GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 305,597
Threads: 114,516
Welcome to our newest member, Betty5201
» Online Users: 353
3 members and 350 guests
APhi2KD, bagslvndhand

Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Snap bids at Bama

Does anyone know yet if Bama sororities will be giving out any snap bids? I know that bid day is today and I would like to find out. If they do, does anyone know the process?

A friend of mine has a daughter who went through rush, but dropped out yesterday morning. She had been invited back to 3 sororities for skit night and she REALLY liked 2 of them. When she got her invitations back yesterday, the 2 she liked so much had both dropped her. I was wondering if there was something she could do if any snap bids were going to be given out to let them know she was still interested. She had an exceptional resume (many honors courses, volunteer work, won and placed in many pageants) and over a 4.00 GPA, so it is hard for me to understand how this happened, but she didn't know anyone and it may have had a lot to do with it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2007, 11:16 AM

In short, there's nothing she can do. If all chapters reach quota through bid matching, they wouldn't be eligible to snap bid anyone. The silence period is still in effect until bids go out, so she should not be contacting the sororities anyway.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-19-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: don't want to misinform PNMs
Old 08-19-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

They go out tonight, I think around 5 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 AM

She is eligible for COB/Informal recruitment, but there may not be any if everyone reaches total today.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-19-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! Things have changed so much since I went through. We called them "open bids" and I could not remember how the process worked then and very unsure of how it worked now.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

In short, there's nothing she can do. If she dropped out on her own, she's not eligible for a snap bid. If all chapters reach quota through bid matching, they wouldn't be eligible to snap bid anyone. The silence period is still in effect until bids go out, so she should not be contacting the sororities anyway.
I'm not sure about that. I know in the UGA thread they're saying you can't give a snap to a girl who dropped but that wasn't true at my school. A girl who dropped out on her own was still eligible for a snap bid and those were usually the girls who got the snap bids because you're not going to snap someone that you've already cut. Usually the girls who got snaps were the ones that cut your house early on then dropped out near the end when they didn't get the invites they wanted.

However, she probably shouldn't get her hopes up too much for a snap bid. Like the UGA discussion snap bids at Alabama are very rare and statistically she doesn't have a very good chance. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that she shouldn't get her hopes up. And she should not be contacting the sororities before bid day. If she's interested in COB she should go to the greek life office and put her name on the list.

Last edited by kelcaopi; 08-19-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It's my understanding that if a PNM voluntarily withdraws she is still eligible for a snap bid as long as she informs Panhellenic that she would be interested. As to whether any snap bids were issued last night or how many Chapters made quota, we won't know that until later. Typically after the Bids are handed out.

You may want to check out my advice to MDBamaDad in his thread "Dad needs advice regarding Bama" on what to do next.

Last edited by Zillini; 08-19-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Zillini,

I PM'd you.

J
Old 08-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
If you withdraw from recruitment, you are not eligible to be a quota addition or get 'snapped'.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
If you withdraw from recruitment, you are not eligible to be a quota addition or get 'snapped'.
Is that at just Alabama and Georgia (or was it Auburn?)? At my school many women got snap bids when they dropped out, and I believe that's standard practice in NPC.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 PM

Although, isn't that (i.e. snapping) just to fill quota?

If a group is under total they can still continuous open bid up to total. How long is quota in effect (for lack of a better phrase)?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Snap biding is only to fill quota and only applies to bids extended in the period between actual bid matching ending and bids being given out. a chapter is not supposed to snap bid if they made quota but are still under total. That's COB and should be after bids are distrubuted.

Quota from a formal recruitment is in effect until the next session of formal recruitment.

Example: if a chapter matches 5 less than quota during fall formal recruitment, then that chapter has the right (even if over total) to take an additional 5 new members up until the next formal recruitment period.

At least this is the way the green book describes it. your milage by vary due to local campus panhellenic rules.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 08-20-2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Snap biding is only to fill quota and only applies to bids extended in the period between actual bid matching ending and bids being given out. a chapter is not supposed to snap bid if they made quota but are still under total. That's COB and should be after bids are distrubuted.
Right, this is the way I understood it. NPC doesn't have cut-and-dry rules about snap bids? I thought snap bidding to quota (including girls who dropped out of recruitment) was always permitted under NPC rules, but it sounds like it's not? Or does it just not have rules about which women are elligible for snap bids, so it is left up to schools to decide that for themselves?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Snap bidding is governed by the individual campus. The NPC Green Book only says "may", not "shall" about snap bids. Snap bids apply only to quota. However, they are allowed to COB to total beginning whenever the individual PH rules state it may begin (after bid day).
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Bama Snap Bids? Quota?

[quote=Zillini;1504654]It's my understanding that if a PNM voluntarily withdraws she is still eligible for a snap bid as long as she informs Panhellenic that she would be interested. As to whether any snap bids were issued last night or how many Chapters made quota, we won't know that until later. Typically after the Bids are handed out.

Were snap bids issued, and how many chapters made quota? How many are still under total?