GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,566
1 members and 1,565 guests
navane

Old 08-05-2013, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face A Retro Recruitment - 'Game of Thrones' Style

I've lurked here for years, and each fall come back in excitement to read about the new recruitment season. It brings back such memories and nostalgia. I especially enjoy the recruitment stories, old and new, so thought I would share mine.

Intrigue, surprise twists, fascinating characters, perfidy, disappointment, and humor – I love the 'Game of Thrones' books and HBO series! I remember my recruitment in the 80s at the University of Oklahoma as having a lot of the same characteristics, so here we go. The 11 sororities at OU at the time were:

Cersei
Sansa
Jaime Lannister
Daenerys
Jon Snow
Arya
Catelyn
Tyrion
Shae
Ygritte
Bran

Back in those days it was still called ‘Rush.” During the summer after high school, I wasn’t sure I wanted to go through sorority rush until I ran into my good friend ‘Stephanie’ at the mall in early July. ‘Stephanie’ was a year older than me and had pledged Daenerys at OU the previous fall. She encouraged me go through rush.

I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea. My parents had divorced the summer before my senior year in high school and I had a really, really rough senior year as a result. To make matters worse, I’d been a cheerleader my junior year but didn’t make the squad going into my senior year. So: my parents split up, I didn’t make cheerleader – my little teen world came crashing down. As a result, my grades my senior year plummeted. Money was tight after the divorce, and I wasn’t sure I really fit in with my perception of ‘perfect’ sorority girls. In short, I felt I wasn’t really the ideal PNM candidate.

However, I really respected and liked my friend 'Stephanie'. We’d been cheerleaders together and she’d been very supportive when my parents split. She promised she’d help me get recs and prepare for recruitment. If 'Stephanie' thought I should go through rush, it suddenly seemed like a good idea.

So I decided to do it! My mom and I went on a flurry of shopping, hitting all the end-of-summer sales. I was the first person in my family to ever go through recruitment, so we had no idea what to buy (as you will see when I share what I wore to the parties!)

Despite “Stephanie” offering to help out with recs, the assistance never materialized, so we scrambled to figure out A) what recs WERE and B) how to get them. This was really, really last minute, like late July, with recruitment starting in early August. I can’t remember how many recs we finally ended up getting, but there weren’t many. At the time, I was too busy trying to find the perfect outfits to really think too much about it.

I recently found my daily calendar book OU Panhellenic gave us at the first orientation meeting, so I have actual comments written in my girlish curving cursive to draw from. We moved into the dorms, and since my roommate had decided not to go through recruitment, I had the room to myself for the week. I met several other girls who also lived on my floor: “Patsy”, “Sharon”, “Amy”, “Tamara”, “Lori” and “Jennifer.” I'll share what I can remember about their experiences, too.

The events were scheduled in this way:

Day One, Friday: Open House Day – 7 houses
Day Two, Saturday: Open House Day – 4 houses
Day Three, Sunday: 7-Party Day
Day Four, Monday: 4-Party Day
Day Five, Tuesday: 2-Party Day or Preference
Day Six, Wednesday: Bid Day

As we moved into the dorms, I found myself beginning to question what I’d gotten myself into. “Patsy” and “Sharon” across the hall were moving in what seemed like an entire luxury home into their dorm room, complete with mini-fridge and even carpet! Their clothes closets were full of multiple choices for each day (depending upon the weather.) This was the 1980’s, mind you, so we’re talking sweater vests, walking shorts, add-a-bead necklaces – complete Preppy. Their clothes were expensive and, to my clueless eyes, seemed ‘perfect’ for a potential sorority girl. I felt a little worried when I looked at my own dorm room – bare essentials, no carpet or mini-fridge, and all the clothes that had seemed perfectly fine when I bought them that now seemed all wrong. Already the comparison process was starting, and I felt woefully inadequate.

However, I’m not a shrinking violet and I usually make friends easily. I decided to give the experience my all, put my best foot forward and above all, to have FUN! Many of my older friends from my large high school had gone through recruitment the previous year, and so I figured I had a bit of an advantage in having good friends in most of the houses, a situation that just might offset my lack-luster senior year grades…
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I love retro stories! Looking forward to it.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

A Game of Thrones story and an Oklahoma story! Can't wait to see how this turns out. A nice amuse bouche before the new course of current recruitment a stories!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Bonus points if you finish writing the story by tomorrow!

