GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,594
1 members and 2,593 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Really Tough Time Finding Rec's @ UT

Hey guys, as the Title says I am having a very tough time finding people for rec's. I signed up with my local alumni chapter and have emailed and yet no responses. I am the first in my family to go to a University with sororities being popular and they have no idea how to help either. ANY advice would be appreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyclaire View Post
Hey guys, as the Title says I am having a very tough time finding people for rec's. I signed up with my local alumni chapter and have emailed and yet no responses. I am the first in my family to go to a University with sororities being popular and they have no idea how to help either. ANY advice would be appreciated.
*sigh* That's not what you said the other day when you were bragging about all you had going for you.

Quote:
I have really good recs, how much would that help me?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
*sigh* That's not what you said the other day when you were bragging about all you had going for you.
LOL!!

If people can find recs in my "one-horse town" then I find it hard to believe that people can't do it in other areas of TX, especially where Greek Life is more abundant.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I was talking about the rec's I had for the sororities I really wanted to be in. Remember how you said I shouldn't be so closed minded and look into all of them? Well I am. I have no affiliation with 10 of the sororities. The rest of them I have rec from friends. I'm trying to have rec for all of them
Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Emailing the local alumnae chapter is passive. You have to wait for them to get back to you. Try something a little more active.

Talk to your friends in sororities. They will know alumnae, who you might be able to meet with. It's ridiculous NOT to tell your friends who are in sororities that you plan to rush. Just don't make it the topic of every conversation, and don't ask too many specific questions (membership selection is private). You don't want them to feel uncomfortable, but I am guessing that they will probably be happy to talk about their experience.

Recruitment is about PERSONAL CONNECTIONS, between you and (at least some of) the members.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

it's good that you are trying to get recs. for all the sororities. you certainly will want to maximize your chances for receiving a bid.

i grew up in a really small town and i had recs. for every sorority at fsu. when i went thru recruitment, there were 18 sororities. ask your former teachers, neighbors, parents friends & coworkers, parents of your friends, relatives & ladies at your church. if they are not members themselves, they may know someone who was. it will take effort on your part, but it can be done.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM

Get connected with your local alumnae panhellenic. Talk to your friends, parents, church members, other relatives, former teachers, coaches, etc.

Finding recs isn't easy but it can be done. Plenty of girls at UT (who are probably from small towns with few connections as well) have done it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

You're in Texas and it blows my mind that you can't find anyone to meet with you. I realize this is a chat board/forum but the spelling, grammar, and lack of capitalization in your post (if in your e-mail to the Alumnae group) would make me less likely to reply to you as an alumna who writes recs.

I live in a pretty remote region and if the women here (and in a tiny village in Alaska) can do it, you should have less of an issue where you are. Always proof read your emails, and really rely on networking with people you know.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM

Go through the alumnae Panhellenic. DON'T just contact an alumnae chapter of KKG or whoever out of the blue. Different alumnae chapters may have WIDELY varying levels of involvement with recs or with the sorority in general. What I'm trying to say is, if you emailed the alum chapter full of 80 year old ladies that meets 3 times a year for tea, you're probably not going to get a response soon enough to help you.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

And remember, even if you get a name of an alum but you don't know her, call anyway. She will be helpful because recs are a normal request - even from someone they don't know.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Go to an area alumnae panhellenic information session and meet somebody. They will have lots of useful information for you.

Several of us post locations/dates/times where many of these are occurring on this thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=110692

SOMEbody will know somebody who knows somebody who knows how to get in touch with a member of an alumnae panhellenic who can help you. There are tons of girls like you who don't know where to start and who to contact. I know you've tried, but if you've got to broaden your search, don't be afraid to do that.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Do not just depend on the alumnae Panhellenic. They help you out as much as they can, but they may not have women to give you a rec for every single chapter. If you have friends who are in a sorority, bring it up to them. Oftentimes, they can help you out by giving you names of women who wrote recs for them.

Also, at the very least contact these wonderful ladies by phone. It gives them a chance to ask you questions, and for you to ask them questions. This can lead to a more personal rec. There may even be a few women who ask you if you are looking for more recs. In my experience, these women will pull out all of the information they have to try and help you find what you need.

I know that it is a lot of work, but I am sure that you will find everything if you look hard enough. Good luck!
-GKC