GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 999
1 members and 998 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Recruitment at Georgia Southern University

Hi Everyone -- I am brand new to this site and love it! What great information! I am a parent seeking info and trying to learn all I can. My husband and I are both Greek, but it's been more than a few years since we were in college.

Our oldest son is a high school senior who will start college Fall 2011. In a way, I feel like I'm jumping the gun by asking questions now; then again, things can change a lot in 25 years, so what was the norm in my day could be completely outdated now. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say, so maybe I'm not starting too early to gather information.

Right now, I am specifically interested in fraternity recruitment at Georgia Southern University. Though our son has applied at several schools, Georgia Southern is a top contender because their Computer Science school (his intended major) is really fantastic. He recently learned he has been accepted at the university, and says he is 95 percent sure that is where he'll go.

He is interested in going through fraternity recruitment next fall. Can someone give me some feedback on recruitment at GS? From the Greek Life info at the school's website, fall fraternity recruitment does appear to be pretty structured. I like that -- I do think it's more beneficial for incoming freshmen. It looks like GS does require them to visit every house.

*I see they have 15 IFC fraternities. How competitive is fraternity recruitment at GS? I heard that, for sorority recruitment, cuts were massive this year at GS.

*Do they have summer parties and are incoming freshmen encouraged to attend?

*Are rec letters important? I know they are for young women going through sorority recruitment, but don't know if that is the case with guys.

*Finally, do many athletes at Georgia Southern join fraternities? I only ask this because of the slight possibility my son might play football there. Coaches have requested film and have talked to his high school coaches. We don't anticipate a scholarship; at most, an invitation to walk on. He isn't sure he wants to play college football, but does know he wants to participate in fraternity recruitment. Where my husband and I went to college, there was animosity between football players and fraternities--I don't know why, but the football players were always starting trouble with the fraternities. A few athletes broke the code and pledged -- and loved it.

Of course, like any mother, I'm going to tell you that my son is an awesome young man and I think he would be able to find a Greek home. Yet, I hear how competitive recruitment is these days, with many kids getting released -- even though they seem to have everything in order. Also, my son is very quiet by nature. Once he knows someone and is comfortable, he'll talk a blue streak...but initially, he's shy. I think it sometimes comes across as stand-offish, but he is not that way at all.

Any insight and info would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Recruitment for some fraternities there is very competitive, not so for others. Not many scholarship athletes join.

Guys don't really use recs. I can get you some contacts if you'd like.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
Hi Everyone -- I am brand new to this site and love it! What great information! I am a parent seeking info and trying to learn all I can. My husband and I are both Greek, but it's been more than a few years since we were in college.

Our oldest son is a high school senior who will start college Fall 2011. In a way, I feel like I'm jumping the gun by asking questions now; then again, things can change a lot in 25 years, so what was the norm in my day could be completely outdated now. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say, so maybe I'm not starting too early to gather information.

Right now, I am specifically interested in fraternity recruitment at Georgia Southern University. Though our son has applied at several schools, Georgia Southern is a top contender because their Computer Science school (his intended major) is really fantastic. He recently learned he has been accepted at the university, and says he is 95 percent sure that is where he'll go.

He is interested in going through fraternity recruitment next fall. Can someone give me some feedback on recruitment at GS? From the Greek Life info at the school's website, fall fraternity recruitment does appear to be pretty structured. I like that -- I do think it's more beneficial for incoming freshmen. It looks like GS does require them to visit every house.

*I see they have 15 IFC fraternities. How competitive is fraternity recruitment at GS? I heard that, for sorority recruitment, cuts were massive this year at GS.

*Do they have summer parties and are incoming freshmen encouraged to attend?

*Are rec letters important? I know they are for young women going through sorority recruitment, but don't know if that is the case with guys.

*Finally, do many athletes at Georgia Southern join fraternities? I only ask this because of the slight possibility my son might play football there. Coaches have requested film and have talked to his high school coaches. We don't anticipate a scholarship; at most, an invitation to walk on. He isn't sure he wants to play college football, but does know he wants to participate in fraternity recruitment. Where my husband and I went to college, there was animosity between football players and fraternities--I don't know why, but the football players were always starting trouble with the fraternities. A few athletes broke the code and pledged -- and loved it.

Of course, like any mother, I'm going to tell you that my son is an awesome young man and I think he would be able to find a Greek home. Yet, I hear how competitive recruitment is these days, with many kids getting released -- even though they seem to have everything in order. Also, my son is very quiet by nature. Once he knows someone and is comfortable, he'll talk a blue streak...but initially, he's shy. I think it sometimes comes across as stand-offish, but he is not that way at all.

Any insight and info would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much.
At this point, it seems like your son's biggest problem is that his mom is doing the research that he should be. doing.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
At this point, it seems like your son's biggest problem is that his mom is doing the research that he should be. doing.
She doesn't seem to be a helicopter mom, considering he's still in HS. Don't we always tell the high school students to enjoy their high school years and work on keeping grades/involvement up?

