GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,327
2 members and 1,325 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
Originally posted by saetex
how is his thread offensive. some of his facts maybe a little off, although in some areas of the country there were, in fact, very few minorities. i am studying this in a class right now. blacks are the ones bitching about all of these issues, why do you find that wrong to point that out?? he didn't say anything more than an opinion and what he thought were legitimate fact. there is no reason to call him an idiot.
Are you kidding? Have you ever read his posts before?

Quote:
Most of the bitching seems to come from the blacks themselves, still angry after five generations...
That's offensive buddy, because it devalues an entire group of people and their struggle. No class can teach what its like to live in a country where a couple of generations ago you weren't even considered a person.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OhioCentaur Send a message via Yahoo to OhioCentaur
Re: Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922

That's offensive buddy, because it devalues an entire group of people and their struggle. No class can teach what its like to live in a country where a couple of generations ago you weren't even considered a person.
Aint that the damn truth! I dont support segregation but i do feel that it is VERY important to question the motives of white individuals who want to join historically black organizations. If they present their case well then I see no problem with it.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioCentaur
Aint that the damn truth! I dont support segregation but i do feel that it is VERY important to question the motives of white individuals who want to join historically black organizations. If they present their case well then I see no problem with it.
Do you have problems with minorities joining historically white organizations? Would they have to "present their case?"
Old 02-17-2006, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

MOST DEFINITELY! I feel it should be treated the same way on both ends...I feel that way because, if a person can give you real reasons why they want to join and are prepared to face the consequences of joining that particular org then go for it! I just dont like to see people go against the grain who are not prepared for what is to come after its all said and done.
Everyone has to make their case as to why they want to join a particular org but even more so if the person is going to have lifelong backlash for the decision they made.
I have a white bruh in shippensburg who pledged before i crossed. I sat down and talked to him about why he did it and what he did to prepare for criticizm to come EVEN AFTER he had his letters. He told me his reasons why and that he had thought about all of that and still wanted it. I respect him as i do all my bruhs. But on the flip side i know a guy who pledged and made it all the way thru but couldnt handle the rath of his friends for pledging a black frat. He then depledged and i havent heard from him since. <- That right there I dont like. Thats why i say their case should be made ahead of time.

Last edited by OhioCentaur; 02-17-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922

no I understand, however there was a significant group of middle and uppermiddle class blacks during post reconstruction and the civil rights era that set themselves apart from their own race. when the large groups of ex slaves and poorer blacks were focusing solely on reparations and pensions (in short, having the government give them money.), wealthier blacks and those that had power were pushing agendas concerning civil rights and education. If the two groups had been more unified, history as it panned out could have been different. the fact that a huge constituancy of blacks did not heed the advice of their early on leaders, such as booker t. washington, only helped their struggles.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok, so going with the idea that Pike is a historically white fraternity, as accused in the article (I'm not saying it is, I'm going based on the idea of the article), should we question the motives of the blacks at Howard who want to join Pike instead of APhiA or one of the other HBGLO's? I know this is going to be thrown right back at me because "it's a different situation!*!*!*!". But why? I think a white person would be able to see something in an HBGLO...philanthopy, solid brotherhood, just an overall nice group of guys, etc. as a black could see in Pike.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Ok, so going with the idea that Pike is a historically white fraternity, as accused in the article (I'm not saying it is, I'm going based on the idea of the article), should we question the motives of the blacks at Howard who want to join Pike instead of APhiA or one of the other HBGLO's? I know this is going to be thrown right back at me because "it's a different situation!*!*!*!". But why? I think a white person would be able to see something in an HBGLO...philanthopy, solid brotherhood, just an overall nice group of guys, etc. as a black could see in Pike.
I wouldnt say its a different situation totally. I feel there should be questions if its a black joining a historically white or a white joining a historically black...they dont have to turned away due to race but i feel they should be evaluated and made aware that even if you make it there will be people who dont accept you... are you prepared for that. If they say yes and mean it then give them the opportunity if they fit the same criteria as everyone else.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
Oh boy...let the mayhem begin.

On a journalistic note: I would have rethought the headline for that...it could be construed as toe-ing the libel line.

(in order for it to be libel though, it must be wrong. The writer didn't mention where they found the "white's only "clause, and, in my not-so-professional opinion, that's a heavy accusation to make without saying "as found in their pamphlet/flyer/bylaws/charter/underwear drawer". Now if it is TRUE, then there's nothing to worry about, but it's a rough accusation to make without citing a source.)
I partially agree. I don't know how well-documented or well-publicized the "racist past" is. However, there doesn't have to be a "whites only" clause for there to a be a racist past since the organization would claim that it wasn't founded to serve a particular community.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: the clause--

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik P Conard
Most of the
bitching seems to come from the blacks themselves, still angry after five generations...
Maybe "angry" isn't the right descriptive.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
MOST DEFINITELY! I feel it should be treated the same way on both ends...I feel that way because, if a person can give you real reasons why they want to join and are prepared to face the consequences of joining that particular org then go for it! I just dont like to see people go against the grain who are not prepared for what is to come after its all said and done.
Everyone has to make their case as to why they want to join a particular org but even more so if the person is going to have lifelong backlash for the decision they made.
I have a white bruh in shippensburg who pledged before i crossed. I sat down and talked to him about why he did it and what he did to prepare for criticizm to come EVEN AFTER he had his letters. He told me his reasons why and that he had thought about all of that and still wanted it. I respect him as i do all my bruhs. But on the flip side i know a guy who pledged and made it all the way thru but couldnt handle the rath of his friends for pledging a black frat. He then depledged and i havent heard from him since. <- That right there I dont like. Thats why i say their case should be made ahead of time.
Then I guess you'll have issues with me!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Then I guess you'll have issues with me!
Elaborate, please.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
blacks are the ones bitching about all of these issues
What a way to discredit their concerns.

It is true that there was a relatively small population of Blacks in colleges and universities in the early and mid-1900s. Not as small as people assume, though. This should not be confused with the perceived necessity for "whites only clauses." If the numerical representation of blacks was virtually nonexistent, there would have been no need for such a clause.

"Whites only" clauses are one of the many reasons for the conception of college-level Black Greek Lettered Organizations.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Elaborate, please.
Looks like the poster has issues with both whites joining minority orgs and vice versa. Since I'm Asian and a member of an NPC GLO, then my guess is that the posters will have "issues" with me if I can't explain WHY I decided to join an NPC GLO.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
no I understand, however there was a significant group of middle and uppermiddle class blacks during post reconstruction and the civil rights era that set themselves apart from their own race. when the large groups of ex slaves and poorer blacks were focusing solely on reparations and pensions (in short, having the government give them money.), wealthier blacks and those that had power were pushing agendas concerning civil rights and education. If the two groups had been more unified, history as it panned out could have been different. the fact that a huge constituancy of blacks did not heed the advice of their early on leaders, such as booker t. washington, only helped their struggles.
Please don't use this thread as preparation for your midterm exam.

Unless you are going to go the extra step and make the logical connection to this thread topic explicit, spare us (especially those of us who have devoted a CAREER to race and ethnic relations, among other things) the history lesson.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 02-17-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no problem with you or anyone else. I do , however, feel there are precautions that need to be taken into account before doing something like that. Please dont ASSume anything more than what is in front of you already stated. We have all different races of members and i have no qualms or problems with it. I just like to see people aware of what they are getting themselves into and hope that they are ready for the world in a sense.
Closed Thread