GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,302
1 members and 1,301 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 11-14-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb UF-- editorial on recent issues

http://www.alligator.org/edit/opinio...1eddy1114.html

This was printed in today's edition of the Alligator... an independent student newspaper at the University of Florida.

I was just wondering what everyone thought about it.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:54 PM

Seems pretty much right on target to me.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Good article, but the Alligator is covering it's ass because some fraternities and sororities are now refusing to put ads in the Alligator because of the negative articles constantly published about Greek life... But they did manage to put a good spin on the story...made them seem rather noble and above everything, oh the ability of a good journalist!
Old 11-14-2002, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

That's kind of the same reaction I had. It's like "oh yeah, cover your butt NOW"... but then again, if bad things didn't happen, then they wouldn't have to report on it.

And there is the argument that they well, they don't report on good news. But that's just the nature of the business. How many times do you read about the good things that people do in your community? There are probably a few articles, but definitely not the huge headlines on the front page. Greeks do good things for the community, and it's expected... so they don't report on it because it's not out of the ordinary. When they do bad things, it gets the front page.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:23 PM

Gee, I notice that they had no trouble reiterating exactly which chapters committed the misdeeds, but when it came to the positives, it got distilled into a generice "many charitable services." Would it have killed them to have an example, like ZTA's work for women with breast cancer?

We all know that people hone in on things with the name attached, so IMO, this is just an excuse for them to reiterate the negative stories they've printed in the past.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:22 PM

As a late friend and television associate of mine used to say, "Some people would bitch if they hung them with a new rope."

Why not just appreciate that some good things were said. We sure complain enough when the news is bad.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-14-2002, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, time for a little Intro to Journalism here..

The EDITORIAL gives the paper's opinion. This editorial was not printed in order to give good PR to the greeks, so why would they include a mention of ZTA's work - or anybody else's - in it?

No newspaper offers "good press" as a headline. Look at the New York Times. How often do you see a tralala-type article on the front there!? Yeah, when there are PR companies involved, it makes the news...but that's another ballgame.

I think you guys are expecting too much of the ONE newspaper that UF has. It's too bad there has never been a paper who could come CLOSE to reporting like the Alligator does.

Sure, the greeks buy advertising - or, are boycotting right now - yeah, let's see how long THAT lasts - but the Alligator doesn't owe the greeks anything just because they buy ads.

That's unethical.

A newspaper reports the facts - and only in the opinion section, does it offer opinions.

The Alligator does an excellent job of reporting the facts. And they choose to report on stories that are news to UF. Now, as many of us know, there's not much happening at UF, so when something out of the ordinary DOES happen, it's on the front page of the Alligator.

Don't knock the Alligator because of what is NEWS. That's society. We love dirty laundry.

The people who should be KNOCKED are those who violate the policies and push the limits. They are the ones bringing unwanted attention to the greek community.

The greek community should take responsibility for THEMSELVES and stop trying to blame everyone else for their problems.

You should be thankful these articles rarely make your hometown newspaper. I wonder what all your mommies & daddies would say if they read the day-to-day of this latest scandal? Or, would they even care?

Respectfully submitted,
Annie
Kappa Delta Sorority alumna
UF College of Journalism graduate (TEL) 1989
(And btw, I was never an Alligator staff member)
Certified high school journalism teacher in the state of Florida since 1992
Old 11-14-2002, 05:42 PM

missing my point ENTIRELY

Yes, I REALIZE it's an editorial.

Yes, I REALIZE the paper has to print news stories when they happen.

So why are they re-printing news in an editorial? By reiterating what the various fraternities did, name by name, that's what they are doing. The "good things" mentioned in this article were reported with so little enthusiasm, why would anyone care? As opposed to the misdeeds...why do have a vision of a staffer yelling "stop the presses, we forgot to put in the part about the Vietnamese prostitutes!"

Either mention the names on both sides, or don't mention any at all. The article reads like one of those left-handed compliments - "Oh wow! You've lost TONS of weight, you'll be able to wear normal clothes now!" or "Gee, you're not the insufferable, pompous jerk I thought you were." I agree with UFRushee - this is an attempt to make them seem "noble" and reclaim ad dollars.

It's an editorial - an opinion. Well, the editorial in 33girl Daily says "This is a lame attempt."

oh and kdonline - the "mommies and daddies" comment was simply not necessary. You're in a forum of peers of various ages, not your classroom, so please cut the condescension.

Last edited by 33girl; 11-14-2002 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

uh... read a little deeper

Uh... the article is about the NEGATIVE attention greeks get. The headline is "A few bad apples: Attention-grabbing slip-ups overshadow Greek life."

So the editorial is about the NEGATIVE actions.

Personally, I don't think this editorial puts the Alligator in a better light for ad revenue. They're not at all - in fact, they are scolding the greeks once again.

All these fraternities screwed up again -- in just a year's time!? What's up with that!?

I think you're missing the editors' point entirely.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:21 PM
Banned

They just had to throw PIKE in there.......

They need to leave us alone....
Old 11-14-2002, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I keep thinking that events we witness, might look so much worse on paper! Or as news. I mean the thing might even be very frivolous but just looks terrible when reported.

Does that happen Delta Alum and Kdonline?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not nearly as harsh as some I've seen...
Old 11-14-2002, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

That's the kicker, James...Anything could seem frivolous in the eyes of a few. And of course, seeing it in print is pretty darn sobering, isn't it?!

Now, how do you think the reporters find out about these events?

Gee, do you think the University calls the (fiercely) Independent Alligator? Uh...no.

Do you think an Alligator reporter just HAPPENED to be at all these places at the right time? No again.

Sure, there are the police reports, but let's use this Sigma Chi/Biker Bash thing as an example - how do you think the paper found out? The Theta house is not on sorority row, so there probably weren't any peeping GLOs..

So...then it must have been a tip! Someone called the paper! And who do you think called them? Who do you think calls them every time something negative happens? That's right - your brothers and sisters!

Now, I don't think that your brothers & sisters who narc on you deserve a beatdown. They're not the ones who should be punished.

Those who should be punished are those who bring shame to the organization....and ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I keep thinking that events we witness, might look so much worse on paper! Or as news. I mean the thing might even be very frivolous but just looks terrible when reported.

Does that happen Delta Alum and Kdonline?
Sure, I suspect it does. An example doesn't come to mind at the moment, though.

The thing it keeps coming back to is this. If there were no fire, there wouldn't be any smoke.

It is so easy -- almost to the point of cliche -- to say, "The nasty old Media is against (fill in the blank).

Here's a real simple rule: If you don't want bad publicity, don't do stuff to bring it on yourself.

Here's another: If you break the rules, you'll probably get caught.

And then, somebody will write about it, because it will be news.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

A great explanation for why we have "bad press"...

Here's how the news works (as explained to me by a news station consultant)

Imagine you have a car and one of the tires goes flat... What is the story? The 3 wheels working just fine? Or the one that is flat?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma