GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,206
3 members and 1,203 guests
flamboyanttree, John

Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

What makes a great pledge?

Well? What does a great pledge do to distinguish himself? What qualities
do brothers want to see in pledges? What happens if you're not a great pledge? Other than just being dropped.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Um, if you're not a great pledge more brothers are going to make you do bitch work for them, you're going to get yelled at and singled out to be asked shit more, if you have to meet brothers/get signatures/whatever the brothers are going to make it harder for you to meet them, stuff like that.

And a great pledge knows the stuff he's been assigned to memorize for the week at the first meal of the week (or the first of whenever it is you question your pledges), meets all the brothers quickly (not just his quota every week), and cleans up/drives/does whatever task is assigned to him without bitching. That is all the shit you have to do, but unless you're also sociable and fun and go out at night the brothers will just think you're kind of a suckup. You do everything you're supposed to and are still fun, then you're a great pledge.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally I think a great pledge is somebody with alot of heart. All they need is to care for the fraternity. Of course hard work is also a good thing.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
Um, if you're not a great pledge more brothers are going to make you do bitch work for them, you're going to get yelled at and singled out to be asked shit more, if you have to meet brothers/get signatures/whatever the brothers are going to make it harder for you to meet them, stuff like that.

And a great pledge knows the stuff he's been assigned to memorize for the week at the first meal of the week (or the first of whenever it is you question your pledges), meets all the brothers quickly (not just his quota every week), and cleans up/drives/does whatever task is assigned to him without bitching. That is all the shit you have to do, but unless you're also sociable and fun and go out at night the brothers will just think you're kind of a suckup. You do everything you're supposed to and are still fun, then you're a great pledge.
Well said. I actually liked pledgeship (well most of the time...) I was President of my pledge class which comes with some extra fun, but I also was at the house a lot- even when not required. At first you pay for that, but over time you get messed with very little. But it does have to be sincere. If you come off as a suckup then that is almost worse than not being around at all.

In my pledge class, the guys who got messed with the most were the ones who did not come around except when they had to and were kind of intimidated by the actives. Over time, some of them got the message and came around more- and a couple just quit because even though they were good guys, this was just not the place for them.

The best way to be a great pledge is to take your time during rush and go where you really feel like you are in the right place. When you are rushing, the place where you go and kind of fit in almost right away is usually the place you want to end up. The general structure and principles of the various IFC fraternities are quite similar, so it is really all about where you just naturally get along with the guys and the ladies they associate with. Find that and have a good time, and you will naturally be a good pledge.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

This is such a simple question, but a good one. I am a bit shocked it hasn't received more responses.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Spend time with the brothers. It may be a little tougher as a pledge but you'll have close relationships, more respect from the older brothers, and a more rewarding fraternal experience.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
The best way to be a great pledge is to take your time during rush and go where you really feel like you are in the right place. When you are rushing, the place where you go and kind of fit in almost right away is usually the place you want to end up. The general structure and principles of the various IFC fraternities are quite similar, so it is really all about where you just naturally get along with the guys and the ladies they associate with. Find that and have a good time, and you will naturally be a good pledge.
You literally took the words outta my mouth.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Be humble in certain ways and confident in others, if you get too cocky, you will be taken down a level.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

In my eyes a good pledge is one that has his priorities straight, has a good attitude, stays on top of school, and does what he's asked in a timely manner. Those are things I look for when recruiting so I expect that from our pledges throughout the semester. I think EE BO mentioned a great point that pledges will be good ones if they choose the right fraternity for them.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

In addition to many of the things others have said, a good pledge is the same person during pledgeship that he was during rush, and that he will be as a brother. Being a good pledge is good, being both a good pledge and a good brother is better.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure I agree with that. Sometimes you want your pledge to grow during the pledge process. Thats the whole reason of having a process instead of initiation right away.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. Sometimes you want your pledge to grow during the pledge process. Thats the whole reason of having a process instead of initiation right away.
Well, that's true. I meant in the sense of being at least of consistent character and commitment, or better if possible.