GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,290
2 members and 2,288 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom,

First of all, you're welcome.

Second of all, it is NPHC.

NOT HNPC.

Please edit your post.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-06-2003, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
First off it is good to stir up the pot a bit.

Do you keep them under wraps untill Initiation and then say TADA this is a new Member?

i take it no one has ever heard of a probate or postbate.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
And if I saw an ASA sister wearing DZ letters, that would be a situation. I'm trying to explain the logic of why NPC groups might not put the same importance on wearing letters in the group's colors only and/or wearing the colors in general, and find something to equate it to so both sides can get a handle on it.
i'm not really trying to understand the logic. if you don't put the same importance on your colors, cool...no sweat of our backs. we value the colors of our organizations, that's why you'll NEVER see any of us with letters in anything except them.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
Actually, I never had until GC.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blulady
Before 1990 aspirants to orgs. of the NPHC wore identifying clothing and carried items unique to the org they were pursuing membership with.
I'll show my age but this is how I remember NPHC at the U of S. Carolina in the late 1980's. One particular sorority (red was the color I recall) used to have their aspirants wear identical clothing, right down to matching khaki raincoats. They had to walk one behind the other where ever they went. And one group of men, Alpha Phi Alpha, used to perform nearly nightly outside my large, 11 story dorm. their aspirants (I think) used to chant and step and perform and we would all gather and look out our windows and watch. It was very interesting but it did not look like much fun. Especially all the marching around wearing raincoats and carrying paddles (I think it was paddles). I'll never forget the chant: A-L-P-H-A P-H-I, A-L-P-H-A ALPHA PHI ALPHA!
Old 12-06-2003, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I havent...
Old 12-06-2003, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXORissa
I havent...
A "Probate Show" is often used interchangeably with "Neophyte Show."

However, probate is a misnomer these days. Pre-1990, there was a stage of the membership process called the "Probationary" stage. You were no longer a pledge, but also not a member. Generally speaking, the probate stage lasted for about a week before initiation -- hell week. During this time, the probates of the chapter would publically perform songs, chants, steps, and complex greetings of the Big Brothers/Sisters of the chapter.

Nowadays, the term probate show really means Neophyte Show. Performing such shows while not a member is considered against intake rules.

"Postbate" is a made-up word to describe that a neophyte show happens "post" initiation.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blulady
Because pledging as we (NPHC) once knew it is now forbidden, no org of the NPHC wants anyone to be able to identify its potential new members simply because of the penalties they may face if it is discovered.
Is the reason it is now forbidden because it would be considered hazing? Or have I missed something in this thread. Why did in 1990 everything change? I'm confused as to why an organization would be penalized (by whom?) if it were discovered they were intaking new members (which they all are anyway).

Lost again, I'm afraid.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

wow, are people really that interested in what goes on behind close doors in the NPHC organizations?
Old 12-06-2003, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
Is the reason it is now forbidden because it would be considered hazing? Or have I missed something in this thread. Why did in 1990 everything change? I'm confused as to why an organization would be penalized (by whom?) if it were discovered they were intaking new members (which they all are anyway).

Lost again, I'm afraid.
Traditional pledging has been abolished as a requirement for membership in NPHC organizations. Each affiliate organization has adopted a standardized selection and membership intake process, unique to each organization, that conveys the information deemed important to know before initiation.

The "old school" elements of pledging, such as dressing alike in public, carrying conspicuous items unique to the org, and public greetings of the initiated members, have been deemed improper. Always forbidden were paddling, assault, and all those other activities that are universally seen as hazing.

1990 was the year that things changed dramatically in all of the organizations because the year before, a pledge of one of the organizations died (of a pre-existing heart condition) while performing unsanctioned pledging activities. The Council of Presidents met and decided to re-examine the issue of pledging. The outcome was to abolish it all together and replace it with the membership intake programs.

According to "Black Greek 101" by Dr. Walter Kimbrough, pledging continued but was taken "underground." The clandestine nature of the pledging process arose because students wanted to maintain pre-1990 traditions, some of which were hazing, some of which were not. Undergraduate members were particularly resistant to the change, says Kimbrough, because they felt that they would not recieve respect if they had not gone through a process similar to which the older members had gone through.

The NPHC way of doing things, then, can be seen as secretive for two reasons:

1) Because Membership Intake is a private and discreet process by which members are selected and trained for membership.

2) Because some affiliates are still performing unsanctioned activities that will get their chapters suspended or dechartered if revealed.

If "Membership Intake" is discovered, it can result in the suprise of a neophyte show being ruined.

If "Pledging" is discovered, it can result in a chapter being suspended or dechartered.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
wow, are people really that interested in what goes on behind close doors in the NPHC organizations?
I'm not. But, then again, SisMunch is an AKA, so I've always known what to ask and what not to ask.

TomEarp, your refusal to respect the traditions of the NPHC (say it with me now!) reflects very poorly on you, and as a result, you're not representing your organization very well. If you're going to resort to negative comments and rudeness to mask your disinterest and ignorance, please remove your letters from your signature. You do not have to accept the traditions as your own, but you are hopefully mature enough to rise above the pettiness that you have displayed.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I

If "Pledging" is discovered, it can result in a chapter being suspended or dechartered.
Really?? All the guys I knew who were in two diff. NPHC fraternities (I forget the names..) all had to dress alike, and one group had to carry around canes that were red and white when they were pledging....Jett Jackson was one of those guys!!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess this all comes down to what is considered hazing. One of the non-ifc frats have their pledges wear dogtags, camoflauge pants and their GLO shirts during their "hell week". They're not allowed to talk to anyone except actives and only if they're spoken to. THis was hard, as my bio lab partner was one of their pledges and wouldn't talk to me in class at all; he text messaged me everything he wanted to say!

Now, if we did that, we'd be gone for sure. Is it fair? No, but that's the price you pay I guess for National Affiliation, which I'd still rather have.

Last edited by DeltaSigStan; 12-06-2003 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
Traditional pledging has been abolished as a requirement for membership in NPHC organizations. Each affiliate organization has adopted a standardized selection and membership intake process, unique to each organization, that conveys the information deemed important to know before initiation.

Thank you for replying to this. It helped a lot!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cammykaze1920
Co-sign!!
And I must say that I saw some girls from your sorority on-line earlier this year in NYC. The line was very tight...especially since it was pretty cold out that night.
Ok, so I'm sorry for being a little behind the eight-ball in replying to this post, but THANK YOU CK1920 for the shout-out!!! I would LOVE to know what school you saw the girls at, and when if you can remember. I can't wait to come home and see some pledges for myself in person!! And although I haven't seen any Zeta pledges in a while, I must say that the ones I saw at UMCP when I was in school were always on point (although I almost NEVER would see them until their probate)

And P.S. Your royal blue is looking LOVELY
Closed Thread