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi
Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Day One:

August in Oklahoma is hot: 105 degrees in the shade. The first day of Open Houses started around 9 a.m., way too early for this girl before I discovered the joys of coffee. It was already positively broiling when we lined up with our rush groups. Each group had about 50 girls, and I was glad to see that ‘Jennifer’ from my dorm floor was in my group. The outfit I’d chosen for the first day was a blue and white striped seersucker sundress, which seemed perfect when I bought it off the sale rack – but it was HOT! I was starting to really sweat by the time we got to the first house, which was

Sansa, and the house was gorgeous. The door flew open and a swarm of pretty, preppy girls burst out, yelling and screaming and clapping. I think I took a step or two back – I’d not known about rush songs, and my nerves caused me to start giggling. They were loud! Inside, things were more subdued. I also felt nervous there, but wasn’t sure whether it was the girls or the new experience. They were all very ladylike, and I felt like I had to really mind my P’s and Q’s when talking with them. Let's just say my sense of humor tends to be a bit earthy, and I was worried that I might say something inappropriate! I saw 2 older girls from my high school there, though we didn’t get to talk. I wrote down that the girls were nice, rather quiet, and that I would like to go back to this house.

Bran. I didn’t know a soul here. The house wasn’t as impressive as Sansa’s but the girls were very nice. I really liked their theme, and felt they were more enthusiastic about their philanthropy. In fact, they were more enthusiastic in general than Sansa. I felt more relaxed here, but wasn’t sure I could see myself being a Bran. Instead of mixing and talking with various girls, we all sat down and listened to a few girls talk about the house, and I didn’t feel like I really got to know any of the girls. I wouldn’t mind going back, but I liked Sansa better.

Next was Ygritte. Their house was newer and very pretty. I felt very comfortable here, and actually sighed in relief when talking to several of the girls. They seemed very down-to-earth, with a wide mix of interests. I definitely wanted to go back. I felt like I could be myself at Ygritte.

Shae had a very nice house on the outside, but a little run-down on the inside. I cringe at my 18-year-old self making these surface judgments now, but at the time it seemed important. I knew some of the older girls who had gone to my high school by name, but not well enough to consider friends. These girls just didn’t really make an impression on me, good or bad. The girls were friendly, but I didn’t feel much of anything, other than a desire to get out of the heat. My notes say ‘bland’ and I didn’t think I would mind if I wasn’t invited back.

Next was Daenerys! My friend ‘Stephanie’’s sorority! I just knew it would be awesome. The house was beautiful and I knew lots of girls from my high school there. I was greeted by a girl I knew from high school, “Teresa” and I was so relieved to see someone I knew in this alien sorority recruitment environment that I squealed her name and gave her a big hug. As I was pretty sweaty at this point, I’m sure she was less than thrilled, but she smiled gamely and we talked until the next bump. Next I talked with a girl who was VERY tan – this was the height of the tanning bed craze. She was nice enough, but we didn’t really click. I kept looking around to see my friend ‘Stephanie’, but no dice. I got bumped to another girl I knew from school, and we talked comfortably. I finally got to see ‘Stephanie’ as we were walking out. She gave me a big hug and a smile, and told me she was glad to see me. However, as we left, I felt a little odd. I liked the house, the conversations were good, but I didn’t feel overly welcomed or like the ‘special snowflake’ I was sure I would be at Daenerys. At this point, it started to dawn on me that sorority recruitment was a whole new game, one that I was woefully unprepared for. I still hoped that I would get to go back to Daenerys, but wasn’t sure I felt completely comfortable there.

We walked on to Jon Snow. Very nice house and friendly girls. They seemed more ‘All-American’ and girl-next-door than either Daenerys or Sansa. I talked with a very cute and bubbly girl for the first part of the visit, then got picked up by an Amazon beauty queen type who had not the slightest interest in me. It was obvious. By this time, though, I was exhausted and knew there was just one house to go. I did my best to keep the conversation going, and at one point the cute bubbly girl looked over, rolled her eyes, and gave me a big wink. I left feeling like Jon Snow could be a house where I could feel comfortable, and definitely wanted to go back to learn more.

