GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,354
0 members and 1,354 guests
No Members online

Old 10-12-2006, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ucfgreekpnm
Rushing as a Senior?

I rushed this past fall as a junior at UCF and ended up dropping out because I didn't feel at home towards the end of recruitment with the chapters that I had left. I really feel upset and regretful that I didn't rush as a freshman or sophmore. Does it ever happen that a Senior gets a bid at UCF?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-12-2006, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgreekpnm View Post
I rushed this past fall as a junior at UCF and ended up dropping out because I didn't feel at home towards the end of recruitment with the chapters that I had left. I really feel upset and regretful that I didn't rush as a freshman or sophmore. Does it ever happen that a Senior gets a bid at UCF?
I thought COB was already pretty much over for the fall at UCF, so would this mean you're thinking about spring informal?

And are you graduating in May 2007?

I can't exactly speak for UCF, but in general, I don't know how many sororities would be receptive to accepting a senior as a new member, initiating her after her NM period, and having her graduate like three weeks later. If you're staying for an extra year (or even a semester) that might make things different, but if you're planning on going through spring informal recruitment at UCF only to graduate that very same semester, I'd say your options will be limited.

But maybe someone who actually goes to UCF can elaborate?

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 10-12-2006, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll be graduating in the Summer of 2008, the chapters I was very interested in will not be doing Spring Recruitment or COB. If I were to rush again it would be in Fall of 2007.

Last edited by ucfgreekpnm; 10-12-2006 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'll be graduating in the Summer of 2008, the chapters I was very interesting will not be doing Spring Recruitment or COB. If I were to rush again it would be in Fall of 2008.
Well you'll never know until you try, so I say it's worth a shot. My school personally doesn't have too many sororities that take seniors (or spring-semester juniors) for the reason that they won't be in the house for more than a year, max. This seems to be the sentiment at some other schools. But, of course, I don't know what it's like at UCF.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

That must be because according to them, You are Old! WOW, Old )

Our current New President is a Senior and just got Initiated in May!

What some do not realize is that a maturer person can be of great help!

They also do not realize that as an Alum, you could be of great help for that GLO.

I just wish you the best of luck!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 10-13-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'll be graduating in the Summer of 2008, the chapters I was very interesting will not be doing Spring Recruitment or COB. If I were to rush again it would be in Fall of 2008.

Don't you mean Fall of 2007?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

yes, sorry that's what i meant. I would rush again Fall 2007
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UCFStefanie
I can speak as someone from UCF who went thought recruitment with only 1 year left.

Yes it is possible to go greek during your last year however it is extremely rare. I did formal recruitment and was cut hard but in the end ended up at my #1 all along.

If you want more info PM me.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'll be graduating in the Summer of 2008, the chapters I was very interested in will not be doing Spring Recruitment or COB. If I were to rush again it would be in Fall of 2007.

Just to be honest, the chapters that do not participate in COB or Spring Recruitment are probably the same ones that are not going to take seniors. Just keep an open mind and make sure you give all of the groups a chance should you choose to participate in recruitment.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think you should try for spring rush. The more time you have in your chapter, the better! You may not know if the sororities doing spring rush have your interest unless you go to the houses and give it a shot. You could end up falling in love with one you never expected. Sometimes you're not sure, but you can't always tell how amazing its going to be until you're inside. Give it a shot!

If you do choose to wait until fall, I can't tell you how it's going to work out. I go to USF and I had some friends that went to UCF that went thru as sophomores and juniors and it worked out well. However, I know here that seniors can present an iffy situation. If you're going to have a full year in your chapter, it may be a different story. It just depends on your school and the chapter. I know one of our school's chapters has extended bids to numerous seniors in the past but several other chapters drop people because they're juniors! So, it just depends. I say go thru spring and see what happens, but if not and your heart is still set on it--go back thru fall! Good luck!

Last edited by EGAOPi; 10-13-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

If you rush in Fall 2007 at UCF as a senior, you will most likely be heavily cut and left with very few options after the first round. If you make it to prefs and list more than one option on your bid card, you will likely get a bid. BUT if the chapters you liked dropped you in formal recruitment prior to prefs, you likely are not going to have a shot with them coming through a second time.

And you're right-- those chapters don't do COB. You may want to re-evaluate your options and consider other chapters. Is it important to be a member of XYZ or to be a member of the UCF Greek Community? Honestly, at the end of the day, being a member of the Community is what counts and that will be the experience you take with you in addition to your sorority memories. As you know, there are strong relationships between the chapters. And our chapters have over 100 members. I think you could find a fit in a group with 100+ women, don't you?

I'd recommend looking at COB this spring instead. The seniors who have competitive formal recruitments are the ones with titles like Miss UCF, O-Team, Dance Marathon Exec and SGA President, or who have best friends in the chapters, and even then it isn't 100%.

That's just honest advice and I'm not saying this to be mean or discouraging of your interests. It's just the truth. Take it or leave it and good luck at UCF.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
Just to be honest, the chapters that do not participate in COB or Spring Recruitment are probably the same ones that are not going to take seniors. Just keep an open mind and make sure you give all of the groups a chance should you choose to participate in recruitment.
Agreed. Your options will be limited as a senior. At this point, you need to re-evaluate whether you really want to join any sorority or if you want to join XYZ. Like everyone else has been saying, go to COB events. Your opinion might change and you'll have a better shot of joining a sorority.