GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,436
1 members and 1,435 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
GRE scores

What is a good GRE score to get into a top-tier grad school? If you have a good idea per section and the writing part, please let me know.

Thank you!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Re: GRE scores

Quote:
Originally posted by LightBulb
What is a good GRE score to get into a top-tier grad school? If you have a good idea per section and the writing part, please let me know.

Thank you!
It would be dependent on your area of focus and what schools are "top-tier" in that area. Generally schools give average GRE schools of their admitted students, so that prospective students can gauge where they fall. And even if you are "less than average" in comparison to other students, other factors influence admittance, like your statement of purpose and letters of rec.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Usually, the program will say they want a minimum of XXXX for the GRE score of applicants. I know the programs I applied to did, anyways
Old 12-05-2005, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
My school only required a 350 on each section. I think that's pretty low, right?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
My school only required a 350 on each section. I think that's pretty low, right?
For 700 total? I agree with you that it's pretty low.

My program required 1000 total. I had to take the GRE twice, what a glorious experience

Last edited by AUDeltaGam; 12-05-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
There are big differences between master's programs and ph.d. programs. additionally, there is a definetely a difference between the university's required GRE score and the department's expected scores. some individual programs will post info about the last five year's worth of applicants including average GRE scores. that may give you a better idea...

- marissa
A GD
Old 12-07-2005, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: GRE scores

Quote:
Originally posted by LightBulb

Thank you!
I was told point-blank for the PhD program I wanted at Brown, they wouldn't look at any applications that had a combined score lower than 1400. My particular program didn't require I send the scores, so I think I'm going to just not send them ...

It's cold there anyway ;p
Old 12-12-2005, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GRITS Send a message via Yahoo to GRITS
I'm applying to the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern as well as a few other J-school, and I've tried to look for a minimum score, but have not had any luck/ Does anyone have that information?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by GRITS
I'm applying to the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern as well as a few other J-school, and I've tried to look for a minimum score, but have not had any luck/ Does anyone have that information?
You probably should email the graduate coordinator at each program you are interested in. They would be able to provide you with that information.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GRITS Send a message via Yahoo to GRITS
Thanks! I'm taking the GRE on Wednesday, so I'm just trying to make sure I have everything taken care of.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRITS
Great J-school - if it wasn't for the distance from home, I was seriously considering going there for undergrad.

Contact the school - Medill is pretty competitive, so I'm guessing that either your score would have to be good, or your grades/portfolio would have to be solid.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Post piece of advice....

to anyone applying to a grad program, i encourage you to get in contact with the program director. if possible, i would make an appointment to meet with that person and perhaps a professor in the department. they would be able to clarify admission requirements and perhaps help you present the best application possible.

i did this over the summer for a program i was interested in and found that although the gre was required, it was a huge factor in deciding admissions. the director even told me that student were admitted with less than favorable gre scores but their other credentials were on point.

basically, the school/s you are applying to can answer your questions best.

good luck to everyone studying fro gres and applying to grad school!
Old 12-15-2005, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I just looked at the scores for the school I'd like to go to and it said a combined score of 1000 is "desirable." So I'm studying like crazy over the break, April just seems to be getting closer and closer....

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by christiangirl
I just looked at the scores for the school I'd like to go to and it said a combined score of 1000 is "desirable." So I'm studying like crazy over the break, April just seems to be getting closer and closer....
Learn your basic math formulas!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

my experience with the GRE

1. the math is the exact same level of difficulty as the SAT

2. the verbal is much more difficult than that of the SAT

3. if you grew up in a country that does not have multiple choice tests (e.g. ME), you will most likely not do fantastically overall, BUT your math will outshine your verbal easily, even if you are bad at math in general