The last house for the day was Arya. I also knew some girls in this house, but not well. The house itself was a little outdated but the girls were terrific. Much like Ygritte, I felt like I could be completely myself. I spent most of the time with a fantastic girl who shared the same sense of humor as mine, and we really clicked. One of the girls from my high school made it a point to come and say hello, and the second girl I talked to was really pleasant, although we didn’t have a lot in common. She was very earnest about how much she loved Arya, and this made an impression. It was the first time someone had really talked about what their house meant to them, and the first time conversation got below a surface level. Despite my initial impression about their average house, I really enjoyed myself here and very much hoped to go back.

Since this was just the first day of the Open House parties and we still had to visit 4 more the next day, we didn't officially rank the houses. However, my personal preference at this point was:

1. Daenerys Stephanie! Girls from my high school! Gorgeous house! Squeeee!
2. Jon Snow I really liked the bubbly girl with the sense of humor and their pretty house. I really wanted to get to know them better.
3. Ygritte Felt fairly comfortable here and - pretty house! God, I was superficial.
4. Sansa Tent talk had it as a 'top house.' Maybe my feeling uncomfortable was just nerves due to the new experience? I didn't necessarily feel like I could totally be myself, but felt like these kinds of girls would be good to emulate.
5. Arya Though I really liked the girls, I had a hard time getting past their not-so-stylish house. I had the best time here and at Ygritte and looked forward to seeing if I clicked as well with other girls as I had this time.
6. Bran Their presentation was pretty boring compared to the conversations at the other houses. Still, I liked the girls I talked to, and even though it wasn't my favorite, I still felt open to visiting again.
7. Shae It wasn't horrible, but nothing stood out to me as interesting, either. Perhaps I just didn't get to talk to girls I had things in common with, but I wouldn't be sad if I didn't go back to this house.

I definitely had found some houses I felt I could be comfortable with, but decided to wait until the next day to see what the last 4 houses had to offer.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Hindsight you are doing a lovely job. I am eagerly awaiting your next and following posts.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 08-05-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

awesome story so far =D

ΔΔΔ

$15 Million in 5 Years for St. Jude
Old 08-05-2013, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

More please!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Two

The second day of Open House parties dawned just as hot as the previous day. Thunderstorms were a possibility and brought very high humidity, although the sun kept beating down. We only had 4 parties on the schedule this day, which I was profoundly grateful for! My outfit for this day was a pink and white seersucker sundress – you guessed it! The exact same dress I’d sweated my brains out in the day before, only different color. They had been on sale buy-one-get-one, and it seemed to make sense at the time. Doh! It was all I had brought with me to wear on this day, so I had no choice but to apply extra deodorant and hope for the best.

The day started with Cersei. There was some sort of delay, so we had to stand outside about 15 minutes past the scheduled start date. I could feel my long, thick hair getting positively WET at the nape of my neck, and I hoped they would let us in soon! Finally, we heard a tremendously loud SLAM!! and the Cersei ladies started their welcome chants. I thought the Sansa house was loud, but this was truly awe-inspiring. Their house was incredibly beautiful and impressive – and we had a lot of time to stand and admire it in the wilting heat, because their songs and chants just went on and on.

Finally, they let us in and we filed in, greeted one-by-one by a member girl. I was thinking how nice and friendly this was until I felt a hand slide into my ARMPIT!! The tall, lovely blonde who I was assigned to had taken my by the upper arm to lead me to the drink table and left her hand in my sweaty armpit the whole time! I knew this house was supposed to be a top house but omigosh-she-has-her-hand-in-my-armpit-and-I’m-dripping-sweat-all-over-her-hand!!

I couldn’t speak. Anyone who knows me will tell you how rare this is. I was A) embarrassed because I was sweating and B) appalled, because on a day when it’s over 100 in the shade, any fool knows not to even go near armpits, let alone leave your hand there for long periods of time! Seriously, she left her hand there the whole time we talked. I finally just looked down at it, then looked up at her, then back down at her hand and she still left it there. She kept her hand in my armpit wayyy longer than could have been considered normal, even in non-sweaty conditions.

I honestly don’t remember a thing we talked about (MY ARMPIT!). The girls were all like supermodels and the house was incredible inside (OMG I’M SWEATING ALL OVER YOUR PERFECTLY MANICURED HAND!) and I knew I was supposed to be impressed and fall in love because they were a top house (HOLY COW, HER HAND IS STILL IN MY SWEATY ARMPIT!) but I was so freaked out that I have no idea what I said. I wanted to like Cersei, I really did. But that was one of the weirdest experiences in my life, even to this day. I think I’m still scarred, nearly 30 years later.

