites are good.

I would have a talk with your family regarding the costs. Most schools can provide you with financial info on Greek life before you sign up. Also, the groups will talk with you at some point during recruitment about that. But start now to find out what the costs are on your campus and then talk with your folks.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Each sorority has its own personality and they can vary greatly at each school. Sorority women aren't cookie cutter, and at most schools, it is totally possible for all different types of women to find a home.

Your GPA/extracurriculars look pretty good, work on keeping both of those up this year, and put in a really strong college application. Many of the same things that help your college app also help you in recruitment- leadership, good grades, etc. Having a friendly and outgoing personality will definitely help you, and don't worry about the occasional awkward moment, everyone has them. Just practice meeting new people and making small talk.

As far as your money concerns, dues will vary greatly depending on where you go to school. At some schools, your dues will only be a few hundred dollars a semester, but at others they will be a few thousand. Either way, many women work part time/over the summer while in college to help pay their dues- it's totally possible. Many groups will also help you set up a payment plan to pay a little each month.

If you're still interested a year from now, go through rush. The worst that can happen is that you won't get a bid, and that's ok. Also, if your school is competitive and requires recs, start looking now. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't comment on your activities, GPA, whatever. What I can comment on is your statement about feeling awkward and being afraid of not getting a bid.

That fear is the reason I never went through recruitment at my old school, and I can tell you I 100% regret it. I'm an incredibly (painfully!) shy, awkward person and my conversation skills aren't the best. I get very nervous very easily, making all of this so much harder. I'm going through my recruitment soon, so even though I can't tell you how to NOT be awkward, all I can tell you is that, for me, I was so disappointed in myself that I wasn't even brave enough to go out and at least try! I transferred schools now, and am incredibly excited to just have the experience! Like HannahXO said, the worst that could happen is you not getting a bid, and that is DEFINITELY not the end of the world! Throughout recruitment, you'll meet tons of girls that might become your best friends, and at least you can say that you tried! Especially if you're going to a bigger school, there are SO many activities and clubs to get involved in on campus! Yeah, it'll hurt if you don't get a bid, but so many women go through recruitment, don't get bids, and go on to do INCREDIBLE things for their schools (and in their adult lives)! Like I said, I haven't even gone through my recruitment yet, but I am so upset that I never went through it at my old school that it pushed me to do it now! It's an incredible experience that I'm so excited to go through, and even though it's a year away, I really hope you decide to! And remember, if you decide it's not for you, you can always withdraw from recruitment! At least at my school you can, I assume all schools have this option.

(Most of what I've said is like a Cliffs Notes version of everything I've been reading here on GC the past few months to prep myself. I've only been to one meet & greet and already met some great girls! It's definitely an experience and I think everyone should at least give it a shot!)
Old 08-18-2011, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

You can work on your awkwardness and conversation skills over the coming year. Even girls who feel very comfortable in conversations can get overwhelmed by rush, especially at a big Greek school where there are so many chapters to visit, it's so LOUD in the rooms and you have the additional pressure of seeing that sea of rushees out there with you. Read through here and focus on people's suggestions about conversation, and in the recruitment threads about what was actually discussed during the parties.

As far as the money, as long as you can afford it, you're fine. There is the occasional chapter that puts too much importance on your father's wealth, but that is not the norm. I wouldn't worry about them.