GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,651
1 members and 1,650 guests
No Members online

Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Georgia Tech: Rushing at 26 after taking medical leave and starting a company

Hi, I am 26 and am returning to college after medical leave. During that time I started a company and plan to continue running it at college. Before I left I never really saw the value of a Fraternity, I was kind of a loner. In the time I have been gone, I have gained a better understanding of the benefits of brotherhood. According to the university, I am sophomore. Will my age and experience be looked at favorably? Also, I will probably be able to contribute to the house more than others financially speaking. Will this help my chances? Any input would be appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2012, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know much about fraternity recruitment, but I have to wonder - what would a successful 26 year old have in common with a bunch of 19 year olds who just want to get drunk? Of course, not all fraternity men choose to party. However, you are at a completely different place in your life than those who are 18-22 years of age.

We live for each other.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTheThrill View Post
Hi, I am 26 and am returning to college after medical leave. During that time I started a company and plan to continue running it at college. Before I left I never really saw the value of a Fraternity, I was kind of a loner. In the time I have been gone, I have gained a better understanding of the benefits of brotherhood. According to the university, I am sophomore. Will my age and experience be looked at favorably? Also, I will probably be able to contribute to the house more than others financially speaking. Will this help my chances? Any input would be appreciated.
I hate to tell you, but your age & experience are probably going to be something to overcome at a lot of college campuses... please note that I said a lot, NOT all, campuses. Some college environments differ in their student demographics, especially if the student population is older. If you want to rush, rush. Just be prepared that you may not fit in with many of the traditional "IFC type" fraternities.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM

Instead of trying to rush a purely social fraternity, look into the business/social fraternities instead.

The financial comment is just so so much OMG NO. I'm sure if you showed up at this or that chapter and offered to pay all their bills for the rest of the year, someone would give you a bid, but do you really want to be known as "the creepy old dude who bought his way into XYZ"? Because that's pretty much what would happen. It could negatively affect your business as well.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpimiz View Post
I don't know much about fraternity recruitment, but I have to wonder - what would a successful 26 year old have in common with a bunch of 19 year olds who just want to get drunk? Of course, not all fraternity men choose to party. However, you are at a completely different place in your life than those who are 18-22 years of age.
Completely agree with your last sentence. But even with the disclaimer, the bolded is an unnecessary perpetuation of stereotypes.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpimiz View Post
Just wow.

That aside, you're 26, why not consider the Masons, Knights of Columbus, Rotary?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Completely agree with your last sentence. But even with the disclaimer, the bolded is an unnecessary perpetuation of stereotypes.
I suppose I went the wrong way about it, but I was trying to emphasize the difference between the two age groups.

We live for each other.