Next was Tyrion. I still had the cocktail napkin from Cersei, and held it in reserve as we walked so I could surreptitiously mop my armpits in the event that the next hostess also felt the need to slide her hand in there. I was pretty unsettled and don’t remember much about Tyrion. They had a rep as a bit of a party house, but the girls I talked to seemed really nice. I’m sure I wasn’t at my best, as I was worried about being sweaty the whole time. Their house was a big and traditional and attractive. I felt fine in the event that I’d be invited back, but was too shell-shocked that I’d sweated all over a Cersei’s hand to take any notes.

We then went to Jaime Lannister. I felt excited again because I knew tons of girls from my high school at Jaime Lannister. Their house was pretty, their chants and singing were cute and catchy, rather than thunderously terrifying, and nobody tried to put their hands anywhere embarrassing. I was immediately greeted by one of my closest friends on our H.S. cheer squad, ‘Gwendolyn’, and she stayed with me the entire time. ‘Gwen’ would walk me around, introducing me to many girls, and our conversation was normal and fun and pleasant, just like we were talking in a regular environment.

So many girls that I knew made it a point to come up to me and tell me they were glad to see me. I started to feel better. I started fantasizing that ‘Gwen’ would be my Big Sis, and that I’d be reunited with all my friends. I felt happier than I’d felt so far during recruitment, and actually started to get excited that I’d found my college sisters. It was that good. ‘Gwen’ had always been a close, calm and laid-back friend. We’d clicked right away when we first met, and talking with her felt just like old times. I left feeling SO happy and knew Jaime Lannister was where I wanted to be AND where I felt wanted!

The last house of the day was Catelyn. I knew it could never compare to Jaime Lannister, but I was excited to see the older sisters of one of my best friends from high school. I knew that my friend ‘Suzanne’ was also going through recruitment and that she would almost certainly be a Catelyn. Their house was pretty, maybe not as stylish as Sansa or Daenerys, but definitely somewhere I’d be proud to live. I felt very comfortable at Catelyn, and ‘Suzanne’s older sister immediately picked me up and we laughed the whole time. I’d always gotten along great with her, and felt like I could definitely see myself as her sister. I was still riding on a complete high from my great time at Jaime Lannister, and was almost giddy with relief to be met with such welcome at Catelyn, especially after the traumatic Cersei armpit incident. I could definitely see myself being a Catelyn. I could tell that all the girls really felt affection for one another, and they were very ‘real.’ I was so tired at this point but I knew I would have some hard decisions to make because I didn’t want to “let any of my friends down.” Ha ha – like it was really up to me, right?

When we got back to the dorms, we had to write all the houses in order of favorites. I ranked them:

1. Jaime Lannister

2. Daenerys

3. Catelyn

4. Sansa

5. Jon Snow

6. Arya

7. Ygritte

8. Tyrion

9. Cersei

10. Bran

11. Shae

The next day we would be going to 7 of the houses – I was excited but nervous, hoping that I would get to go back to Jaime Lannister and Daenerys and see my friends again!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Since we only had 4 parties to go to, there was plenty of time to hang out in the dorm rooms with the other girls on my floor going through recruitment when we got back. Some of the girls were legacies, and most of us had already decided what our favorite houses were. “Patsy” really liked Daenerys (with her tanning bed habit, she'd have gotten along great with the girl I talked to), Jaime Lannister and Cersei, “Sharon” liked Sansa, Cersei and Jon Snow, “Amy” had already decided she would be a Cersei and nothing else would do, “Tamara” was leaning toward Jaime Lannister, Arya, Catelyn and Jon Snow, “Lori” was a Cersei legacy and “Jennifer" liked Arya, Jon Snow and Daenerys.