OP - as long as you're just doing preliminary research and NOT living vicariously through your son, he should be fine. Encourage him to look for some of the answers on his own when he has time.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

He is and he will keep doing it. He's going to an informational meeting (just him, not me) tomorrow night that is supposed to cover a lot of things about the university -- academics, housing, campus life, student activities, etc... he's also been to Statesboro several times (again, without me), found Greek Row and looked around. Just found out last week that he got accepted, so he's gearing up. I'm just curious because it's my kid, but I don't try to orchestrate anybody's life. It's going to be his recruitment. He's researched all the colleges he applied to, and I'm confident he'll continue doing the same in regards to any activities he might pursue.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

And thanks knight shadow--you're right, I am not a helicopter parent. I couldn't be, even if I wanted to. Over the summer, I just suggested a few colleges he might want to apply to, and he completely shot me down. He had already researched them and knew they didn't have the computer science curriculum he wanted.

I told him that going through fraternity recruitment was completely his call. Glad he has decided to, but it had nothing to do with me. Amazing, tho, how many parents do try to run the show. I see A LOT of it where I live. I've always wondered what will happen when these kids are 27-28 and don't get the raise or promotion they want--will their parents call their bosses? Ha, it wouldn't surprise me!

Anyway, he is still early in his senior year and goes to a tough school academically. Plus, he's in sports and other extra-curricular--does stay very busy. He did make it down to Statesboro recently, tho, and decided what dorm he wants.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a Computer Science Engineering Major in a Greek Organization ... I'll tell you something. It's a completely different ball game than my brothers !!!

Computer Science is a Cyber Cave... your son is going to write code well into the night. In fact I realized that the best coding times where in the moon light hours. Greek organizations are extremely time consuming. Your son is going to have to wrestle with extremely long projects and greek events.

That said, I'll tell you one thing. I absolutely think it was the best decision I ever made. I'm not naturally shy but I am a natural thinker. But the greek life was something that pushed me into the Leadership Role as well as into the Social Role. It was a great choice, and I loved every minute of it.

Just make sure that your son knows how to manage his time. You don't want him going to functioned events while he should be finishing his projects. WHICH ARE GOING TO BE TIME CONSUMING AS YOU'VE NEVER IMAGINED !!!

Last edited by KnightWolf; 01-27-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWolf View Post
I was a Computer Science Engineering Major in a Greek Organization ... I'll tell you something. It's a completely different ball game than my brothers !!!

Computer Science is a Cyber Cave... your son is going to write code well into the night. In fact I realized that the best coding times where in the moon light hours. Greek organizations are extremely time consuming. Your son is going to have to wrestle with extremely long projects and greek events.

That said, I'll tell you one thing. I absolutely think it was the best decision I ever made. I'm not naturally shy but I am a natural thinker. But the greek life was something that pushed me into the Leadership Role as well as into the Social Role. It was a great choice, and I loved every minute of it.

Just make sure that your son knows how to manage his time. You don't want him going to functioned events while he should be finishing his projects. WHICH ARE GOING TO BE TIME CONSUMING AS YOU'VE NEVER IMAGINED !!!
I agree. I went to a somewhat smaller school with very strong CompSci and Engineering programs, yet was very much a Greek-focused school. While a lot of girls that I know were in different programs, I had a lot more guy friends than girl friends. My boyfriend at the time was in a fraternity and he, along with a lot of others in scattered fraternities, were CompSci majors and they actually found it easier the older they got. You know, that they were quite stressed during the pledging and new member periods, but once they were Juniors and Seniors, they found it much easier to balance the two (plus a varsity sport). They all agree that it was completely worth it.

He just has to realize that he will have a hard time if he a) doesn't have good time management skills or b) doesn't put forth the huge effort that it will be, especially the first couple of years. But everyone that I know who went through the same thing (ten years ago) wouldn't have traded it for the world.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

KnightWolf and AnotherKD -- thanks so much for your input! Yes, he is heading into a challenging major. He recently got back from visiting Georgia Southern and told me he got to talk to the computer science department chair -- who told him they aim to weed 'em out early! There is one class they have to take very early in the game that is exceptionally wicked -- he said the chair told him it's the one that separates the people who really want to pursue the major from those who aren't totally committed. Oh boy.

My husband was a computer science major -- it was quite a few years ago, but there were many, many hours spent in the computer lab and a lot of three nighters with no sleep. I love the term "cyber cave"! How appropriate! He was active in Greek life, though, and even served as chapter president senior year. So yes, it can be done, and as you both said, he would not trade it for anything. Last weekend, he served as a groomsman in a brother's wedding, as did several other brothers. Most had not seen each other in years, and yes, they were all gray around temples (or bald), but did they ever have a great time reuniting! Some of the best pictures the photographer took were of those men bringing the past and present together.

If I had to judge my son's time management skills a few years ago, it would have been scary. Now, though, I can honestly say there has been a lot of growth in that area! It's interesting to see kids start getting their wings that last year or so of h.s. He's carried a full load of classes, sports and other activities and made it work, but will have to decide how much he wants to take on as academic demands increase, and of course, college is a whole new ballgame.

He's very interested in recruitment, and we hope he feels like he can manage his major and fraternity membership. He and a friend recently went to a general info session Southern held at a hotel near our home -- there were reps from every facet of the school there, including Greek life. He really liked the Greeks he talked to and what they had to say about the system there. Registration for fall orientation opens this week, so I guess the ball is about to get rolling.

Thanks again!