GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,446
3 members and 2,443 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 12-29-2005, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Unexpected Sisters

I stole this idea from the Theta Forum, thinking it might add a little life to our forum

So, has anyone ever met someone and then unexpectedly discovered that they are an Alpha Phi?

My favorite story is that in law school when I was a journal editor I worked with this author who I really enjoyed working with. My college roommate went to work at her firm and we all hung out from time to time. It took about 2 years before we all discovered that everyone involved in our little social gatherings is an Alpha Phi. This woman is an amazing attorney and I am so proud to have her as a sister.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

HAHAHA....since this is 'dead week' for us working stiffs, I'll add on.

My husband was a navy brat, and during his days living in Lemoore, a woman there who was a civilian flight instructor became a good friend of the family. In fact, to this day she's still his "other Mom".

So when my husband and I were first together, I met her a couple of times over the couse of a year and a half or so. I remember one time we drove up to her house from the Bay Area and spent an aftenoon there for whatever reason. It was winter (such as winter is here in California anyway) and we were on her back deck when I noticed she had this huge planter of ivy that looked absolutely pathetic from being outside in the (relatively) cold weather. So I said something to her about knowing how to bring it back to life since we had ivy plants everywhere in the house when I was in college....yaddayaddayadda.

We instantly figured out that we were both Alpha Phis and she dragged me by the wrist into her house to show me the Alpha Phi magnet on her fridge (which is absolutely platered with pics on all sides so I never would have found it).

Now I live down the street from her, and every time she sees me she says "Hi Sis!" which just cracks us both up since my husband is her "son".
Old 12-30-2005, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

What a sweet and fun thread to start...

1) A parent (of one of the cutest little girls in my classroom this year) read that I was an Alpha Phi from the bio I sent home to families each year...She told me that she was an A-Phi from Northwestern and that because of Alpha Phi she stayed in college and that it was one of the most rewarding and positive experiences in her life...So I have a little legacy I see each and every day! This little girl has a hard time understanding about a 'club' being just for girls..."You have to have boys in your club teacher, that's not very nice...I thought girls can't have a club just for girls..."

2) While at initiation last spring with my collegiate chapter one of the women came to me and asked if I taught first grade years ago at a small elementary school in my hometown...turns out she was one of MY students in 1990-91..I'd insert a pic but can't figure out how to do it...
Old 12-31-2005, 12:47 AM

that's crazy! You probably never thought that she would grow up to be your sister!lol
Old 12-31-2005, 01:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Had a couple of experiences this past week! I am the poor sap who got the work the returns desk this week (who did I tick off so badly????). Ah the joys of retail!

Yesterday, I had an older alumnae, in her 50s or 60s come up and "shake my hand" She initiated at Portland State back in the day.

Today I had an alumnae from the Sigma chapter come thru my line with her infant son. We got to chatting about her living in the house. She only had a gift receipt (not a full receipt)--she was supposed to get only store credit. My finger mistakenly hit the cash button! OOOPS!

I wrote on a post it note "Happy New Year, aoe"

She winked and said "back at cha!"

It put a smile on my face (working the returns desk can be hell!)

I have also met an alumnae from Washington State. She brings her little girl in all the time. We shoot the breeze every once in a while!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaPhiBubbles
My best friend's dad got remarried a few years ago, ironically to the mother of someone I was friends with in high school (different high school, hadn't spoken to in years type of thing). They bought a bed & breakfast up in Hood River, Oregon and my friend and I decided to surprise her dad over one summer and drove up there. One day we were in the kitchen talking, and her stepmom stops and looks at my lavalier and says "oh! is that Alpha Phi?" and I said yes, of course, and I guess she was an Alpha Phi at Oregon State. It was really exciting, and then I realized that one of the rooms (they were all named after flowers, you know how B&B's go) was called "forget-me-not" and it was because of her in Alpha Phi! It was cute, and I was really excited...but my friend was rolling her eyes the whole time haha.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Although not someone I knew personally prior to finding out she was an APhi, I figured I'd post my story here. (I didn't want to create a new thread.)

I was bumming around the house yesterday, wearing an APhi t-shirt, when my mom called me up and asked if I wanted to go to dinner. She said she'd be by in a few minutes to pick me up. I generally don't wear my old college t-shirts out but due to time constaints I had no choice.

At the restaurant last night, I was at the salad bar when I felt a woman from across the way staring at me. I look up at her and she shouts, "I'm an Alpha Phi!" We talked for a few minutes and she mentioned that she was from the Stanford chapter. She also showed interest in starting an alumnae group down here. I told her about my experieneces a couple of years ago trying to get that rolling but she's very eager to try again. We exchanged contact info so we'll see what happens.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I've got two....

First happened last November at this gigantic industry trade show in NYC. I was manning a recruiting booth for the career fair section, and a gaggle of GORGEOUS southern girls comes waltzing over and begins to ask about my company, what we do, etc. Knowing that they are college age, I ask where they are from and find out they are from ECU - one of the few NC schools with a APhi chapter. I casually ask if they are in a sorority, and sure enough the entire group are Phis!!

Second one happened this past summer at my best friend's law school graduation...she had two of her college friends there who I had never met, but were a ton of fun to talk to and just great gals. We start chatting some during the graduation reception, and one of the girls says that she was in a sorority - when I ask which one, turns out both girls are Alpha Phis!

Both encounters ended with the obligatory gigantic smiles and "oh my god so am I!" screams...yes, at the trade show half of my colleagues thought I was nuts.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I take a yoga class through the city Parks and Rec class. Since yesterday was badge day and I wasn't badge appropriate, I wore a sweatshirt. After class, an older lady comes up to me. She is an alumna of Cal State Northridge. She used to work with the U of Pacific chapter. She takes the class with her husband

We are going to meet up for lunch
Old 04-30-2008, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Crashing...
one of your sisters is on Wheel of Fortune right now.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw her on wheel of fortune!!! I was getting my nails done when I saw, and the lady doing my nails looked kind of confused when I got really excited!

OP-
I went to a friend from back home's backyard bbq last summer and ended up chatting with his aunt for a long time. She was completely awesome and she was so young at heart. As I was leaving I noticed a minivan with an Alpha Phi Alumnae sticker!! I rushed back to the party and was all "WHO'S CAR IS THAT??" and it was hers! I was very excited
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw a gal at the gym the other day with an Alpha Phi shirt from Texas Tech (Gamma Iota). She was across the way so I didn't get a chance to talk with her. Boo!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my best friends just got married - his new mother-in-law is an Alpha Phi!