They all thought my armpit buddy experience at Cersei was as horrifying and hilarious as I did, although a few couldn't believe a Cersei had done that. They told stories of PNM who had passed out from the heat, one girl with green hair and a pierced nose, and of one girl who got separated from her pledge group and kept coming back to the Sansa house because she knew that was where she belonged. We stayed up late that night, too excited to sleep!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Seven Party Day

We were awakened by our Rho Chis bright and early the next day to receive our list of houses. After that, we had an hour to get ready and begin our tours. I got my list, and it read:

1. Daenerys
2. Arya
3. Tyrion
4. Jaime Lannister
5. Jon Snow
6. Catelyn
7. Ygritte

My first reaction was relief that I had all 7 parties to go to. One girl on our floor had only received 5 and was in floods of tears. I was so excited that most of my favorites, including Jaime Lannister and Daenerys, had invited me back! While I wasn't surprised that Cersei had cut me, I'd been looking forward to the opportunity to get a NORMAL person who wasn't obsessed with armpits so that I could have the chance to really get to know if they were a fit. I was also somewhat sad that Sansa had cut me, as all the girls on our floor were going back to Sansa.

Overall, though, I was super happy to go back to the houses I got, and not sad at all to give Shae and even Bran a miss. I had the fleeting thought that I never really got the chance to find out what Bran was all about, but mostly I was all SQUEEEE! about Jaime Lannister and Daenerys.

I can't remember exactly what I wore to these parties - I think it was khaki pants and some sort of lineny button-down blouse with those shawl collars that were in style then. Oh, a BIG woven leather belt. Still too hot for the weather, but I don't remember sweat issues quite as serious as the previous days.

Daenerys
I was so glad to be going to Daenerys first, while I was still fresh. I was now obsessed about being sweaty (gee, wonder why?) and was ready to make a great impression. 'Stephanie' greeted me at the door and I was so happy to really get a chance to talk to her. We learned about their philanthropy and got a tour of the downstairs part of their house. I got to meet several more of the girls and had a good time, but compared to Jaime Lannister, I just didn't feel as comfortable. Things just felt a bit stilted, like the girls there never really let down their facades. However, I felt sure that with more time, I could get to know them better and still felt I could be very happy at Daenerys and was pumped to get to be there because HIGH SCHOOL FRIENDS!

Next was Arya. The girl who I was paired up with was a senior and she was hilarious! We totally clicked - shared the same warped sense of humor. She introduced me to several of her closest friends and they were awesome. These were girls I would have chosen as friends regardless of organization. The party seemed to fly by - they shared their philosophy and we toured the house. At one point, there was a rather stuffy girl who shot us some quelling looks because we were laughing so much, but my host just laughed that off, too. I was really surprised how much fun I was having and how I regretted having to leave when time was up. Dare I think it, but I was feeling as if the girls at Arya were much cooler than the girls I had just left at Daenerys...but - HIGH SCHOOL FRIENDS!

Our next stop was Tyrion. Their house was so much nicer than Arya, but the girls just weren't as easy to talk to. For the second time, I think poor Tyrion suffered from the way I was feeling after leaving the previous house. I didn't know anyone there, and the girl I talked to was very quiet. Our conversation felt stilted and I just didn't feel like they really shared anything about their sisterhood to make me want to be there. I wanted to like them more, but I just wasn't feeling it.

But that was ok, because next was Jaime Lannister!!!!11!! :: backflip :: I was so stinkin' excited that I practically cartwheeled into that house. My friend 'Gwen' was in the skit, so I was paired with a girl I'd never met. The skit was very cute, but almost too cutesy. Despite my overwhelming love for Jaime Lannister, I was making internal comments in my head about how cheesy it was and that it was going on a bit too long. However, after it was over, another girl I'd gone to high school with came over to take me to the refreshment table. We were chatting animatedly until I choked on my drink and had to be patted on the back until I could breathe. Now I was feeling flustered and embarrassed. Oh noes, what was happening with my perfect dream sorority? Finally, 'Gwen' and another good friend, 'Cindy' came over and we had a nice conversation. We laughed a lot, telling stories from high school and they told me how much I would love being a Jaime Lannister. My love was restored and I felt certain this would be my sorority!

Our schedule then took us to Jon Snow. I was hoping to get a chance to talk more with the bubbly girl from my first visit, but instead was greeting by a girl I knew casually from a rival high school. We had a nice conversation and she was perfectly friendly, but it just felt very surface and small-talky. I felt so disappointed. I really wanted to learn more about this house and really wanted to like it. We learned about their sisterhood, philanthropy and got a house tour, then the party was over. I looked for Bubbly Girl, but didn't see her. I'd been looking forward to talking more to her, but not this time. I decided that I would seek her out at the next party.

Next was Catelyn. I felt comforted to be going there, because I was still a little confused about not feeling like I connected at Jon Snow. When I got there, I was paired with a gorgeous redhead I'd never met. She was really sweet and told me that she'd heard good things about me from 'Suzanne's older sisters. We also shared the same major and so found a lot of things in common to talk about. I felt even better about Catelyn because even this perfect stranger was fun and easy to talk to, and it seemed they had taken the time to pair me with someone that had shared interests. We learned about their philanthropy and several girls talked about what their sisterhood meant to them. I felt like my brain was fully engaged for the first time since starting recruitment - and that it was ok to be a brainiac here when the mood struck. Dare I think it - but Catelyn was quickly becoming my favorite house. It just felt good and right to be there.

Finally, we went to Ygritte. After Catelyn and even Arya, this time it just seemed flat. The girl I talked with was perfectly nice, but kept asking me about cheerleading and talking about how they had some OU cheerleaders in their house. I had no intention of continuing that in college and told her so, but she kept wanting to talk about it. We got a house tour and it was quite lovely. I finally got bumped to another girl for a very short period of time, and even though she was pleasant to talk to, I just didn't feel like the girls were as interesting OR as interested in me as I did on the initial visit. It wasn't horrible by any means, but just kind of fell in the middle. I would have felt happy to go back, but it wasn't a stellar visit. I liked them fine, though.

After all the parties were over, it was time to go back to the dorms and rank all of our parties in order of preference. This was very hard for me. I felt conflicted - the houses that I wanted to like and felt like I SHOULD like hadn't been as great an experience as I'd expected - and a few of the houses I absolutely adored had fallen in the middle of my earlier rankings. What to do?

We had a few hours to decide, and all the girls on my dorm floor were talking about their days. Everyone had very firm opinions on which were the 'top houses.' After hearing all their input, I quickly wrote:

1. Jaime Lannister
2. Daenerys
3. Catelyn
4. Arya
5. Jon Snow
6. Ygritte
7.Tyrion
Old 08-06-2013, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

More! More! More! I'm loving this story.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

4 Party Day

The next morning we got our invites bright and early. Since there were only 4 parties to attend, we had two hours to get ready for the first event. I went into my dorm room, shut the door, and eagerly tore open my invite list.

1. Ygritte
2. Arya
3. Catelyn

WHAT? Seriously? Tears immediately sprung into my eyes. No Jaime Lannister? No Daenerys? I wasn't going to get to be in a sorority with my high school friends. They had cut me. They didn't want me. What was wrong with me? I must be a huge loser when sororities absolutely packed with all my closest older friends from high school DIDN'T WANT ME.

Oh, it was ugly. I had myself a big ol' pity party right there in my dorm room. I was SO glad that my roommate had chosen not to rush and that I had it all to myself. I bawled. I threw myself on my twin bed and thought about dropping out. I wondered how I would face all the perfect princesses on my dorm floor who had mini-fridges and outfit-matching Pappagallo shoes and color-coordinated storage systems from The Container Store and were almost certainly going back to ALL THE HOUSES THAT HAD CUT ME!!

Then, after a period of time much longer than I care to admit, I sat up, stopped crying, wiped my eyes and considered my situation. I had gone from being a girl who hadn't even considered being in a sorority a month before, to a girl sobbing in her dorm room because things hadn't turned out like I'd hoped. I barely recognized myself at this point.

I did some thinking and decided to focus on the positive. Yes, I didn't get invited to the full four parties. Yes, I felt disappointed and - dare I say it? BETRAYED by those girls who I thought loved me from high school. But I had been invited back by two houses that I had really loved and truly connected with. And by another house that was just fine.

So I pulled myself together, put a cold cloth on my red, swollen eyes and started to get ready. I wasn't thrilled but I was ready to make the best of it. I kept thinking in my head about what I had done wrong, how I'd hoped to be sisters with 'Stephanie' at Daenerys and 'Gwen' at Jaime Lannister, how I'd hoped to get a chance to really get to know Bubbly Girl and more like her at Jon Snow. And then I stopped myself and tried to focus on what was good. I loved the girls at Arya and Catelyn. I'd had the very best time at their parties. I'd really felt like I connected. And... Ygritte had a pretty house...
Old 08-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

What a great story! I am on the edge of my seat!!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
I LOVE this story. Retro, big school, and GOT!!! But, I think for the first time, it's a theme where my opinions of the characters chosen is influencing what chapters to root for!

TEII